Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Leslea South Africa

Hi all! I have a piece of mohair that's been hanging around for a while and the fur has been squashed up in the wrong direction in pathches :redface:  I have tried gently brushing it without effect. Would it be ok to wet the fur slightly and brush it then or is there anouther way to correct this.
I would appreciate any advice you may have,
thanks
Leslea

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Leslea,

You could dampen the mohair and brush it in the right direction, the problem would be if the mohair has a finish to it. If it's curly or crushed then usually once you wet it and brush it then you lose that finish. If it's just a straight mohair then by all means go for it, get it wet and brush it out.

big hugs

Shane

Leslea South Africa

Thanks Shane, it is a straight mohair so i'll give it a bash.
Hugs
Leslea

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Leslea, steaming it will probably affect the nap more quickly and thoroughly than 'wetting it slightly'.
The steam gets into the fiber, opens them up and while they're warm you can re-direct them with your fingers, a brush, comb - whatever.
It will be easiest to handle if you can work on the whole piece at once, or even a yard at a time: rather than over an ironing board - hang the piece over a straight edge or pin to to a wall, etc... Steam and work on as much of an area that you can comfortably reach at once then move to the adjoining section(s).

It's not necessary to get the backing damp as that doesn't need changing (with trying to wet the fabric 'slightly' the backing will get wet. Then it should be pinned/stretched out to dry evenly as some will pucker without it.)
It's just the natural fibers you want to move in a new direction so work on a small area at a time. If you use your iron for shooting steam out of, just don't let the faceplate touch the fibers! Move the iron over the surface but keep it a few inches away. A clothing/drapery steamer works best but if you've got a steam iron (especially one with that pressure blast feature) that will penetrate and do what you wish.
You can go over it a second time if it still needs it.

Allow the fabric to remain hanging until completely dry. This is why the ironing board won't work very well: eventually you need to hang this anyway while it dries and the fibers set in their new positions.
It's always best to hang fabric with a nap rather than folding and laying flat during storage.
Unless you don't mind doing this every time you want to cut some more off this piece!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have thoroughly soaked and gently washed many pieces of mohair.  I have never lost the curl, sometimes it gets more curl.  I have lost some matting.  It really takes to wetting and washing well.
Joane

Leslea South Africa

Thanks for the info! I'm going to make a better plan for storage.It really was frustrating to find a lovely piece of fabric squashed. I'm still learning about working with mohair as i've had to work with synthetics quite a lot in the past. But mohair makes all the difference does'nt it!
Thanks again
Leslea

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

i wash and tumble dry my mohair it seems to make it thicker and fluffier

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

I store great quantities  of mohair and the folded pieces can be a pain to deal with.  I love steaming small areas especially after the bear is made...but the easiest way to deal with larger areas  is with a light spray of water and a hair dryer and brush.  The only thing that won't work on very well is the curly matted finish. 
Just lay your fabric out ...most of us are working with fat quarters or 1/3 or 1/2 yards... weight the edges or pin... use a spray bottle of water ...lightly spritz...then just blow dry... your fur should go in any direction you choose. 
hope this helps
Gail

Leslea South Africa

Thanks Gail, that does help. I would'nt have thought to steam after the bear is made. I read somewhere once that hair products can be used when finishing off natural fibre bears aswell, like hairspray or gel?  I have'nt tried but now that i know mohair can be cleaned (if it doesnt turn out so great) maybe i'll give it a try.
Hugs
Leslea

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

hmmmm.... I'd avoid real human hair products, Leslea.
We wash our own hair quite regularly and remove their residue. Leaving these coatings on the fibers are likely to become 'dust traps'. I know quite a few bear makers do use hair spray to hold hair/fiber in place but it's far better to re-direct the fiber through steaming to hold it in new directions.

Leslea South Africa

Thanks for the heads-up Bobbie, I've got a lot to learn!
Hugs
Leslea

Board footer