Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

It's TIME!!! The first real informational letter came from the Reunion committee this past week: this is a biggie show and if you would like to part of this wonderful, legendery weekend which you've heard about, now is your opportunity, as it's written that there are a few sales tables available!

We're finally getting a peek into what's going to happen: this is the first Reunion that Steve and Deslyn Schutt are not in charge (after 4 very trying/exhausting but extremely well-organized and successful events: 1990, 95, 00 & 05) and the town committee is a bit behind in their planning stages, as the ones that we've become accustomed to with Steve & Deslyn.

In the past, the theme of the next Reunion was decided upon 3 full years in advance of the event and announced to the Artists 2 years prior; (held in June every 5 years during Clarion's annual town festival) auction pieces were then due in Clarion one year before the event so they could be displayed as well as used for publicity purposes throughout the international teddy bear world. That gave us a full year to implement our ideas and get them to Clarion.

The letter that arrived begins with this sentence: We have passed the 15 month mark for the TBRH2010 and...

The Theme for 2010 is: HOLIDAYS

We have about 5 months to design, create and deliver our auction pieces, pulling out all stops and designing two Most Excellent pieces to showcase our talent, the second being one for The Spectacular Bear Display.

Participation in both of these events is voluntary but they do directly affect the fees one pays for the show table: there is no cost for meals and housing as we are 'put up' in homes of the most friendly town people (like being at a great B&B) and meals are all arranged for, from buffets at the chicken/pizza house to pancake breakfast cooked by the fireman at the station. Exhibitors and collectors are there from around the globe.  The whole weekend is a unique upper Midwestern experience not to be missed!

Here is the contact info for anyone interested:

email: tbrh2010@yahoo.com

Web: http://www.clarion-iowa.com

These will change as the dates get nearer....

Teddy Bear Reunion in The Heartland 2010
P O Box 382
Clarion IA 50525
Phone: +515.532.2256
Fax: +515.532.2511

See you there!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Bobby: I went the last time and took classes from artist (like you with the needle felting). Do they have bear making classes this time? I also plan on going as it was one of the best times!!!

suburban Chicago

Hi again Michelle!, there have always been classes - I know I'll have at least one again.

Berta Hesen-Minten from the Netherlands has proposals for 2 - we won't know the 'class list' until you will, as we'll receive them as 'attendees', too.

The build-up to June 2010 has begun!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Hey Bobbie! bear_wub I'll be there......looking forward to it!  I was wondering about that date for the auction pieces to be submitted myself.  At first I thought it must be a typo, but then realized that no, it is the date.  Not much time to work up an idea........I admit to feeling rushed and a little stressed over it, especially that I have two bear shows this fall coming up as well and this is a completely new endeavor for me with the auction.  Now to my other questions about auction pieces.  I have never done anything like this before......any advice in general on submissions?  I assume we put our best work forward?  Is the theme open to a lot of interpretation, or would 'Holidays' mean only Christmas time?  What type of thing have people done in the past, as something to go by?  Gosh, but I have no idea what to do or where to start........what size to make........what material to work in or type and level of design......eeek! bear_shocked   Feeling a little overwhelmed here! bear_wacko

suburban Chicago

I'll put my letter through the scanner after supper and post it: in general, it ANY holiday! Casimir Pulaski Day (celebrated more in Illinois than any other state for some unknown reason...) National Pickle Day (which just so happens to be 14 Nov..  in case you were wondering!!!)

So - anything goes!
Yes, make it one of your best pieces.  I believe you split the auction price 50/50. Their half goes into the town's coffers for it's charities.

The Spectacular Bear Display is another feature they have in another building (usually a school gym—and all of these ARE thoroughly locked and Guarded!) which the public pays to view. These are even more elaborate than auction pieces. They don't have to be offered for sale; if they are, the artist sets the price. The split is 90/10%, with only 10% staying with the town.

You'll read it in the letter. If it's OK, I'll post whatever missives I receive from the committee(s) into this thread and all of the info will be in one place for any artist and collector who's interested to refer back to as the Reunion approaches.

As background, for those who weren't around in the mid- to late-80s, when Steve Schutt was designing artist bears (he's one of the pioneers) as well as teaching school in mid-upper Iowa. There was a very small, widely-flung network of bear makers/artists in those days, almost before trade shows became well-known, and he was probably viewed with much skepticism from these pragmatic Midwestern 'farm folk. Even though Clarion is a county seat, it's still rural America.

So Steve wanted to show his 'neighbors' just what the bear world was all about, and at the same time, he wanted to bring his good bear friends (most of them lived on the Right & Left Coasts) to his Hometown, to give them a taste of rural/small town America.

Clarion has an annual Fair in the Park every June: the scope of what Steve and his Uncle, Deslyn, had planned was so large that they decided then that if the event was to be repeated, it would be at least 5 years before they could do so again, as that's approximately how long it took to plan the first - which took place in 1990.

And the first Reunion in The Heartland came to be.

(Luann, I've been bogged down - I'll get back to you - Soon!)

