Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

RainbowBits Posts: 43

Will a wider gusset make for a rounder head?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Well... Until the real design experts weigh in on this, my own experiments with wider gussets have given me more triangular heads.

For more roundness, what if the gusset got fairly wide right at the forehead, but then narrowed down again pretty abruptly toward the back? (A total guess, I'm going to admit, so I hope others will let us know.  bear_original )

Becky

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

If you put a dart in the top of each side of the head you will get a rounder head. Sorry I don't have a picture of this. Maybe someone else will?
Beth

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I also use darts.  Across the top, after sewing at the widest part of the gusset where it looks triangular I dart.  Also sometimes at the neck up to the cheek area.  I have found that if the gusset gets to narrow at the neck it will make the back of the head flat not round.  Darts work better.

Joanne

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

If you use a two piece centre seam gusset, instead of having two straight centre seams, you can widen/shape each side slightly at the top of the head.  It's difficult to explain, but will add a rounded dome to the top of the head.  The centre seams from the end of the nose to the top of the head should be straight and the centre seams of the rear part of the head should also be straight.  The widening is very subtle and should not be overdone.  I used this method with my avatar bear.

Regards

Sue

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I agree with the darts.  That is what I use for my bears.  The bigger the dart the rounder the head.  Just becareful not to make it too bigh or your head will look like a football.  You need to find a balance between how wide and deep you can make the dart with out having the side poke out.  I usually just draw the pattern out on paper, cut it out and tape it together to see how it looks.  If the paper doesn't poke out into a football shape it is a very safe bet that the material won't either, since it is a lot more forgiving than the paper.

Thank you all so much :)
So i only dart the gusset? on each side of the gusset, on the wider sides?
This is my latest girl, this is the first time i didnt use a pattern and did my own, her body came out a bit smaller than i intended, but a dress hides it  bear_grin
This is before i knew about the darts, so she came out a bit triangle..it suits her, but i would like to have rounder heads in the mix also :)

0213-3.jpg
027-5.jpg
0143-3.jpg
0182-1.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

This bear is soooo charming! (Just exactly the way she is  bear_original )

When I've done heads with darts, the darts have always been at the tops of the side pieces -- not on the gusset. I'm intrigued by Sue's idea for the little bulge in the center-seam gusset. Are there others out there that use darts in the gusset itself? (Or Joanne -- do your darts cross the seams so that they're part of the side pieces AND the gusset?)

Thanks to all for the info!

Becky

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes Becky that is it.

Joanne

RainbowBits, your bear is lovely.

Thank you both :)
I am going to try the dart technique

BequestBears Butterfly Bequest
Website

She's your first pattern?!  What a great job!!!
I've been stuggling with making rounder heads too.  It's hard to get them just right.

baildon bears Baildon bears
west yorkshire
suejennings wrote:

If you use a two piece centre seam gusset, instead of having two straight centre seams, you can widen/shape each side slightly at the top of the head.  It's difficult to explain, but will add a rounded dome to the top of the head.  The centre seams from the end of the nose to the top of the head should be straight and the centre seams of the rear part of the head should also be straight.  The widening is very subtle and should not be overdone.  I used this method with my avatar bear.

Regards

Sue

Im confused, what is a two piece centre seam gusset?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Baildon bears wrote:

Cut a gusset down the middle length-wise. Add seam allowances to the cut edges, and you have a two-piece center-seam gusset.

They give a bear a different look, especially with the right fur, and in the case of antique bears, they were a way to save fabric on every twelfth bear since the workers very carefully cut as many pieces as possible from a bolt (or something like that -- so the story goes). I imagine the library here has good information on center-seam bears.

Becky

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

I like the center seam method...but I split the gusset just before the ears down the back of the head to the neck line, and have a three piece gusset.  In addition I added darts in each of the side head pieces instead of the gussett.  I'm working with a large head...12" across and this produced just the roundness I was looking for and I wanted that 'part' down the center of the top and back of the head, without the seam line running down the face. 

This pattern can be varied so easily to adjust the head shape and character of the bear that I am very pleased and have already created four very different looking characters using the simple mechanism. bear_rolleyes

Pat

I tried the dart today, and it worked, i got a rounder head now  bear_thumb
thanks so much  bear_grin

west yorkshire
dangerbears wrote:
Baildon bears wrote:

Cut a gusset down the middle length-wise. Add seam allowances to the cut edges, and you have a two-piece center-seam gusset.

They give a bear a different look, especially with the right fur, and in the case of antique bears, they were a way to save fabric on every twelfth bear since the workers very carefully cut as many pieces as possible from a bolt (or something like that -- so the story goes). I imagine the library here has good information on center-seam bears.

Becky

Thanks, I understand now but I am really intrigued by the darts in the head, do you think it would work with a 4 inch bear? Trying to read these messages and picture a head gusset is making my head hurt. I think I might have to get out some cheap fabric and experiment I need visuals. Hannah

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Hannah wrote:

Trying to read these messages and picture a head gusset is making my head hurt. I think I might have to get out some cheap fabric and experiment I need visuals.

bear_grin Definitely a good idea!

I've never made anything as small as a 4" bear, but I'm ready to try Joannes's idea on my next bear. It makes sense to me to try sewing the darts AFTER sewing the head together. (So while it's still inside out, I'll pin together a couple of darts at those triangular peaks, and sew across the gusset seam.)

If I remember to take a photo, I'll post it, and please do the same with your experiment, Hannah.  bear_original

Becky

west yorkshire

Thanks Becky, I think I understand but I will just have to do it and see. might be hard to take pictures of my mini bear heads but I will have a go. This forum is really making me think much more about the design of each of my bears. Hannah bear_thumb

karenaus Melbourne
Website
baildon bears wrote:

Thanks, I understand now but I am really intrigued by the darts in the head, do you think it would work with a 4 inch bear? Trying to read these messages and picture a head gusset is making my head hurt. I think I might have to get out some cheap fabric and experiment I need visuals. Hannah

Hi Hannah, I can't speak for the centre seam in tiny bears, but I can definitely say darts in the gusset (and head side) most definitely work in 4" bears and even smaller:) I use darts in the gusset a lot.

west yorkshire
karenaus wrote:
baildon bears wrote:

Hi Hannah, I can't speak for the centre seam in tiny bears, but I can definitely say darts in the gusset (and head side) most definitely work in 4" bears and even smaller:) I use darts in the gusset a lot.

Thankyou, I have tried it and i was really pleased with the result, its amazing how little ajustments here and there can give you a completly different look. Hannahsledge.jpg

Bloomsburg, PA

Very nice round head shape.  Glad to see you worked it out
Joanne

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

For mini bears I use a two piece head and depending on how round I want it make the dart deeper and wider on the top of the head.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Can I just thank you for posting this, it completely solved an issue where somehow my gusset had come up about 1/3" short somehow, so darts it is to solve that problem on my mini  bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I want to thank you all too for your explainations : it might be very helpful for me to design my new bear pattern.
I want to make rounder heads too, as so far all my bears have a triangular shaped head.
I have never explored darts, so times comes to do it.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Board footer