Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi one and all,
Please can anyone help my nephew? He needs to build a website and I know there are some places on the net that you can build free websites. Please can you tell me of any you have used and if you would recommend them as being reliable, if so what is the address. I'd hate Andrew to make a website for it to not work well or go ofline as it's for part of his school work and he needs to get one made very soon.

Thanks Jane.   bear_flower

Ginie-Lee Hug A Bye Bears

Hi Jane,
I think that webs.com may be ok for him ,it's free and very easy to use.  Hope this helps,
I just set up my website through them. I remember when I first joined this forum you were kind enough to give me encouragement to have a go at setting up my own website so a big thanks to you Jane bear_original  bear_original  bear_original
Hugs Ginie-Lee x

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You can have:

1)  Good.

2)  Fast.

3)  Cheap.

You may pick any two out of three.

:lol:

A simple way to say it is, "You get what you pay for."  ;)

Yes, there are free website hosts out there but they are going to plaster your pages with ads.  Also, because it's free, you aren't guaranteed 100% uptime, nor do they offer help or service in case you have trouble.  Finally, you aren't going to have your own domain name.  You'll end up with something like, "www.freewebhost.com/users/yourusername/index.html"  Not easy for people to type and remember.

If you go to www.godaddy.com or www.fatcow.com you can pay about $5.00 per month.  Because you are paid, you get help and you can have your own domain name.  They offer a whole lot more features than the free web hosts.

Another thing to think about...

You might already have web hosting included in the price that you pay your ISP for internet access every month.
Many ISPs give you free space to make your own website.  Usually, it's on the same terms of many of the other free web hosts...  mimimal service, few features, no domain name, etc... but you won't have to jump through hoops to get your account set up.  It already is set up.

Go to to the log in screen at your ISP's website and see if they don't have it for you.  It's usually listed in the FAQ.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Jane,   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I second Ginie-Lee's suggestion, webs.com (was freewebs) it's really easy and free!!  Looks good too, there's lots of choice, I know a lot of us use it here.  Hope that helps.   bear_original

Hope to see you soon,

xxxxxxx :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks for the info so far.

Us Bears, this is just for a school project, so it doesn't matter about adds. My nephew just wants to build a quick, but good looking free website, so he can pass his assignment.

See you at Stratford Clare...I presume you are going.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

I used to use www.freewebs.com too. It is easy to use.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use Yola     http://www.yola.com/ppc.php?gclid=CJam4 … agodWhx3WA   It is free, no adds, super easy, no trouble.  I did pay for my domain name through godaddy

Joanne

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I use webs.com also......however I decided to pay a little each month to clear away the ads.

An advert for bear hunting or [INVALID] sites was inappropriate and also I got my own domain name..

As what has already been stated...you get what you pay for..

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Hi Jane....I also use freewebs....you can choose to just use webs.com in your name.
They have also been helpful with a quick reply when I asked for advice too....they have lots of layouts you can choose from so I'm sure your nephew will find a suitable one for his needs.  bear_thumb  bear_flower

Lynn Wisconsin

Hi Jane,

Here is a free google web site design that I have been playing with.

http://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/overview.html

Lynn

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I see what you're saying.  You don't want to spend a lot of money on a school project.

Still, don't forget your internet service provider.
Many ISPs offer free personal webspace.  (Well, it's not actually free because you have to pay for internet service to get it but it is free as in "no extra charge besides what you already pay.")

See this page:
http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Hi … atures.htm
(Left side, near the bottom.)

Check your ISP to see what they offer.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  bear_original

Board footer