Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

Hi! I'm a little girl...12 to be exact, but that was only in January. I have a knack for arts and crafts, and recently have had a new interest for making teddybears. But, I have a question. This might sound a little silly, but how do u use those safety joints? Plese help...im kinda desperate. thx:) i appreciate it. if i finish my bear, maybe ill post a picture of it for all of u kind peoples to see.

Updated: For all u peoples who are waiting to see my finished bear, it will be up by tomorrow, so hang in there! :thumbsup:
O_o uh oh...the thing is too big. sry..if u go on facebook, it is posted here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … 1398619359.

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

Hi , well done you making bears at 12, thats really brilliant. I can't help with the safety joints as I have never used them, I usually use nut and bolt joints, but I'm sure some of the teddy artists on this site will help. Also there is the library here if you click on the 'joints' link there will be some info there, looking forward to seeing your finished bear  bear_thumb

thank u off the paw:)  i will most likely post the pic when i finish, but i still need to know how to use those safety joints..

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi Bearyfun, with plastic joints you have two peices, one like a polo mint (round with a hole in the middle) and the other like a plastic screw. This website may help

http://www.bearsandbedtime.com/faq/jointing.htm

East Neuk

Hello again,

I have looked in one of my bear books, they say the joints are put in place before the bear is stuffed because they are pushed together so both sides must be on a firm base to get a tight fit. joints can be tightened placing a safety joint punch onto the stem, over the metal or plastic washer and tapping the joint firmly with a hammer as far down the stem as possible.

So It looks like there is a special safety joint tool needed. Although the joints you have may be a more modern version? Lock nut and bolt joints are very easy to use but you need a tightening tool for these too. There are good bear making supply sites on-line, I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention them on here but if you type - bear making supplies into google you will see them, they stock all the tools and more.

Good luck and cant wait to see your finished bear x   bear_thumb

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Bearyfun  bear_happy

I have a daughter your age, so I think it is awesome that you are making bears !!  The safety joints are pretty easy to use but you have to push them together REALLY hard sometimes.  Once they are locked together they are almost impossible to pull apart.

I just took these pictures to help explain how they work.  I hope they help you understand better, pictures always help me. 

1) I assume your joint has 3 pieces like this ( maybe not the same colors though )
DISKS_1.jpg

2) They go together like this :
joint3.jpg

3) I used an arm as an example here.  The long joint goes through a hole you make on the inner arm (side that touches the body ) .  Then through a hole in the side of the  body.  It will stick out inside the bears body.
Then attach the disk (it's black in my example).  Over the disk,  attach the smaller circle .  That is the part that you have to push really hard with your thumbs as far as you can.  It will make a noise as it moves over the joint.
Joint2.jpg

4) Here is what it looks like side on all attached.  It will be all squished tightly together when you do it though :)
joint4.jpg

Does that make sense ???  I can't wait to see your bear when it is done ! bear_thumb

thx uall!!! i think i know how to use it now bear_thumb thx ;)

P.S. be sure to keep checking, though, i will most likely post the finished bear bear_original thx again  bear_smile

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Brilliant tutorial Tammy. bear_thumb   they can be fiddly things to explain.
I think it is truely marvelous Bearyfun that you have decided to give bear making ago.
I hope all works out well and we get to see the photos.  :dance:
Wendy

thank u matilda :hug:

K Pawz Guest

awesome tutorial Tammy!
Welcome to TT bearyfun, that is awesome you have started making bears, can't wait to see the finished bear!
Happy bear making!
Hugs
Krista

u too, krista bear_smile happy bear making bear_happy by the way...how to make good bear clothes? just a little extra thing..then i can show u guys the finished product. i didnt safety joint it, though, i used a much cheaper method of jointing it that actually works. and the price? o$ to joint, hehe..

P.S. u can joint it that way by taking those thingymajigs in the supermarkets that are used to tie up bags. it's really just wire, so scratch off the red stuff, and u can put it through buttons. enclose the wire ends, and voila...O$ joint.

bye. by the way, also, how to show pics? sry for being such a annoying question person..hehe... bear_wacko just plese help:)

East Neuk

Hi Bearyfun, well done very creative, hows your bear coming along? what are you going to name him?  bear_original  You could knit him a hat, keep his ears warm bear_grin

hi off the paw bear_original  i think im going to make my bear a girl. i ran out of stuffing, so my mom is getting me more, but by the end of this week, i defeniteley will be finished. i made my bear a cooking bear, with a little baggie to put her cooking supplies, foods, and a paper with her secret ingredient. i made her a pretty, white apron, and i dont know what to name her , yet. if u have a name suggestion, that will be very helpful bear_happy

P.S. her secret ingredient is a pinch of love and friendship. hehe..

East Neuk

Hi Bearyfun, She sounds like a wonderful bear. My bears usually tell me their name when they are just about finished, I'm sure your bear will too, looking forward to seeing her photos, well it's bedtime in Scotland now, so goodnight and happy bear making     bear_thumb

ok off the paw bear_original ill post it as soon as possible.

Board footer