Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pages:
DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub A report i heard said the flu season ends Holloween, so where is all the flu shot medicine?  Also, they say over 25 and under 65 or 55 is safe not to have the shot, or rather they are not giving it to that age group just yet.  Knock on wood, I am not getting any shot, I am also one of the ones that does not take medicine if not required.  I rarely take an aspirin.  Good genes in the family, and I hope they stay that way. I opt out  at this time.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well I found today that we can get vacinated starting next week in our area.  We will be going for ours the week after. As noted above this is the second death of a person within days of one another who both were healthy and young. I'd feel like an idiot if I became very ill and had a chance to take something to prevent it.  Just my thought, I talked with my family Dr and she said it was a good idea to get the shot.  She advised not to listen to all the propaganda found on the internet and news sites, the shot is a good thing and will save your life.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I'm surprised the doctors for that boy took it so lightly. They should of given him antiviral medication right away. He could have an underlying condition yet that they haven't found out. Seems to be hitting 25 years and younger the hardest. Interesting to note that they never mention all the deaths from the "normal" flu. How can we ignore all the hype??? Some people in the medical field themselves won't get the shot. I remember too in the later 80's when the Spanish flu hit everyone was paranoid but now we have the internet to make us even more crazy. If the swine flu is so devastating why are these doctors taking these sick cases so lightly? Hm... hard decision

John Paul Port Posts: 214

Being allergic to egg-based (or egg cultured) vaccines is a problem for my Mom----she had to have an interdermal   (Between the layers of the skin)   test for that egg allergy.   Bad reaction, and had to have an allergy shot just for the Test !!!  However Eating eggs does Not affect her !!!  Who can figure !!!                          bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  to everyone-----NO FLU ALLOWED !!!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

People who are allergic to eggs can often eat COOKED eggs without problem.  Cooking destroys the proteins that cause allergic reaction.  It's only when the raw, uncooked proteins get into the system that they cause trouble.

Sometimes they can give a small portion of the vaccine to a person then monitor the patient for a reaction.  If the person can go for, say, an hour without a reaction, they can give another small portion.  If STILL no reaction, they can give the rest of the dose.  Sometimes they give the vaccine in just two rounds instead of three.  Other times, like your mom, they can do a skin test first.

Personally, I have no problem with the vaccine.  I have no worry about its safety IF I was to take it.  I just don't believe in taking medications unless they are called for.

If there comes a time when I believe it's necessary, I'll be right at the front of the line getting my shot just like everybody else...  But not until...

Nurse Ratchet Forever Loved
Toronto

Hi ALL

I have been an RN for 37 years working in Public Health for 18 years, 10 of which were in the Vaccine Prevetable Disease Division. IMHO any health care worker who does not get immunization for H1N1 is irresponsible to those they care for. Ask your self why there is little polio or diphtheria in the news?? Could it be...vaccinations??

I get the infuenza vaccine every year and had my H1N1 vaccine about 5 hours ago. This is a very different influenza which has the potential to be devastating. The information I have read from reliable scientific resources is that the most severe cases requiring admission to ICU and ventilation to date have been young women. The coroner who examined the 12 year old athlete who passed yesterday here in Toronto said the virus attacked his heart like lightening. Does the public really believe the health care profession is trying to hurt them...I cannot tell you how many many hours have been spent planning for pandemic for years. In Toronto SARS almost leveled our economy not to mention our population. Thousands of people were on home isolation  and nurses and doctors died from SARS after caring for those infected.

Those who do not get vaccinated (unless you have an allergy to a component) lack a social conscience and are riding on the coat tails of the rest of the population who does get the vaccine. There is something called herd immunity which means if that enough people in a country or area have been immunized that a vaccine preventable disease cannot spread...the naysayers depend on the rest of us to get the vaccine to protect them. Shame on them!! Our society has become one of look out for number one not a community working together...so sad. I have never once pondered whether to immunize myself nor my now 31 year old son...who by the way is for the first time going to get immunized against influnza.

There is way too much fiction and myth on cyberspace. Canada has 15 million doses, some already in use and others on the way to the MD's. Toronto Public Health will have clinics all over town and in fact will not turn anyone away if you attend the clinics this week which are really for health care professionals. Our vaccine is made in Canada and remeber vaccines are not new! The mercury component has been blown way out of proportion ...you get more mercury in a salmon sandwich than a vaccine. The allergy to eggs really refers to an anaphylaxic allergy to eggs. I am allergic to eggs according to testing but eat them.

