Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

Howard400.jpgI just wanted everyone to see that I DO use mohair. . . . .sometimes! :)
I'm allergic to fur, so I really have to psych myself up to work with it. I know I'll be sneezing and have itchy, watering eyes for several days. And that's if I'm really careful! I cut it outside and vacuum everything when I'm done and then go hop in the shower. I only work with it once every month or 2.

I got this mohair right here at Intercal. Beautiful stuff!! I love the spotted tips. Got some in just about every color they have. I can't wait to make more bears from it, but I'm just not in the mood to 'suffer' through another one right now.

Does anyone know where I can get one of those orange HAZMAT suits? Then I could work with mohair all the time!  bear_grin

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I found out a while back that I'm sensitive to alpaca :(. It made my skin all blotchy and itchy, but luckily it wasn't bad enough to stop me finishing the bear I was making. Some mohair and other fabrics make me sneeze but it's not too bad.

Howard is delightful - he looks like an intelligent bear with plenty on his mind!!! And the fur is wonderful too  :thumbsup:.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Howard is adorable, Stephanie . . . wish you weren't allergic to mohair.  bear_sad  bear_sad  I love that spotted fur from Intercal, too - makes an interesting bear!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

This little baby bear is simply adorable!!! Love this cutie pie!

Many Hugs Louise

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

He is completely Adroable - what a pity about the allergy - I spend most of my evenings covered in fur - thank goodness it is carbohydrates I get itchies from - I cna live without chocolate not without mohair :lol:
:hug:
Anne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Stephanie- i am sorry that you are allergic to fur-  with me its live rabbits, real anaphalactic shock time-I actually have to carry an epi pen, just in case given where we live....but I love watching outs through the window.

Now, on the other hand I am a we bit glad too, because it probably helped you become the expert mini fabric procurer extrodenaire- and hence we all get to go to Sassy's, a store right up there in my book with The Big I. 

Sort of a left handed blessing for everyone because of your mohair problem.  I just don't want you to suffer.  be a good girl...

and by the way , Little Mr. Howard is just adorable!

Does your allergy cause you to have a skin reaction or lung reaction?  Yikes! Be careful, we don't want you to suffer!  :cry:

:hug: for doing such a really great job

bear_tongue

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Stephanie, he is great one!! Such a cuttie! bear_grin bear_thumb bear_wub :hug:

Julia :hug:

Aurora, Colorado

That is exactly right. I work with mostly synthetics and that's where I concentrate my efforts for new fabrics.
Mohair and alpaca does make my skin itch, but not break out in a rash. Mostly lung problems, caughing and sinus headache, runny nose & sneezing. General cold symptoms. At least I know they will go away in a few days after I stop messing with it.
I'm hoping if I keep using it on a regular basis, I might build up a tolerance to it. My doctor said the best thing for fur allergies is to go get myself a cat. It's better and cheaper than allergy shots.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

lovely bears Stephenie I love the fabric you use

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Okay, maybe I'm just crazy, but Stephani, I really like that also.
I've just been looking here on Interacal for that mini fabric, but can't find it. Could someone send me a link??

Thanks

Heather

Aurora, Colorado

Board footer