Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

sanibear Florida

hello, i tryed to put some eye lids on the eyes... but first it didnt wanted to stay.. i tryed crazy glue.. dosnt work.
so now i dont know what i should do. or maybe my material is wrong i used felt for it.
maybe someone knows what to do...
thanks again
bear_happy sandra

teeeej Brisbane

I recently did a workshop that used ultrasuede for eyelids. We used an acetone based craft glue. And we used tweezers to force the eyelid partially behind the eye. You have to make sure the edges are hidden behind the eye. It doesn't always stay straight away, you have to kind of work at it for a little while so that it stays in place and you get a nice eyelid shape.

Here is another thread that discusses eyelids... http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=4885

----
Therese

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I use ultra suede, never tried felt.

http://www.monicasattictreasures.com.au … orial.html

I dont do it all the same ,I use the same mesuring system and attach the longest line across the eye using gel super glue (i dont fold) and i do it before inserting the eye. Pull in the sides of the eye lid and glue. i then cut V shapes out of the eye lid at the top so when you fold them behind the eye they dont overlap and lay flat. Leave to dry and insert as usual. :)

I will take some pics when I find my glue!

Take care,

Richy~

sanibear Florida

hello,
thanks so much Therese and Richy... i will try it..
that would be great ,richy if youcould make some pics i think that would be very help full.
sandra

teeeej Brisbane

The workshop I did was with Monica Spicer! Silly me I should have remembered about the tutorials on her website. :wacko:

Edit- I didn't fold the ultrasuede either. It seems to work either way.

sanibear Florida

Therese,
i was looking for this website...lol my computer broke couple month ago.. and i lost her web site, she has some great tutorials on there.
thanks again so much  bear_grin

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Finally got some photos! Although, I didn't find my Gel Super glue and so used liquid and non permanent pens. I will show you what it does!

1.JPG
1.Find a straight edge, or cut one yourself. As the eye I was using is, 15mm . I drew a line to 30mm.

2.JPG
2.After drawing the dash mark at 30mm I then drew a mark half way at 15mm

3.JPG
3.You then, draw the middle mark the same width of the eye (In this case 15mm) and round it down to each edge.

4.JPG
4.After cutting out the eye lid, I get a cocktail stick (Totally useless for liquid glue) and my super glue.

5.JPG
5.Place a line of super glue across the bottom edge. You then glue on your eye lid to your eye, as low, as high or where ever you want, for what effect you want to achieve. Getting about even fabric left either side of the eye. (As you can see a non perminant marker as I used a liquid super glue, you can see my center mark in the middle of the eye in blue )

6.JPG
6.Then turn over your eye and fold down your edges. (This took forever to dry with liquid super glue, as it just kept soaking into the fabric and it's super brittle)

7.JPG
7.Cut the sides across, but no further then your eye rim!

8.JPG
8.Cut straight down the sides and cut across some excess from the top if you have any.

9.JPG
9.Cut a "crown" or notches out of the top of the eye lid, so they fit next to each other when folded rather then over lapping. Also take EXTRA care to not cut all the way down or passed the eye rim.

10.JPG
10.Glue down each, "spike" making sure it's kinda taught and smooth.

11.JPG
11.A kind of sleepy,Finished eye!

Notes:
-Don't know if I can get this through enough, but use GEL super glue. It doesn't seep into your fabric and it takes a little longer to dry so you can move it around. (Thank Shelli for the Gel super glue advice,  I was going nuts before I found it)
-Use a permanent pen or better still, use a pencil!
-As you can see from my photo, the eyes aren't at all very smooth. The liquid super glue was so brittle and was so hard to work with, drying so fast, I couldn't get it smooth. Also you never get the colour line at the bottom of the eye lid , that is the seeping into the fabric.
-If you get any super glue on the eye itself or the edge of the fabric, gently scrap it off with the eye of a needle or if away from the fabric, use a q-tip (Cotton wool bud) soaked in nail varnish remover.

I will hopefully, get some better images when I finally buy some Gel super glue.

If you have any questions, Just ask:)

Take care,

Richy~

sanibear Florida

wow,
perfect thanks so much richy-that helps  a lot.
i will try that right away.
do u think i can get the fabric at a regular fabric store, like jo-anns fabric??
thanks bear_original

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Another option for eyelids that takes a little longer.  Is I usually needle felt mine on. I start with a felted base right on the bear before I insert the eye.  I make a indent for the eye placement so that it sits into the head.  Once you've felted the area it is harder to make the eye sit in if you haven't already made a bit of hole for it to sit in.  Then I insert the eyes as you normally would.  Then finally roughly sculpted the eye lid before adding it to the eye and continue shaping it afterwards.  You just need to be careful not to hit the eye with the needle.  You will either break the needle or scratch the eye, neither is a pleasant thing to have happen.

Board footer