Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Hey Everyone

Help! I'm working on another realistic polar and am convinced this bear is cursed (nothing is going right).

Anyway, have been working on stuffing the head today. It's so neatly sewn, in fact the best I've done, the the nose is well aligned however on stuffing, (at curved points in particular) the head seems to be developing bumps long the seam line, that I just can't get rid of. I was hoping this would be due to lack of stuffing, but the more I stuff the more obvious these bumps are becoming.

Can anyone help? What has caused this? Can I fix it?

Thanks

Richard
x

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hm.. have you reduced the seam allowance? You could also try to cut v-shapes in the seam allowance on the curved parts if this makes sense.
Also, it could be helpful if you could post a picture of the problem-head^^

Hugs, Ariane

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

I hadn't reduced the seam allowance, I used the standard but have cut this back since the the hopes this would help, but it hasn't unfortunately. I will try and post a picture later but I'm not sure it will help as you can't actually see the bumps, you can just feel them along a small section of the seam (imagine mmm).

Thanks.
Richard
x

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

The curved seams need to be "nipped".  If you don't, then when you turn them rightside out the seam bunches up and creates the bumps that you feel.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Yup, I agree, In sewing the curves you have to cut nips in the seam so it lays better. Also, stuffing correctly is important. Use smaller clumps of stuffing. Use your scissors to pack it in there to get it firmly stuffed.

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Thanks everyone  :lol:, not so frustrated anymore so will give it another whirl.

Richard
x

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

As well as clipping curves on the head, do it on the rest of the seams too.  Also not sure what you mean by standard seam allowance, as that's dependent on the size of the item being sewn, the material use and your comfort factor

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I agree with everyone about cutting into the curves... Sort of. It is essential in sewing clothes so curves lay flat and don't bunch, but in bears, I've never had that problem.

I would be concerned cutting into the seams on a bear as you have the pressure of the stuffing putting allot of pressure on the seams, not something you encounter in clothes.

I had similar problems when I began. I realised my seams were not always "open". When I stuff I find it best to make sure the seam allowances are spread open. (See picture - Obviously don't iron them!)

ironing-seam-open-by-brettbara.jpeg

You can do that by careful stuffing or stitching the seams open with a different coloured thread in a running stitch to the outside of the head, then you can pull the thread out once stuffed. Since I have done this I haven't had any lumpy heads at all and I don't use tiny bits of stuffing.

Richy~

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Richy - That's BRILLIANT!!! I was going to comment on your excellent analogy about ironing, as to opening the seam when running the stuffing tool up the seams when placing the stuffing, especially along the forehead and top of the muzzle, because that's exactly what causes that awful line of the nap being 'folded over toward one side along a seam, and no amount of manipulation from the outside with fix it because the real fix is properly spreading apart the seam allowances.
That's best done in the earliest stuffing stages.

But when you suggest a long running basting st in a contrasting color to hold the seam allowances apart until the stuffing will hold them there  ——well that's sheer genius! One of those forehead-smacking moments when one says "Why didn't I think of that!"

Thank you SO much for sharing that!!!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Wow - I haven't been online for a month, and an alert from a followed thread came in today, leading me into Teddy Talk, where I stayed for half an hour, reading what everyone's been talking about.
And then I went into email just now - and from one of my favorite publications, comes its newsletter - with this very subject!! It combines both the topic of pressed open seams and clipping the seam allowances!

Here's the link: they are discussing clothing - the bodice top of a dress, but with a bit of imagination, those 3 pcs are the same ones with almost the same curves that we have with the Head sides and Gusset/Muzzle piece.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/147 … ves/page/1

As Katy said, the width of your seam allowance is in relationship to your overall ted's size, but the process is the same here, is very clearly explained in photographic detail in 3 pages and I think that one or two of the steps (along with the basting stitching) would certainly overcome any bumpy prob you'll ever encounter in future!

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire
rkr4cds wrote:

Richy - That's BRILLIANT!!! I was going to comment on your excellent analogy about ironing, as to opening the seam when running the stuffing tool up the seams when placing the stuffing, especially along the forehead and top of the muzzle, because that's exactly what causes that awful line of the nap being 'folded over toward one side along a seam, and no amount of manipulation from the outside with fix it because the real fix is properly spreading apart the seam allowances.
That's best done in the earliest stuffing stages.

But when you suggest a long running basting st in a contrasting color to hold the seam allowances apart until the stuffing will hold them there  ——well that's sheer genius! One of those forehead-smacking moments when one says "Why didn't I think of that!"

Thank you SO much for sharing that!!!

You are very welcome! I used to have to restuff heads because of what you metioned the awfull nap being folded over to one side.. I found it difficult and took alot of time to stuff the seams open. So being a little lazy, I thought it stitch them open. If you leave your stitches long and use a knot on the outside, you litterally can pull the line of thread out in one go when you're done stuffing! So easy.

Richy~

Board footer