Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Hi guys I had no Idea how long I have been gone.  I have been very very sick for the last few weeks with something the doctors could not explain.  My question is How do I make sure my bears don't pass this on to my hubby or son?  I would not wish what I had to deal with on my worst enemy.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You mean bears you've been making or cuddling while sick?
Like anything else you've touched, they need to be disinfected. With clothes, bedding, etc you can wash it. As for bears....
I'd lightly spray them with unscented lysol then put them in bags in the freezer for at least 48 hrs to kill the germs. Let them air out for a couple of days after to be sure there's no smell from even the unscented spray.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

What were you sick from?  OR, at least, what do they THINK you were sick from?

Most viruses can't live outside the body for more than a few minutes.  If they don't find a living host to grow on, they die very rapidly.
Bacteria can grow on inanimate objects and vector disease to a living host after quite a long time.
Mold, fungus and spores of mold/fungus can lie dormant on inanimate objects almost indefinitely.
Insects and their eggs can live indefinitely if there is food.

So it all depends on what you were sick from.
If it's a virus, don't worry.  Clean the Bears as well as is reasonable and be done.
If it's bacteria, a disinfectant spray will do the trick as long as it doesn't damage the fur.
If it's fungus or mold, disinfectant might do it but it will be harder.
If it is insects, disinfectant might help but cold is the answer.

I'm with Daphne.

First, wash and clean the Bears as much as is reasonable.
Second, use a disinfectant that won't hurt the Bears.
Next, wrap the Bears in plastic bags and put them in the freezer.  I mean the DEEP FREEZE.  Get them freezing cold.  Keep them cold for a LONG TIME.  Daphne said 48 hours but I say at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month.

Don't worry...  The cold won't hurt them.  Bears hibernate!  Remember?  bear_laugh

I'm still not sure whats wrong though the doctors say its viral.  I have ok days and really bad days.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Well, as far as the Bears are concerned, there is little to worry about, I'd say.
Just give them a good cleaning and put them up on their shelves and in their hutches.  They'll be fine.   bear_thumb

But it's YOU that we have to worry about now!
I hope this thing passes.  Hang in there and get better.

You have 1,000 Bears here who are pulling for you!  bear_original

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Did you get tested for Swine Flu?  Only because one of the symptoms is up and down days.
Hope you feel better soon  :hug:

Too many cases they won't test anymore.  What ever this is,its really kicking my butt because of a longstanding medical issue.

Board footer