Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

NancyL123 Nancy's Menagerie
New York

Maybe someone can help me, because I came up with an idea, but don't know how to market it. I want to offer services to bear artists that sell patterns where I make professional looking pattern pieces with smooth curves and even lines and seam allowances. I can also produce PDF files for e-patterns. In having purchased some patterns, I've noticed that many of them are hand drawn, and some are not that accurate.

I've worked in the graphics field for many years and am familiar with vector drawing, etc. Though new in the bearmaking world, I'm definitely an old hat with computer graphics.

My problem is I have no clue where to start with something like this, as far as advertising. I can't do bearpile, cause I'm not actually selling a bear or a pattern, just a service.

Any ideas?

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

Hi Nancy!

I was just complaining to someone that I hate my blog and I wish I knew someone to do the graphics and so forth.  So I laughed when I read your post. :hug:   I know a lot of the artists on here are also computer whizzes but not so with me.  I work on one during the day so I really have very little interest in learning the fancy stuff.  Also I don't enjoy that type of thing. 

So I was thinking there are probably other bear artists that feel the same way as I do.  Maybe you could put up a banner here as long as it is bear business related?  I know I'd be interested! bear_grin   Also, try the small ads in the bear magazines maybe?

sandra p skye rose bears
kent
Website

hi nancy,
there were some good suggestions there,have you thought about setting up a bear related blog?you could sell from there,i'd be happy to put a link on my website and blog to yours,i would have thought you could advertise virtually anywhere bear artist related,but you could always ask,i hand draw all my patterns but if i ever decided to sell patterns this is something i'd be interested in
hugs sandra

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Etsy has a category under "Everything Else" called "Graphic Design." (I've used one Etsy seller to design my hang tags, and another is going to help me with an electronic banner.) 

Becky

New York

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Becky, I didn't realize that Etsy offered that category, that sounds like a good idea bear_original

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Nancy I know this is way off what you were asking and I'm sorry I can't be of any help. But can you tell me about your kittens in your Avatar? They are gorgeous!! I use to show/raise Abby's in the 80's and I miss them. :(
P.S. Maybe eBay for your patterns. It's a good place to start a following. bear_original

New York

They're Bengals, Cyndee. Two spotted, and one marble. The first cat we had was an Abby, and a Somali after that. Right now, the house is owned by Bengals, a Tokinese, Maine Coon, and Harley, our "garbage dump" cat. We found him as a tiny kitten in the garbage in the parking lot at work. We also have a dog, but unfortunately, just today, she was diagnosed with bone cancer.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, I'm so sorry about your dog's illness, Nancy.  :hug:

(Perhaps some photos of the whole menagerie need to be posted? I know that many of us would love to see your furry babies.)

Becky

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Hi Nancy

I think this is a great idea.  I'm a graphic designer myself.  Just a little tip that I've run into with my own patterns to consider when you are desiding on prices.  You are going to have revisions.  Some are going to be adjustments that you need to make from your idea from the hand drawn patterns and others are going to be the fact that the artist is going to make changes because they are now more accurate and the artist is used to working with almost a different pattern.  Make sure you take this into account when you set your prices.  I think it is a fantastic idea and you should try to follow through with it. 

Good luck.  Hey by the way do you do websites?  That is one thing that I don't do.  I tend to fall into the typical design stuff and illustrations.  Website just frustrate me.

Hugs
Amber

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Thank you Nancy for sharing your pets and I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  bear_cry
I have had a type of bone cancer since I was 6, over 30 surgery to the leg, and I'm still here and with a leg. Not all of it but still a leg so I hope and pray the best for your baby. bear_original

Board footer