Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website
KJ Lyons wrote:

Cat,
Will he be manufactured? IT would be a whole different agreement of sale if they are going to manufacture Edward. You would not have a copyright but it would be nice if you are given credit for your work. Also the pay scale is different.
Karen
P.S. Your design method is perfect for manufacture. Have you designed for companies?

hi karen, firstly, as one of my creating-heros, please let me thank you for considering my work and my blog.
ths Edward isnt for production design, but im interested by your comment and wonder how my design is perfect for  that sort of thing?

this bunny will proudly star in a school play ... so he isn't heavy china, but lightweight fleece and a lovely dense faux fur ...

making his coat now ... exciting !

thnaks again everyone for your kind comment
btw, i leaned how to do those toes form all your kid folks here at TT who share hints and methods
and i spent some time in a wired bunny ears thread too :-)

love
cat xxx happy xxx

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Cat,
First make sure you have an attached tag on Edward just in case he is noticed by someone. Your Edward is perfect for manufacture because you do not use pull stitches as in soft sculpture (this technique is hard to translate) and you do not use complicated coloring. Also, it's just a very precise and accurate pattern for the character. That's not easy! I used to do design work for Henson, Eden, Matchbox soft toys, and several other companies. A clean, accurate pattern design style was what they were always looking for in a designer.
Karen
P.S. Thanks for the compliment. I think it's more I'm a loooong time designer  bear_whistle

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Oh my Goodness! I never heard about him until today - the reviews of this 4 yo book are Wonderful!!
http://www.katedicamillo.com/books/edward.html
I must get a copy for myself, too.
Here are a few if you're not convinced - the covers alone should do it tho.....
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - 2006

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-re … ard-tulane

http://www.amazon.ca/Miraculous-Journey … 0307245934
(Look at the sweet pic on the cover!)
Book SummaryReviewed byMatt Berman

Edward Tulane is a three-foot tall toy rabbit, beautifully made, with a wardrobe of exquisite clothes. Like any toy, he cannot move or talk, but he can think. And despite being loved by a little girl, Abilene, he doesn't love anyone but himself.
Abilene's mysterious grandmother tells them a story of a princess who cannot love, and she whispers to Edward, "You disappoint me." Soon after, while on a cruise ship, Edward is thrown overboard by some mean boys, thus beginning an odyssey that carries him through many years to different owners, through humiliation and damage and pain, but enables him gradually to open his heart to others.

This lovely, lyrical, almost Dickensian tale is certainly a classic in the making. How is it that, at a time when so many authors don't seem to be able to get their readers emotionally involved with their human characters, Kate DiCamillo can have her readers breathless and weeping over a toy rabbit that can neither move nor talk? This is the author's secret, and the key to why this book should last long after others have faded away.
Yes, it is at times mawkish and overwrought: The stunning cruelty of the world to a little boy named Bryce, for instance, left unresolved by the author, borders on being too much. But by that time, even jaded readers won't mind -- they'll be too swept up in the rich and powerful story, enhanced by the gorgeous drawings and paintings by Ibatoulline. The whole volume, in fact, is a treat, printed in perfectly sized type with plenty of white space on creamy paper -- a beautiful edition well worth the slightly higher hardcover price. Don't miss sharing this near-perfect bedtime book with your middle-graders, and don't be surprised if you find your older kids listening in at the doorway.

From School Library Journal
Grade 3-6–Edward Tulane, a china rabbit, is the main character in this thoughtful tale by Kate DiCamillo (Candlewick, 2006). Edward is dearly loved by a young girl named Abilene. One day he is lost over the side of a boat. His journey leads him to a older couple who dress him like a girl rabbit, a hobo and his dog, a young girl and her brother and, finally, to a doll shop. Along the way, Edward learns to love the people he encounters. He also learns that family members can be cruel to one another; that hobos have family that they love dearly and don't want to forget; that no matter how much you love someone, she may still die; and that no matter what happens in life, never give up on love. Tony Award-winner Judith Ivey infuses each character that Edward encounters with a unique accent and aura, and accurately portrays their emotions. A beautifully crafted telling.–Veronica Schwartz, Des Plaines Public Library, IL
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From AudioFile
Newbery Award winner Kate DiCamillo constructs an old-fashioned story about a vain and selfish china rabbit who learns the value (and price) of love. Edward's journey is difficult--and even horrifying, as when he sinks to the ocean floor--but Judith Ivey's steady and compassionate narration makes one confident that everything will turn out all right in the end. And Ivey's skillful accent changes, from a New England fisherman and his wife to a Southern hobo and his dog, help communicate Edward's physical travels across the country better even than the text does. However, listeners may want to seek out the print book to see Bagram Ibatoulline's evocative illustrations, which are not included with the audio packaging. J.M.D. © AudioFile 2006, Portland, Maine-- Copyright © AudioFile, Portland, Maine

Weymouth
Website

4 years old? i didnt click, my twin babies were 4 yesterday - where did that go huh ?
and little mary, well she is 2 next month ...

do get the book and read it, i loved it ... i hope they make a movie !
thanks for sharing that info bobbie xxx

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Well, See?? Cat, you were meant to be doing this!! 4 years - Kismet - and Serendipitous -  bear_original

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh he is wonderful  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Weymouth
Website

edward-fine.JPGok i finished Edward !

he will be posted this week to the USA ....

Weymouth
Website

edward-rosie.JPGrecognise this scene from the book ?
this is a friends boxer - she doesnt have the trimmed ears, bt she is just right isnt she ???
and so is my 'timless' carpet and my brown chairs !

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

He looks magnificent!

Weymouth
Website

thanks katy - even when tumbled to the floor?
i have more posed shots with the dog, but i liked this out take a lot ....

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

He is wonderful.   You did an excellent job.

Weymouth
Website

thank you eva xxxx

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm wonderfully delighted by it all. The gorgeous  rabbit and the thought of an adventurous read. :dance:

Weymouth
Website

hello wendy, yes do get a copy !
im starting to read it to my 4 year olds ....
cat xxx

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  Well, I got my book and read it thru rather quickly, what a great and moving story.  That wonderful Edward was a rabbit of all kinds.  Your rabbit is coming along just wonderful.  Thanx for sharing this wonderful story and your perfect rabbit.
The person who commissioned it will simply love it. :hug:

Board footer