Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

puca bears puca bears

Hi all........
sad to report, but the Teddybaer Total show was something of a wash out.........the exhibitor numbers were noticeably down on last year - and the visitors?  So few, that  it felt like the last half hour of the Sunday afternoon of a normal 2-day show..........positively DIRE. Very few happy faces amongst the artists, with lots saying they wouldn't bother next year...      On the up-side, we had lots of fun and laughs with friends..........but really - all the work, preparation and anticipation - for what?
It remains to be seen what the organisers think, when the dust has settled, but I can't think they will be very happy with the situation - all rather depressing!
huggies
Maria

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Maria,

I'm so sorry to read that Teddy Total wasn't a succes (to put it mildly).  bear_sad

Do  you have any ideas what caused the poor attendance :
- the aftermath of the air traffic mess
- economic crisis still letting itself felt
- two days is too much
????

I do feel pretty bad for deciding not to go; but I have my heart set on the Stratford show in June and 2 shows in three months time is just a bit too much for my wallet.   bear_laugh

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

puca bears puca bears

that's the $64 000 question, Peter!!
the Teddybär Total show has always called itself the world's biggest, but it shrinks year by year (as do many other shows).
A lot of us think they should move back to Munster - in the three years since they moved to Rheda, the attendance has been going down........but then - IS it the recession - or the fact that Rheda is a little more difficult to get to. I wish I knew the answer......and I'm sure the organisers  feel the same!
apparently on Saturday there was a huge demo against nuclear power stations, with thousands of people linking hands and blocking roads, and there were two multiple pile-ups on roads in the area......contributory factors? ? Or just a "clutching at straws" excuse?
If you had come, you would have seen some fabulous bears.......and sadly , a lot of them just went back home with their creators.
As for the two day aspect....it's pretty much the norm here. Saturday is usually the busy day, and Sunday is the day when visitors just come to look - and exhibitors can take time to wander round, buy materials and chat with friends!
Volcano.....seems that those who had planned to  fly earlier last week had all the problems - like Wendy, whose original flight was cancelled, and rebooking meant a big delay.......others, who were flying in the day before the show, had no problems.
It'll be interesting to see what ideas the organisers come up with..........it would be awful to see this show bite the dust.
huggies
Maria

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Sorry to hear it didn't go well Maria, hope they give it one more chance for you next year (the volcano can't erupt 2 years running at this time, right?!)

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

What a shame, Maria! Perhaps it was a good thing Wendy didn't make it to the show, I would hate for her to have had such disappoinment after her huge build up. It's a show I would really love to participate in, I hope it doesn't fold before I get to. Hopefully it's an accumulation of all the above mentioned "possibilities" and things will return to how they were. I have found, however, that when organisers move to alternete venues, that it is often a slow decline to death, I hope this isn't the case.  bear_sad  bear_sad

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

What a shame....I remember when the brilliant NEC show moved to Coventry..what a nightmare that was..and shortly after that it died completely. There are less and less good shows nowadays and I am less and less inclined to risk all the effort and stress involved with doing them.
It's a difficult one but I am sure it's because online shopping is slowly taking over.

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Hello dear Maria - this is really very sad to hear - For me the distance is too far, and I was really sad, that I couldn't be a part there, but if you say, that it wasn't what all the artists expected ...... omg - why are there so little good shows around - when will the crisis stop around us ..... what's wrong with the world
beary huggies to you my dear!!!!

puca bears puca bears

It IS a worry for the teddy world - the decline of ANY show..........
I don't rely on an income from my bears - selling them is just a means to affording nice materials, and indulging myself in the fun of being creative.........but for those who DO need the income, it's even more of a worry. For me, one of the best parts of going to a show is the chance to catch up with friends and spend a happy time among like-minded people (and teddy people ARE the best!). But when friends say that they probably won't bother next year.......????????
As an indication of how bad the show was, on the Sunday, Sue and Jasper  Pearson had packed up and left within the second hour.......what does that say? Hey ho - all we can do is HOPE that things pick up.........
huggies
Maria

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi there Maria,

Hope you are keeping well!

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear the sad news about this fair.  I feel so very sorry for all the artists who have put SO much trouble and effort into working towards the possibility of a brilliant show, only to be "hit in the face" with such a bad outcome, especially for those travelling long distances to either exhibit or visit.  As said before, many good little shows and fairs have fallen by the wayside here in the UK too so lets hope that your fair over there fights on and makes a big success next year.   If people start giving up though at shows, it certainly doesn't help the general atmosphere or feelings between other artists, almost giving them the same feelings of despair and "why should I bother".  It's a difficult problem really, but one that I hope will soon be resolved.

Just think of "Lily and Hope", they wouldn't give up!! bear_wub  bear_wub

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower  bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

Not planning to give up just yet, Marilyn........but it is depressing. One of those catch 22 situations........if the visitors give up, the exhibitors get discouraged.........and if they stop doing shows, there'd be nothing to attract visitors. Just keep hoping that things take a turn for the better  - or wishing I'd started making bears years ago - when things WERE good!  Such is life..............

huggies
Maria :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Thanks for the report, Maria.  How sad to hear of another show having problems.

Board footer