Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

I have some dyes I'd like to try on mohair fabric, and I wondered:

Has anyone here done this well using a crockpot?

The dyes I have are mostly Jacquard, I think, but the problem is the dye store repackages all their dye under their own brand name and the sales person was less than helpful.  And perhaps some colours are faster acting than others, even within the same manufacturer's range?     

My challenge is that both the available stove and the crockpot are electric, and its slightly difficult to know what temp. one is getting with settings like Low-High, and 4-6-8 Hrs!  Is it possible to 'overcook' mohair?  Has anyone tried the microwave oven method?

With acid dying, have you found that adding salt (not sure of amount) assists the dye absorption for the mohair?

And is using a little detergent necessary during or after the dying process to wash out access dye?

Has anyone experienced 'fabric shock' when hand/stove dying, and if so, what was the threshold, do you think, that you crossed that caused it to happen? (silly question, I know, but was it after plunging the fabric immediately into cold water from hot, or how long should one take to cool down the mohair while rinsing?

I'm, like, the teddy bear making nerd!!! :)

Looking forward to your advice, I really, really appreciate it, and its always better to ask FIRST before I start something new; I've learned the hard way!

Cheers and thanks

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Brenda, I've never dyed mohair in a crock pot, but in the library right above your post, there is a topic called "Dyes and Colorants" which might give you some insight.

teddyretirementhome Woo Bears
toronto

Hi Sue Ann

Yes, I spent some time browsing through it...

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Never done in a crock pot.  I bought a soup pot just for dyeing.  I always get the fabric wet in warm water first before dyeing to avoid "shock" - decided not to take the chance since it's easy to do.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I use RIT dyes and have no scientific method for dyeing. I use a large stock pot on an electric stove. I use salt in the water. I bring the water to a boil then shut the burner off when I add the mohair. I soak it in warm water before putting into the dye bath and when I take it out I rinse it in cool water until the water runs clear. That's it! Simple. Note: I do use a little swatch of the mohair to test the color before dyeing a whole piece of it.

I found this method for acid dyes online: http://www.primmartcommunity.com/forum/ … hp?t=90659
It's for wool so in theory I believe it should work for mohair.

Board footer