Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Perhaps some of you have seen on television or in craft stores the hand held electric scissors that do all the cutting for you? Have any of you tried these for cutting mohair? As I am having to find every way possible to save my hands from further damage I'm thinging these would be a great tool. I'd love your feed back if you've tried them. I'm not sure what to think and don't want to buy them if they don't work. I'm wondering if I'd be able to cut just the backing with them of it they'd cut mohair and all.

Thoughts?  :/

Thank you
Daphne

Deb Upstate New York

Have you seen on-line or just TV.  I'd like to see what you're talking about.  Send a link if you have one.  <smile>

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here's a link to one brand I've seen : http://www.nfgsales.com/cutter.htm
Here's another link to the same but this site looks like it might have other sewing goodies we'd like!  bear_grin http://store.yahoo.com/sewingwarehouse/ … 28500.html

Electric Scissors: These lightweight, comfortable cutters are good for multiple layers, chenille projects and cutting patterns. They're not designed for detail work, but can cut many different fabric types, including suede and leather. Electric scissors are faster and easier on hands that tire easily or have difficulty with regular scissors. Practice will give you the same control as with manual scissors.

this6g.jpg Dritz brand

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Can you try them and return them if you don't like them?  I think they would be a very good option for you, my dear.  I only know one person who uses electronic scissors and she quilts...she like them for doing rag quilts for all that repetitive snipping. 

Good Luck!!!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think they'd take some getting used to...and you have to be careful with the pile...ie not to cut it...but I'm sure you could use them...would they trim the seam allowance pile away ? You'd still have to do that with scissors I guess

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You people need to get beard trimmers for that seam allowance trimming!  I don't trim my allowances, but I can't live without my professional-quality hair clipper (has attachments that trim from 1/8 inch to 1/5 inches) and my battery-operated, handheld beard trimmer, which clips 1/8" and below.  The guards come off easily and you can use the beard trimmer to shave bald as well... such as for allowances.

Daphne, please tell me you've been using clippers or trimmers for some of this stuff, to this point.  ???  If not, go to Target and get some NOW.  To quote our UK friends, they "work a treat."  bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok, I am confused... are you talking about "cutting out" or trimming???

Deb Upstate New York

Daphne ~

I could have sworn I typed this once already this am ... probably show up on another topic.  But anyway, I used to use a pair of my mom's that looked similar to this.  That was 30 years ago, so I'm sure today's are much improved (not that they were bad way back when).  I can imagine they would probably slip around the mohair fabric back nicely for cutting out.

I'd give them a try ... especially if there's a money back satisfaction guarantee.

(My interpretation of your note was that you were looking to cut, not trim fur.)

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I am afraid I do it the slow way...I hand trim the seams and everything else with my scissors. I don't like clippers...never have. In the end it's personal preference I guess.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, I was thinking of them to cut out the pattern. I'm afraid I've been trimming my seam allowances by hand but I only trim the allowances on the face and where all pieces come together on the bottom of the body to remove bulk. I DON'T do the whole bear.

Shantell, I do a lot of rag quilting.... well did... and I'm piecing together 5 more bear sized ones at the moment. I wondered about these electric scissors for ragging. My DAD has voluntered to do the rag snipping for me.  bear_wub Gotta love him! Thanks for mentioning your friend!

Anymore feedback is of course very welcome!!! Like, if you HAVE tried them.... what brand might be good?

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Daphne
I use the electric scissors for quilting only especially when doing my own chenille. I can't imagine using them to cut the mohair as they are bulky and I don't think you would have the same control. The same goes for ragging quilts etc Are you using the spring loaded Fiskar scissors to cut out your bears? They would be a better investment. On the topic of scissors there are also special scissors for cutting the seams to make them raggy.
Hugs
Gail

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

no no no no No! Garnet bought me a pair and they were $100.00. Exactly the pair shown. They are cheaply made and do not work for bear making and other crafts that have any kind of a pile. Might be just great for sewing clothing etc. but I only do bears. I would NOT recommend them!

many Hugs Louise

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Louise,
I found a site with consumer feedback about these particular ones, even before seeing your post tonight and there were a lot of complaints! So..... I think it might be worth just paying Dad!  :lol:

Gail,
Special scissors for ragging? Do tell!! Please!
I have been using my springy Fiskars right along. But the squeezing motion..... I can do it for 5 minutes before fatigue and aching set in. I should just find a different craft...... hmmmmm...... eating chocolate????  bear_tongue

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Daphne, I'm not having any luck...she may be out of town who knows...I'll keep trying to get in touch with her. 

Your dad sounds like a real sweetie...you better keep him!!!  My dad would probably do the same thing except I'd be afraid he'd accidently snip through the seam.  He ran his hand through the planer the other day...I threatened to take his toys away from him if he couldn't play with them right.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for trying, Shantell!

And while I'm on the subject of chocolate..... my neighbor brought me the most delicious homemade truffles today! I thought of all of you as I devoured them! Wow, they were amazing! She's a fantastic baker! I'm having my bear club meeting this Saturday.... guess what we'll be eating at 10am???!!!  bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Daphne, you didn't even think of your bestest bud in Australia before devouring those chocolates, how could you ?? 

I'm so hurt !!!!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  :P

I bet they were YUMMY!

Danni

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

You people need to get beard trimmers for that seam allowance trimming!

Oh heck YES!  AFter hearing about this here on TT I got a moustache trimmer at Walmart for $14.95 to trim the mohair out of the seam allowances... it works like a dream!!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Daphne
If you go here you will see the scissors for cutting rag quilts http://www.thecalicocat.com/notions-scissors.htm
They are spring loaded with cushioned grip handles. They are well worth the cost!!!
Hugs
Gail

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Daphne,
Have you ever tried cutting out your bears using a razor blade?  I know it will work on real fur and Edinburgh mohair.  I have not used it on Intercal's.  Back when I was using the razor blade the Intercal fabric I had was too loosely woven.
Donna

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Hi Daphne
I have tried the scissors you are referring to. My Dad bought me some for my birthday. They work great on regular fabric for sewing, but not so well on mohair. They don't have as tight a turning radius and they tend to get the mohair stuck in them.  Just my 2 cents worth bear_innocent bear_innocent
Sonya

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Gail, Donna, Shantell, Laura & Sonya,
Thank you for all of your input. :thumbsup:
I have given up on the idea.  :(
I will try those scissors for ragging though, Gail. Thanks!
Now, guess I'll go dig out my Fiskars!
Daphne

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Mom and I discovered after my BIL bought them on clearance, that beard and mustache trimmers work great for clipping the seam allowances. I buy the ones from Wahl Clipper that are battery operated and sell for about $10.00 you can find them in the Heatlh and Beatuy Aids section at Wal-Mart. Then I use them to finish trimming my hares/bears faces.
I am not sure about using electric scissors. I don't think I would care to try it.

Hugs,
Jared

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You'll all be glad to know I have totally given up on the idea of electric scissors.

I have gotten my hubby a new beard trimmer for Christmas so I can inherit his old one officially for the bears!  bear_grin Am I sneaky or what?  :twisted:

Daphne

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance: Daphne, you're a genius!  :hug:

Eileen

Board footer