One year I did not get immunized and spent 6 days flat on my back with inflluenza. True influenza is an awful disease. This influenza is not an old people and young child flu. Do yourself and everyone else a big favour this season...get you and your children immunized  against H1N1 and seasonal flu. Protect yourself ..protect your friends and family.

Stay healthy and remember to wash your hands and sneeze into your sleeve,
Nurse Ratchet

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi DIane,
     Nice to see your post here with some information.  As well at the young boy in Toronto who died yesterday, a 10 year old girl from Cornwall died on the weekend, and she also had no underlying health problems.  I am worried about our five year old grandson because he is is school full time this year and plays hockey and you know how things get passed around at school and at activities. I don't want him to get the H1N1 flu, but my daughter has heard so much about the mercury content of the vaccine, she doesn't think it's safe.   I will send her your post to try and help her make a decision. 

Up until this year, we have not opted for a flu shot.  I was actually surprised to hear my husband say that he was going to get an H1N1 vaccine this year - stunned in fact - he has a problem with shots in fact has fainted on occasion.  However, I was thrilled to hear it as he is incredibly susceptible to bronchitis and pneumonia and has asthma.  He also works as a manager of a Superstore in the Toronto area and is exposed to thousands of people, every day.  I was on the fence about the vaccine, but am now thinking I might line up with hubby.

hugs,

Brenda

Nurse Ratchet Forever Loved
Toronto

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

I should have said "tuna" sandwich not "salmon". My apologies to the salmon family.

Hugs from Toronto
Nurse Ratchet   :redface:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Tammy wrote:

Well, considering swine flu was just confirmed at my daughter's junior high school and 30% (157) of the kids  were out  sick last week ( including her) I think it is too late for  my family.  We've definately been exposed !  That being said, it seems to be about the same as regular flu without the vomiting , but add a bad headache and persistant  dry cough.   I know it can affect everyone differently though.

Ugh, I feel your pain.  They were supposed to have a Swine Flu Vaccine clinic at the Elementary school today but I think a third of our kids are out with it too.  It was canceled because they didn't have enough but by the time they scrape up "enough", I think they will have all had it!

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

one would think they would be closing schools and other public meeting places, tournaments, etc.... to help stop the spread. Also, when all these people line up for their shot there probably being exposed at that very moment so by the time you walk out of there you will be infected before the 10 days that the vaccine has a chance to work???? So who knows how many of us are already carrying it in our system right now and the shot won't work anyway?
I have so many questions I should go to the germ infested clinic and go talk to a doctor bear_grin

John Paul Port Posts: 214

TO BE OR NOT TO BE ???------THAT IS THE QUESTION  !!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I will be encouraging my daughter to have the vaccination because she's diabetic with a veritable host of auto immune issues ... but I doubt I'll putting myself forward for it.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

There are results coming out on hospitalizations due to H1N1.  The #1 group is asthmatics, then diabetics and those with compromised immune systems.  Like I said in my previous post, please allow people with serious medical conditions have the first chance to get immunized.  If you are a healthy adult, wait a bit until those who need the shot immunization have a chance to get it.  Or, if they have the "live" nasal spray vaccine, go ahead.  Anyone with serious medical conditions must have the shot.  Wash 'yer hands, stay home if you're sick, eat healthy and get plenty of sleep!   - Alison

In our area of Ontario, because of the unexpected death of the 12 year old boy and a 10 year old girl with NO underlying health problems, they  are now opening up the vaccine for anyone, not just the "at risk".  The virus attacked the boys heart and he died within a day and a half.  They haven't released much information on the young girl.  Parents are definitely changing their minds about the vaccine, pretty quick.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Some information about the mercury for those of you worried about it

There is a difference between ethylmercury(organic) found in the vaccine and methylmercury(inorganic) found in fish which is associated with neurological damage.

Having also worked in Public health for 35 years I agree with everything Nurse Ratchet said
If you have grandchildren and have close contact with them you need to get the vaccine in order to protect the children as well as yourself
When I was a student nurse the Asian flu hit in 1957 or 1958 and I have never been so sick in all my life so will be getting this vaccine in hopes of protecting myself from this one
Hugs
Gail

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If you are allergic to thimerosal, the preservative used in vaccines, or you don't want it "just because" it is possible to get the vaccine without it but it is more expensive.

Most vaccines come in multi-dose vials.  Those vials contain the preservative.
Vaccines are also distributed in single-dose, pre-filled syringes.  Pre-filled syringes do not contain the preservative.  However, because it is more expensive to package the vaccine in syringes and because, without the preservative, they are more perishable you will probably have to either pay more for the vaccine or you will have to wait for it to become available in that form.

