Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Hi Everyone

So as a beginner, I'm going to ask a very basic question...

I've sewn a few bears and am finally starting to get the hang of feet pads, pattern placement/alignment, eyes, noses etc but my one peeve at the moment is getting the curve on hand paw pads.

When I sew them there always seems to be a sort of 'flat' part to the sewing, if that make sense? I've tried making the stitches smaller and it helped a little but I still don't have that perfect round look that other people seem to acheive.
It seems round when stitched but then I turn it out and the flat bit appears.
How do I stop this? Has anyone got any tips they can share with me.
I am hand sewing at the moment could this be affecting it?

Thanks.
Richard
x

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Perhaps trim the seam allowance on the non-mohair part of your pawpad? I wouldn't trim the seam allowance on the mohair bit for fear of fraying.

Sometimes it's the stuffing too, not the sewing...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Rich, can you take a picture of the "flat"part you are speaking of.  It would hep beter I think if it can be seen, at least for me.
Joanne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Pinking shears are great to use around the edge of the ultrasuede or wool or whatever you are using for the pad. If you use regualr scissors to trim the pad make snips into the edges stopping 1/8 in. from seam. Make snips every 1/4 inch around the curve. With the mohair/fur material, be sure you don't have more than a 1/4 in. of material from seam to raw edge (1/8 in. if making mini bears). I'm sorry... you'll have to convert my inches to cm.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Have you tried marking the "sewing line" around the curved edges (on the wrong side of the fabric)?

In other words, if your seam allowance is 1/4", mark a dotted line 1/4" from the edge all along the curve. That might give you a good guideline for your stitches.

Becky

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Daphne is right...snips into the seam allowance will make the flat spot go away!

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Thanks everyone. Will try the snipping technique tonight and let you know how I get on.
If I can I'll get some before and after pictures.  bear_original

Richard
x

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Pinking shears!  You're a genius Daphne - I never thought of that...  :clap:

Board footer