Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thought I woulod share this and post some pictures later when I get to my camera. I know this topic has come up before . Having played around with some of the Sassy fabrics which I sell, has been my only experience with dyes.

Yesterday I tackled various kinds of white mohair- and very pleased with the result. I had no idea where to start, mixed some Kool Aid which Stephanie from Sassy Bears( my personal shopper in USA for things not available in South Africa) I added hot water, I added salt, I mixed, and even used a small cream frother to disolve the powder. I did the same with RIT powder dye. Did no accurate measurements and did not read instructions- somethimes they confuse me more. I wanted rainbow colored fabric as the end result.

Dressed as a bag lady, old pants, old jersey, socks, fluffy feet, I already knew where most of the dye was going so prepared for it  wearing old clothes.  I placed the fabric over a wooden arch and out came the paint brush. With all my pots of various mixtures, I painted the fabric, rolled the fabric, squeezed the fabric, threw left over dyes onto the fabric, so basically did just what I wanted to do.

With all the various types of mohair now colored, I dumped it into the washing machine and let it run through the rinse and spin cycle. Then it was dumped into the tumble dryer.

Yes at the end I did look like a painted up bag lady,however I am pleased with the outcome. If you want to play with mohair, and like me have no idea what you are doing, try it and be adventurous, like me the result might surprise you.

Drying in the tumble dryer fluffs the mohair and one piece I am going to use for a bear, the other is going into my shop for sale. Just watch for all the fluff that comes off and be sure to clean the filter of the tumble dryer frequently.

Lynette

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Fun!  I want to play with some dye soon, I have the binbag overalls already planned, and I've got my stop watch because I have a particular end result to try and aim for (thankfully I have loads of scraps of this mohair to play with), but I think I need to get some rubber gloves otherwise I can see myself with blue hands at work, and they already think I'm quite nutty enough  :crackup:

teeeej Brisbane

I love dying mohair. The best part is the mess and dying your hands different colours!!! No gloves for me  :crackup:  :crackup:

Board footer