Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

sonblestbears Son Blest Bears
Geetingsville, Indiana
Website

Hi!  Does anyone know if there is a way to opt out of the five 'free' listings per month?  I tryed contacting ebay's live help but my session was 'conveniently' ended before my question could be answered.  Which has happened before when I've asked questions that ebay doesn't want to answer.  Please don't get me wrong, ebay has been a wonderful way to get my bears out there and I'm not on here to complain or whine about it, well maybe a little bit...lol.   It cost me double in fees with this so called 'free' listing and it seems I had read some where here on TT that there was a way to opt out.  Oooh I do hope there is because, wow, my fees were..well..a little higher than I expected  :doh:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Using a third party service to list your auctions.. that's how to do it.

I'm doing an easier way though.. list 5 patterns... or anything else that is cheap!  Then onto your bear listings!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I did the same as Laura Lynn - listed 5 pieces of fabric (that I didn't even expect to sell and sold 3 of them!) Now I'm fine for the next 3 weeks. Just have to remember to do that again when the month is up!
As long as whatever you list sells for less than $25 you won't be paying any more than you did before as before we paid 8.75% on the first 25.00 and then 3.5% on the balance. Or the other option is to list something REALLY EXPENSIVE with a high start price so that you really are saving on the listing fee if it doesn't sell and since they have put a cap on the final value fee for these "free" listings you will still be ahead if does sell! (or list something that you would like to sell but don't know if it will sell and you will find out without incurring any expenses and if it does sell and you might not mind paying the higher f v fee as you weren't sure if it would sell! - if that makes any sense  bear_wacko )
I 'm not really familiar with the third party listing services but I went and looked at Auctiva as I see a lot of people use it but it appears that there is a charge for using that service so didn't see how I'd be any farther ahead with that.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Edie,
     Auctiva has been free for years - they just started charging at the end of July, but I opted for $2.95/month and I'm allowed 15 listings a month for that, which I will never use up.  If I get to the point of not using ebay any more then I will drop it.  I like that it opts me out of Ebays "free listings" and helps keep me out of the "picture issue".  It's worth $3.00 a month to keep Ebay off of my back. lol!  It's also much easier to use than Ebay's listing page and I like that I can load my template directly onto the Auctiva page.  I don't like the way Ebay displays pictures on their auction page now.

hugs,

Brenda

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am confused, how would using Auctiva or another stop ebay from collecting their fees?  All of that is done at ebay.  All these sites do is post still to ebay.  AT the end of the month when money is due, ebay still has all the info.
Joanne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Joanne, Ebay still collects their fees, but Brenda doesn't pay extra for those extra photos, and she gets the normal listing and final value fees for all of her auctions. 

Right now, with first 5 listings free, you can often end up paying more in fees if they sell as the final value fee is usually much higher than with a regular paid listing.

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes I understand that.  I use sellersource book.  When I list through them I get an "estimated" listing cost before it goes to ebay.  But when ebay then gets it, are you sure they are not just doing their usual thing, and charging what they want.  I don't pay for the extra photos either, which is great.  I would recommend auctive or sellersourcebook to anyone who doesn't like the way ebay now posts pictures.

Brenda- have you checked your statement to make sure they are not sneaking in behind your back?  Can you tell I am not a trusting person when it comes to ebay, they tend to sneak in through the back door with some of this stuff.
Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm also a fan of Auctiva and am willing to pay the $3.00 a month.

If you look at eBay's information about the new "5-free" policy, they state that it does not apply to third-party listings. You'll pay the "normal" (i.e. post-five) final value fees instead.

Becky

Bloomsburg, PA

Thanks Becky,  I like that very much
Joanne

Board footer