Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

bear1web7.jpgbear1web4.jpgWell, I bought several bear books and studied the dimensions of the patterns... drew my own pattern up and sewed it together... there was a little trial and error in the beginning... (I made the ears bigger... and I think I need to add more neck... and I *really* want to give the bear a wire armature) but overall... for the first  bear from the first pattern I ever drew... I'm kind of stupidly pleased :P

I know there's a long way to go... but dangit I think this little gal is cute. Her name is Toffee:

(please ignore her ugly, half arsed dress)

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

She's very sweet!  And I think her dress is adorable!  bear_wub  Way to go on making your first bear from your own pattern!   :clap:

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

She's made from an old coat I bought at a garage sale...

and I realized, in the picture her nose looks kinda crooked... but the fur just turns up a little funny on the one side and creates a shadow.

I needle felted her nose and really loved it... so I'll have to try doing more of that!
I really wanted to try little claws and paw pads too... but she just didn't seem like that kind of bear.

I LOOOOVE your bears though... you guys on here are my inspiration... your work is SO amazing!!!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

She's a real cutie!  bear_wub    You must be really proud of yourself  :clap:

They make it look so easy in those books to design your own pattern, but knowing from experience it isn't!  bear_whistle  I ended up making two bears for my first go - I made too tiny a head for the body so I made a tiny body and a bigger head, hence two bears! bear_grin   

Look forward your second creation

Hugs Ali

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Sweet little bear.  Great job for your first pattern. :clap:   I have been designing for years and yesterday was one of those days when what I designed didn't turn out well.  To the bin and try again.    bear_rolleyes

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

This one is a bit of a mess... I'm having trouble with head joint... I need to do more reading... although I LOVE cotter pin jointing!
It's nice to hear that you guys, who make amazing stuff, still have troubles too sometimes!

I'm in awe of the patterns you guys must come up with... this one, obviously, is stupidly simple... the open mouth bears, the pandas, the bears with eyes that open and close... most all of your guys bears... I am just in complete awe.

I have to admit though, her oversized head was on purpose XD (I love big heads on bears) ... but the poor thing barely has a neck... and I had messed up measurement on the foot pads and had to rework those a bit...

I am stupidly happy with the fact that it *looks* bear like, lol... but then I browse the gallery here and am quickly reminded of how far I have to go!

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

I think that she's a really sweet bear. You did a great job with your very first pattern, give yourself a big pat on the back.  :clap:

Regards

Lisa

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Well done on your very first designed bear  :dance:

It's an awesome feeling, isn't it. I can remember my first, like it was yesterday, I was so chuffed as well but also like you very critical of myself. I still am very very critical of my own work, so you see we all are very hard on ourselves.

If you don't mind me saying, Toffee (great name) reminds me of The Cheeky bears by Merrythought bear_thumb

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

GREATjob on your first bear!

Warmly,
Cheryl

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

what a cutie! bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Thank you for the compliment!   :hug:   I think you might find that there will always be areas you want to improve on - I still see things I want to do differently all the time.  It keeps things interesting!   bear_thumb   And sometimes the things you are critical of in your own bear may be something that appeals to someone else.    bear_grin

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

bear_wub  I think she's lovely. as for necks, they are over-rated. Barely any of my bears have necks  bear_whistle

brightbears Bright Bears
Emmeloord

Not only is Toffee a nice bear from a funny design, but you also know how to make great images of a bear, which I consider a big plus. Good luck experimenting, I hope to see more of your ideas.

Little_Bearries Holt, MI

I actually had to go look up Cheeky Bears... I'd never seen them before! Yup... big ears and big head is a style I love XD I had a feeling bear artists might be prone to perfectionism... the end product proves it.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Yeah... my bears and necks don't quite get along yet... :)

and I *try* to take nice pictures... but... my next bear is white... on a white background... pics = not as great XD

Andrea Artemis bears
Devon

Great bear! his face reminds me a little of  koala

Andrea x

Board footer