Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Hi all. David & I returned on Saturday from 14 glorious days riding bikes 4033 miles. We left home on Sunday morning, June 20, drove through Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick. We then explored Nova Scotia, trying to stay along the shores, rode the south shore from Dartmouth east, then the south shore of Bras d'or lake. Spent 2 nights in a nice B&B on the north shore of the lake, about 15 minutes from the Newfoundland ferry. Our drive through Vernont the first day had us going through rain for about 4 hours, I think it was the same storm, just hitting different sections as the road twisted! Driving the south shore of NS was in some drizzly fog, but it cleared up. Unfortunately, the Cabot Trail, first half was in fog so thick you could only see about 30 feet in front. The 2nd half through the Highlands was gorgeous and clear.

Then we got on the ferry for Newfoundland. We landed at Port aux Basques. (west side of the province) The ferry was 2 1/2 hours late, so our plans went all to h---! We found a beautiful B&B in St. Theresa, the guy was very nice and we had the place to ourselves....nice and relaxing. We drove through Port au Port penisula, which was beautiful, spent the night in a motel in Badger. Continuiing the next day to Twillingate and the Northern shore on into Eastport to another pretty spot B&B. We have now been on the road for 8 days. I called the ferry to check on departure time from Argentia on the east side, only to find out it was cancelled and we needed to go back to Port aux Basques by 4:30 on Tuesday! So, Monday morning we got on the bikes and headed back west spending the night in Gros Moraine Park at a B&B in Rocky Harbor. Then on Tuesday, finish the last 220 miles to the ferry, arriving at the B&B around 11 PM. Wednesday morning we left late to start our trek home. Again, Cape Breton area was in a fog, so we went straight through spending the night in Amherst, then onto Maine, then back roads into Vermont taking the Charlotte/Essex ferry and through the Adirondacks, arriving home around noon on Saturday.

Total trip was 14 days, about 2 days in rains, another day in fog. Newfoundland was cold, but not much traffice, and a well-kept secret. We would love to get back to Newfoundland, we missed seeing the whole Avalon Penisula.................a reason to plan another trip over. Novas Scotia has some really pretty spots......maybe someday I will do this trip again, with a longer time out so I can see more of the area.................St._Joh_NB.jpg
Reverse Falls, St. John, New Brunswick
Fundy.jpg
Erl enjoying the view over the Bay of Fundy...tide was out.
ferry.jpg
The ferry to Newfoundland
twillingate.jpg
Checking out Twillingate area.....such a long way up, and windy!!!!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Some more pictures:
sunset.jpg
Sunset over Salvage, Newfoundland
Rocky_Harbour.jpg
Looking out from the lighthouse near Rocky Harbour in Gros Morne national Park
lobster.jpg
What's a trip to fishing viallgaes without Lobster?????
Crawford.jpg
Crawford Notch, New hampshire, on the way home
home.jpg
Hey Mom....isn't that New York and the Adirondacks over there? Must be last leg of the trip.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Beautiful pictures, Ellen.  I love the east coast but it doesn't love me - my arthritis is always worse when I'm visiting there.  MY sister lives in Yarmouth, Nove Scotia.  It's really pretty.  Glad you had a lovely trip and made it back safe.

hugs,

Brenda

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Beautiful pictures, and what fun.  My husband and I were married 31 years ago.  On our honeymoon we toured Texas on a motorcycle.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a great and exciting trip, Ellen!  Beautiful photos . . . thanks so much for sharing!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh I would so love to be able to do a trip like that one day, thanks for sharing the pics

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Beautiful pictures.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

What a fabulous trip Ellen.  You went right through my backyard  and I didn't even know it !  Too bad the weather wasn't better as it is beautiful here, especially the Cabot Trail.  Not so much in the fog bear_sad

Glad you had a good time despite the weather and ferry issues.  I remember my one and only ferry trip to Nfld years ago.  So many people were sea sick as the water was very rough,  and that is  a long ferry ride too.  However, it must have been beautiful touring on the bikes.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Lovely pictures, Ellen !  :clap:

You certainly seem to have had a great time and I am glad that Erl got to enjoy it as well !  bear_original

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Board footer