Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi all,

I have a very specific project which I am planning. I want to make a Tabby Cat, but because of the very specific colouring of said tabby, I've decided the best way to shade would be pens. I have a COPIC airbrush but do not have the skill leve to achieve the look that I want.

Because it involves a bright colour and some dull colours, I decided the best way to make the bright parts 'pop' out, would be to use a white synthetic (I have bought some gorgeaus schulte (i think) from Pro Bear) and build the base from that.

The descion means that I will probably have to colour 95%-98% of the piece by hand. I am worried that using so much marker it will transfer onto hands, which obviously, I don't want. I know with Mohair, the best way to deal with that would be to heat set with a hirdryer - but I am worried that it will melt the fur - the last thing I would want is to spend hours and hours carefully colouring my hat to have it all go hideously wrong right at the end.

Should I worry about the COPIC coming off? or will it be ok?? As usual I want to push myself - just hope i'm not biting off more than I can chew; but the birght colour needs to be interspersed through the whole piece. (ignoring the design challenge of doing a cat! If it might come off - is there anyway I can set the colours?

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

i use copic pens but iv never  used it on entire bear, i heat set with a little blast from a hair dryer and nothing has ever melted and i usualy use synthetics.
do a test piece on a small piece of the fabric you want to use, iv got a feeling you will be fine but its better to be safe than sorry!

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thanks Kim. I just get a bit nervous as I did manage to do that once to a synthetic bear  bear_innocent  his muzzle started to melt - woops. It was cheap synthetic mind, not the nice quality.

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

iv got different settings on my hair dryer, its quite posh, dont very often use it on my hair and it was given to me! but i use the lower setting, or i pop a tea towel on the radiator and pop the bear on it if the heating is on!

Board footer