Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

Grooming to be axact! I thought since I love animals so much, would like to think I am artistic bear_whistle and really would like to work with dogs (not sure about cats bear_laugh ) that this would be something I would enjoy and so far I have taken 5 exams and love it! Maybe even after this is done I would like to learn more about dog behaviour/training, also animal sciences (if money permits) I need a change :dance: and Dakota is my student lol. I will of course still make my animals in my spare time. Just thought I would share........

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

That sounds great!  I'm sure you are a natural at grooming - you do such a wonderful job at trimming/sculpting your creations!

Congrats!!!

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Congratulations Brenda,

I have been grooming cats for .... a long time bear_happy

I enjoy it although it takes a special handling to work with felines and I am at an advantage working in a veterinary clinic with my more, shall we say, explosive clients, I am able to use sedation.  This makes the process much less stressful for both of us.  It is especially necessary for longer procedures such as shave downs. 

I've brought some of those grooming techniques over to bear making...I use my small electric clippers on the bears and my small greyhound combs.  I'm sure you will find some transferance and reinforcement of your skills.  I also think it helps with anatomy. 

Good luck in your new vocation...and relax and enjoy it.  The dogs will know it.

Pat

Bearwatch Just Bears & Stuff
Myrtle Creek, Oregon

Grooming sounds like so much fun.

Bear Hugs
Pat

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

As you know Brenda I'm a retired groomer. I also have a degree in animal behavior/breed identification. I trained dogs professionally for years as well. It takes a lot of dedication but I have no doubt you can do it and you own one of the smartest breeds to work with.
Best of luck!!! bear_original

Thank you ladies! We only have 2 groomers in my town that has ALOT of dogs and the one groomer doesn't take any new clients anymore due to some health problems so she's limited but does a great job and the dogs love her! and the other groomer, well let's just say she should retire. I tried getting some matts out of my big boy cat Julius and he was so nasty!! bit my finger, luckily not through the skin. He hates being brushed. I find anyone willing to deal with a cat is brave! bear_grin

Murrieta, California

Cats can be a bit trying but you get a system going and before you know it they are easy too.
We used a little wire cage called a "Bump Cage" don't ask but it took a lot of the stress of being wetted down out for the cat.

puca bears puca bears

Sounds a lot of fun, and interesting, Brenda - good on you! Can I send Nounours over to visit?  she's one of those dogs who have a sensitive nerve ending in every hair (!) HATES to be brushed.................
huggies
Maria

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Good for you!!  I believe it's important to keep learning about whatever interests you may have.  And, if it saves you a little money in the end....it's a great thing!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

I might have to know about this "bump cage" bear_thumb ~~ Of course you can send over Nounours bear_grin

Murrieta, California

I'll have to PM you on that one Brenda.  bear_rolleyes

Board footer