There is another alternative if it is available in your area.  Swine Flu vaccine is also being distributed as a nasal mist.  This vaccine does not have thimerosal either.
They shoot some stuff up your nose and you are vaccinated.  However, you must be between the ages of 2 and 49 years old plus you have to be in perfect health.  If you have any chronic condition or are sick with something else you have to take the injected vaccine.

So, if thimerosal gives you the heebie jeebies or if you can't take it for some reason, ask for the single-dose syringe or the nasal mist.  This goes for ANY vaccine, not just the current Swine Flu.

teeeej Brisbane

Just a quick chemistry lesson: both ethylmercury and methylmercury are organic forms of mercury.

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

eh..idk but my middle school will have enough vaccinations for evryone by the end of this month, and it looks as if i will be taking it..

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Beary Fun,
That's great.  They are encouraging all children to be immunized.  I believe that most of the vaccine is going to schools all over the country to help keep our kids healthy.  Your mom or dad will probably have to fill out some paperwork so you can get the shot.  I know my kids will be able to get vaccinated at their school too and I already have them signed up.  Just remember to wash your hands and if you switch classrooms, you might want to bring some antibacterial wipes to school and wipe down the desk and chair before you sit down.  My kids change classrooms every hour so they clean the desk and chair each time.  My daughter poo-poo'd the idea until she got really sick and ended up with pneumonia.  Then, she got strep throat and finally has started wiping the desks down.  Now, both of my kids have friends that are borrowing their wipes and doing the same.  I guess I'm going to have to buy stock in Lysol Wipes! 

Stay healthy!
~ Alison

Hi Alison,
    Great that your kids understand how important it is to try and keep the germs down and it's interesting that other kids are now following them bear_original  God bless lysol wipes - our adult son came home from Uni for Thanksgiving and arrived with a cold, whiich neither hubby or I wanted.  I wiped door handles, cupboard handles, shower handles, phones and any other thing I saw him touch.  Noone else picked it up.  I really think that even when the H1N1 flu has run it's course, more people will have gotten into the habit of washing their hands a LOT more often.

hugs,

Brenda

Us Bears Pennsylvania

bearyfun732;

We used to have vaccinations when I was in school, too.  That was 30 years ago.  Little has changed, really.

The reason they do it is because there are so many kids all in one place.  If one kid gets sick, MANY kids can get sick in a short time.  Your school officials don't want the disease to spread.

Talk to your parents about the vaccination.  One time, my parents even had me fill out the form while they helped to make sure I did it right.  Then they signed it.  I turned it in and, the next day, all the kids whose parents gave permission went to the cafeteria, lined up and got vaccinated.

Once you are vaccinated, you might get a little bit ill in the next day or so.  That is a good thing.  That means the vaccination is working.  You should not feel ill for more than a day or two.  Many people who get vaccinated don't even feel ill at all.  Everybody is different.  After that, it takes approximately two weeks for the vaccine to have full effect.  Some people may be protected sooner.  Some people may take longer.  Again, everybody is different.

When the vaccine has taken full effect, you are protected from getting the flu!  But don't be fooled!  You can still catch OTHER diseases that the Swine Flu vaccine DOES NOT protect against.  You can still catch strep throat and things like that.  You can still catch a regular cold.  If there is a kind of flu that you didn't get a vaccine for, you can still catch the flu...  You just won't catch the Swine Flu.

This means you have to be cautious about sneezing, sniffling, blowing your nose or touching things that somebody else who has a disease has touched.  If somebody else sneezes on you, you could catch whatever they had.
This means that everybody in school (and out of school) should always cover when they cough or sneeze.  They should wash their hands a lot too.  Wash before eating.  Wash after you sneeze or cough a lot.  Always make sure you wash when you leave the bathroom whether you used the toilet or not.

If everybody did these things we wouldn't have to worry about the Swine Flu so much.  There would still be Swine Flu but it wouldn't spread so fast.

You just hang in, get your vaccination and you'll be okay!   bear_thumb

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

I have read every post here and I have a question for those in the United States.

My daughter and I both can not receive the flu shot nor has my daughter been able to get any childhood vaccinations for that matter but I did receive a letter from my doctors office as I do every year notifying me that the doctor will be providing vaccinations for patients with serious medical conditions first and to call to make arrangements to receive our shots.
For those here with serious medical conditions hasn't your family doctor provided you with the opportunity to be vaccinated first?

Pages:

Board footer