Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

gingerwine Posts: 4

I have no idea how to do this and would really appreciate if if someone could advise me! How do you achieve the shading on the nose
and around the eyes...I keep reading different things...Pencils, Copic pens...airbrushing (although that seems expensive)

thankyou!

Sam x

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I shade with Prismacolor markers and with Acrylic paints on a dry brush.   For small areas I would use markers.  To me they are not good on large areas, they make the fur feel a little sticky.  Whatever type of permanent art marker you choose see if you can purchase the blender pen.  It is a no color pen that blends and also can remove the color.  It really works well for blending the color, I would not do without one, or two.

Joanne

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hello^^

I have just done some shading once on a bear, but think it turned out rather cute. I used pastel chalk (is it called like that in English?!  bear_ermm ). First, I rubbed it over paper to get the dust. Then I took a very fine tipped brush (as I work on miniatures), took some of the dust with it and gently brushed it into the fur where I wanted it to be. You could also use a Q-tip if working on a "round" area like under the eyes.

Just my 2 cents, I don't know if others do it this way too

Hugs, Ariane

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Well it's really a shame, so please don't start laughing, but I will tell you - I put some eyeshadow on my bears ...... and look it works!!!!! For make it permanent just use some hair-lack - try it out and keep me informed!!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sam, we have a library (right above your post, on the left side) that has a wealth of information on many subjects.  Look under the category 'Airbrushing/Painting/Shading' and you will find lots of help.

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

I use the professional copic art pens with the shader pen - they work brilliantly.  I have also used make up for added shading, a bit of brown or black eyeshadow and a bright pink blusher... just softens the edges and builds up the colour a little.
xxx

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

i use copic markers and a blunt artist brush to blend.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I try whatever I can find- normally testing on a small piece of fabric before on the bear. I try and use Prisma felt tipped Pens, although I have to import them as we do not have an agent for them in South Africa. I purchased the Prisma colored pencils from Sassy bears and they seem to work nicely. Then I have also used colored chalks.
Copic Pens can leave a sticky residue, although if used with the "air pressure system" this gives a better result.

The important thing is to blend the colors and create a natural look.

Have fun
Lynette

Rasa's Cozy Corner Rasa's Cozy Corner
Haarlem

For my bears I use oil - colours. Usually I put some colour on a paper and let it stand at least one hour (usually more), than  oil separates from colour (you can see a fat spot around colour on  a paper). I use dry brush to shade around eyes and nose. I do not shade fur, only basicl. Lot of my bears' muzzels are totaly trimmed. Hope I helped a little bit  bear_original

Board footer