Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I made a bear from real fur, lined with muslin. The seams feel all bumpy. It doesn't show on the bear but if you feel the seams they feel bumpy.  :/
And how do you get the joints tighter on the real fur. I had a terrible time with the joints. I used thin discs 1" with cotter pins.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Do you mean your seams or the ones from the pieced original garment? I think it depends on the fur whether you can feel the seams from piecing or not. My seams don't feel bumby.
I only use set screws and hardboard disc joints on real fur bears, because they are stronger and I feel I need something strong for fur. I can make them so hard the limbs won't move at all.

Sabine

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I use bolts on most all but the mini bears.....then I don't have to worry.  I didn't notice the seams being bumpy, but the very nature of using recycled fur would indicate that the leather probably isn't at its most supple best.  Most people wouldn't notice a pimple or two because they are so overawed by the real fur.  Lining with muslin is a must and I'm glad you did....that way the stress of stuffing is on the muslin....I don't stuff to maximum firmness though....

Kathy I'd love to see a picture

Dilu

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Kathy,
Congrsat on making a real fur bear.  They are a challenge so to even complete one is an accomplishment !   As for bumpy seams is that where you are handsewing the openings ?  You will improve with time.  I don't think it can be completely eliminated, like Dilu said.  It is just the nature of the pelts.  Just be sure to line up the openings and do a close ladder stitch, tuck that pelt under as you close the seam. 

Lining is a must as Dilu said.  I also firmly, but gently stuff to eliminate putting too much stress on the pelts. And,  I too use screw and locknut joints for the limbs.  I can get them really tight. 

Oh yes, PICTURES are a must....show us the cutie !

Northern Nevada, USA

furbear1.JPGfurbear2.JPGokay after closely examining the bear I think the only bumpy seam is the back and I think I can fix it. Here is the picture. she is the largest bear I have ever made.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

She is gorgeous, Kathy! You have done a wonderful job! Working with real fur is much harder than working with anything else, she has such a cute expression. I always use lock nuts and bolts on real fur as well because you can get them just as tight as you want to.

Northern Nevada, USA

Okay I am definetly getting some locknuts and bolts. this bear has really loose joints kind of makes her like a newborn cub with her arms are curled.

Thanks for the help. she is probably a keeper.My daughter is in love with her.
Hugs,
Kathy :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Kathy

What a beautiful scrumptious little gal......and a new born cub kind of flopping is great, sweet, who doesn't love a baby?  Congratulations

Intercal has a lock nuts and bolts- I sue them because I don't have to worry about fit, they go through the wholes in the discs, and they come in quantities that make sense......

And for me the prices are actually cheaper than the local hardware store.....go figure

bear_tongue

Northern Nevada, USA

I just ordered some lock nuts and bolts with washers now
Someone ( Dilu) is going to have to" splain it to me"  cause I am not sure how to do it. bear_ermm :P
Kathy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kathy , I learned bear making many years ago on real fur and it is much more difficult to work with than mohair.  Yoru bear is really cute.  Nice job!

Along with washers, hard board discs, bolts, and lock nuts , you will need the tools to tighten them.  I use vice grips to hold onto the flat end of the bolt while turning the nut with a nut driver.  It is very easy to do.  Good luck!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I dunno, I've been making the real fur bears since 2001, and I've just made my first few mohair bears....personally I think the real fur is easier!  bear_grin

Seriously, you've done a nice job on this little girly, and floppy joints should be considered part of her character.  I've always used the epoxied locknut joints from Out of Hand.  https://www.out-of-hand.com/joints.php They're out of Canada, and have wonderful service, and great joints 'n eyes. 

As for the bumpy bits on her back seam, it sounds as though you might have been making the ladder stitches too large, or possibly too tight....either of which will cause the bumps. 

Give your adorable muskrat baby bear a hug from me  bear_wub

Board footer