Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Bearwatch Just Bears & Stuff
Myrtle Creek, Oregon

gollie1.jpgI found a really fun article on the origins of Gollies. If you collect Gollies this article is a must-read.

http://www.bearwatchbears.com/2009/09/t … llies.html

Bear hugs
Pat

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

What interested me is the number of gollies (I hope that's the right term to use over "golly wog", I have never been too sure, so sorry in advance) which were present at Hugglets 2009 in London this year.

I don't like them and find them scary -- I just want the teddy bears.  :D

-- Thomas Adam

Myrtle Creek, Oregon

Hi Thomas, Thanks for your post. What I love about the teddy bear world is the variety and I completely understand that some appeal to some people while others don't.

Bear hugs
Pat

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Bearwatch wrote:

Hi Thomas, Thanks for your post. What I love about the teddy bear world is the variety and I completely understand that some appeal to some people while others don't.

Bear hugs
Pat

Oh sure -- it just surprised me, and my mother (who would have been alive when the Gollies were at the peak of their controversy) that they've now had some sort of "comeback" -- and it's that which interests me most more than anything.  I hope society has overlooked any racial connotations connected with these toys, but I am not naive enough to assume otherwise.

So something I have tried to find out but have failed to really do so is what has appealed to people to get Gollies noticed again.

-- Thomas Adam

Myrtle Creek, Oregon

That's a great question Thomas. One I will research and post the answer to.

Bear hugs
Pat.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

My Mum loves Gollies - but more because she had one she adored as a child - so for her, it is about Nostalgia rather than anything else. We have a collection of Golly badges from Robinson's products.

Myrtle Creek, Oregon

Thank you for sharing about your mom. I know that teddy bears of all sorts bring back great memories for so many.

Bear hugs
Pat

John Paul Port Posts: 214

Gollies have been on a "comeback" for  a long time----look up "Gollyfest" on Google and learn all about it. There was a Gollyfest convention Last weekend in San Francisco---I was their auctioneer.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thank you for the link.
I really enjoyed the read. bear_original

Board footer