Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

DSC05739_1.JPGWell, dear friends, I would appreciate some advice on this one.

I have always wished to have a try at making leather bears.

A friend gave me an old leather jacket (sample of the leather from the jacket on the photo), which colour matches well the mohairt head I want to combine with : right, this first bear will not be full leather bear as he will have mohair head and paws.

Anyway, while browsing someold post concerning real fur bears, lots were talking about better lining real fur before sewing.

After all, leather is just real fur without hairs, so should I line it? If yes, why is it better doing it?

Thanks,
Sophie.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi Sophie,

Critters made of recycled fur need to be lined because the leather in these pelts is thin, and sometimes sewn together from small pieces. In this case, the leather is likely to split under the pressure of sewing and stuffing.

Leather coats are usually made of tougher pelts, so it depends. If your leather is thin or tends to stretch, I'd definitely line it. If it's fairly thick and stable, you don't need to.

Whatever else you do, be sure to use leather (glover's) needles. They have chiseled points, and penetrate leather easily without tearing it!

Hope this helps! I can't wait to see your bear. :dance:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Thank you for your fast answer, Eileen!

The leather is a little over 1 mm thick but a little stretchy.

I already have the right needles for leather for handsewing as well as machine sewing.

The fact is I trend to stuff my bears very firmly. So I will probably be wise lining it. I was able to draw my bear pieces in parts of the coat with any seams, as this is a small bear and the first I design from this coat.

Now I have to check whether the lining material I have can work on leather as it is iron heat one... I'd better try it on a tiny piece of leather first!

Right, I just took a very small piece of leather and had a try with some of my Vlieseline (this heat on lining material) and it worked great! It just needs to heat it for about 10 seconds on wool setting of the iron.  bear_thumb

So I can use it for my bear!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

A chance I have enough of it left but I'd better add it on my "next to buy" list to get sure i have always some available.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Sophy,

The Vlieseline sounds like wonderful stuff--much easier than cutting out lining pieces separately bear_rolleyes

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Yes Sophie, line it with a good quality muslin. This prevents the seams from poping as you stuff for the muslin take the brunt of it. Also hand baste the muslin to the leather pieces. Do no use glue because it will degrade the leather over time and it could impact the longevity of your bear. Now you can machine sew or hand sew your leather bear as you wish.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Good luck with your leather bear.  I am looking forward to seeing it.  I use leather for paws and feet but have never tried to make a whole leather bear.

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I wouldn't recommend lining with Vlieseline. I have used it alot in making clothes and it does stretch under stuffing I've also used it to line my first bear and he is a blob haha. I would recommend a good muslin or thin calico lining.

Board footer