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Thanks for posting the contact info! I e-mailed them last night regarding slaes tables. I attatched two photos of my work in case they wanted to see my work. I got an e-mail back today saying I saved a step by sending the photos as the comittee needs to see them. She said I should have an answer within a week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be accepted. I have no idea how much the tables are-hopefully not totally out of my price range.  But I imagine this is a great show.
Beth

suburban Chicago

The tables - even at full price, meaning you o NOT put a bear into either the Auction or the Spectacular Bear Display are still less expensive than most of the show tables in the US. The going rate for tables at the major shows can be between $200 - 500.

But even if that was the price, you MUST consider this - you are paying nothing for 3 night's housing and 3 day's food! How can you go wrong?

It is truly a festive affair - and we get a float all of our own to ride on in the Parade! The showroom closes for 2 (3?) hours about noon on Sat, to jump onto a hay wagon, ride in the parade through town, browse through the town square and buy items at the outdoor craft fair made by the local Iowans. Then we hop a trolley and go back to the high school for a few more hours of sales in late afternoon before a BBQ supper in the HS parking lot.

It sounds as though you acted in time - good for you for being ready and acting on it.

Bobbie

Iowa
Website

Bobbie, thanks so much for clarifying things for me!!  I do appreciate that......have notched down a few panic levels now! bear_tongue  I'm now feeling some anticipation and excitement and looking forward to creating a special auction piece.  That's much better than the overwhelming panic I felt earlier! bear_thumb  Thanks again! :hug:  :hug:  I was a visitor to the last Clarion show, and remember quite well the Spectacular Bear Display.  It was simply amazing!! :dance:   My mind was boggled, my eyes just too full of gorgeous eye candy in such a large dose.  I am so excited that this time around I will be taking part with one of my creations on the other side of those ropes!! :dance:  :dance: I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the whole event......a dream come true for me, and something I've worked toward since my visit in 2005.

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Free lodging and free food?!?! This show sounds amazing! I know absolutly nothing about it except for what you have posted here. But from what I have read here it sounds like a great show to do. So I really really hope I am accepted.
A parade and BBQ sounds like soo much fun too! My fingers AND toes are crossed in hopes I am able to do this show!!!
Beth

Krys SoCal

I went in 2005 as a collector and back then I paid $150 to register ($45 extra for the Boyds portion) which covered food during my stay and classes/seminars. If you promised to buy 2 bears you got to stay with a host family for free. You were expected to give a super nice gift to your host family. My bear buddies and I had a terrific time! Looking forward to going again next year.

Krys from SoCal

suburban Chicago

Thank You (AND your Bear Buddies!) for coming all that way, Krys! And we hope you do enjoy another Reunion next year! I wasn't sure how the classes run, because I've not taken any, just given them.
I did know that attendees are asked/required (though it's an Honor system) to purchase at least 2 pieces in the showroom from the artists, but from the calibre of the work there, I think it would be hard to limit myself to 20, not just 2!
And all attendees are asked to bring a nice present to their Hosts. It's the very least we can do for turning their homes over to us for 3 to 4 days and nights!

See you next year - Please do introduce yourself in the showroom, on the float, in town, Somewhere - so I can match faces with names. Perhaps we should be wearing a little TT pin, like the members did for the Nevada City (was that it?) show a year or two back. Does that sound like a good idea? Michelle? Berta? Krys?  Who else??
I'd be glad to organize it: I've already got several dozen pinbacks I won't be using.

Iowa
Website

Perhaps we should be wearing a little TT pin, like the members did for the Nevada City (was that it?) show a year or two back. Does that sound like a good idea? Michelle? Berta? Krys?  Who else??

Excellent idea!! bear_thumb Can we not buy buttons from Intercal?  Or is that only T-shirts?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Excellent idea!!  Can we not buy buttons from Intercal?  Or is that only T-shirts?

Yes, you can buy the pins from Intercal.  On the Index Page, scroll down to the Marketplace.  Right above the Teddy Bears and Other Friends Forum are thumbnails of current creations for sale.  At the end are the t-shirts and pins.

suburban Chicago

OK - GREAT! I just ordered another pin so I'm sure I'll have one (not lost...) next June, and added 2 more T-shirts, too!
They're on sale at half price so you get 2-for-1!
How can we pass up that  deal?

I'm READY!

Bobbie

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

I will be there!!!! Got my letter quite a long time ago. Just haven't been able to post.

suburban Chicago

Oh GOOD, Amy - I've been thinking about you & DH! (you've crossed my mind a lot recently [no new reports] especially as today was our tax day with Judy!)
hggzzz
B

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Just updated my other thread. Looks like we are still in for a long haul.  I can't promise I will be in Schaumburg for Spring, but am going to do my darnedest to get to TBAI. I may have to ship Scott up to his brother's for a week. August is a long way away.  Have missed Good Bears meetings due to doctors & just tring to keep up with "things", so I haven't seen Judy since before Christmas.  Afraid I am behind in my bear making too.   Gotta get going on those challenge items. Got tons of ideas & JUST NO TIME!
Amy

Board footer