Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I received an email thorough ebay and was wondering if it passes the sniff test... If it is real, it could put my name out there but I dont know... gals, what do you think?

hi,
I love your art--- we are promoting a show at the disneyland hotel in march (california)..and would like to invite you to participate...please check out our website, and if you are interested in learning more, i can send you a contract. thank you,
Kerry www.all-iday.com

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I got an email a while back from LittleMissyPrimitives (one of the organizers of the event you mention above) and it looked legit to me.  It was for a similar show.  I declined because I wasn't able to produce bears for the event in the time period required, but I did exchange some mail with Missy, I think it was, and found her pleasant and friendly.  That doesn't mean it's a legitimate venture, though.

My advice to you would be to contact one of the participating artists and ask them if they have worked with her before.  I do recognize some of the folk artists names from Galleries or eBay, or elsewhere.

It might be worth asking a few questions!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Hmmmm....well, it does say the graphics were created back in 2002, so its been around alittle bit.  I would ty to contact the Disneyland people and see if this were a "for real" thing before getting in touch with these people. 

It would be a WONDERFUL breakthrough for you if this is real, though!!!  I mean, Disney is pretty big.  I'm sure some of the other girls will have a better idea if this is for real or not.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I checked out the website and it does look legit.  Like Shelli, I recognize some of the artists because I surf the web for primitive/folk art stuff.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That is soo cool!! At least worth checking into.
If it is real, CONGRATS!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

i hope it is... that would really get my name out!  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yeah, Kim.... contact them! bear_grin

I recognize some of the artists too..... very folk art/primitive.
You'd want to be sure your work fits in, etc.

In fact, I don't know if you've done a show yet but there are a whole lot of questions you'll want to ask!
PM me if you'd like some help coming up with a list.

This is a long way to travel, a lot of expenses involved so you want to be sure it's the right event for you and worth the time/money!

It would definately be great exposure!!!!!

Let us know what you do!!!!  :dance:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yeah, but Daphne... it's DISNEYLAND!!!  How much suffering can there BE, even if the show stinks???

bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well one of my questions would be if I would have to travel... they have stuff online that they are selling so maybe I wouldnt... if I would have to travel, it isnt an option, I dont have the mulah at this time...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OH, I know!
I've been asked to do the Disney WORLD Bear show and sort of figured the same thing!!  bear_laugh
But I'd want to at least make back the $$$$$ I paid to do the Bear show... it's NOT cheap! Location... Location... Location!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yeah, but even if you made back the cost of your travel and table... you'd spend hundreds, if not thousands, more than that, enjoying Disneyland/world, and on nice hotel costs, and cotton candy, and trinkets with tiny photos of Simba, etc.  So it's one case where maybe the "I'll consider this a vacation" philosophy might work well!  And everything else is gravy!

Then again, this is just my wishful thinking speaking aloud.  I want to go to Disneyland RIGHT NOW.  It's rainy here, and Disneyland, as you all know, is the happiest place on Earth!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Call Disneyland and ask them.  We go to the Doll and Teddy Bear convention at Walt Disney World every year.  We contact special events or something like that.   I know Disney invites the artists for this.

Here's a website that lists events for Disneyland and Walt Disney World that is the official one:
http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/disneygallery/

If it's real, congratulations!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_laugh    bear_laugh    bear_laugh  You are quite right, my dear!!!!

I hear ya... it's 35 degrees and foggy and drizzly and dreary here. Disney would be a fantastic place to be today!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

If I do go to Cali... I will have to make a special trip and break into shel's house and steal her bear that has the wooden monkey....  *plotting*  :twisted:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

ANDREA-JEANNE-small72dpi.jpgANDREA-JEANNE-250-x-282.jpgAh... that bear lives in Utah, I'm afraid, with a delightful repeat collector.  That was CLAIRE.  You liked her?  Thank you for saying so!

I only have skunky boy CHAUNCEY, and AMELIE (the angel,) and now my new ballet bear, at home.  Oh, and one of my very earliest bears... the one that is the basis for my logo design by my friend Andrea; I named her ANDREA JEANNE in Andrea's honor, for being so helpful to me.  I kept her because she is the foundation of my logo and branding and because of her attachment to my great friend; picture attached, for the curious.  I kept the other two because I liked them best!   The rest I had to sell, or find work outside the home.  This is my income, and it's not an easy living, so they ALL must go elsewhere!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

*making mental note* utah you say *scratching chin*  :twisted:

I have a few"dud" bears at home... and I kept lil wooh which is my avatar bear... I tried to auction him but he didnt sell but that is fine becuase I wanted him!

who is the fuzzster in the pic?  he is cute!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Kim,  That would be so cool if it turned out legit! :dance:

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I'm very lucky because I live so close to Disneyland that it is almost like our second home. I looked at the show in question and it is not associated with Disneyland...it is only being put on in one of rentable rooms on the hotel grounds by a private promoter. I did a show like that once in the same area on the Disney grounds and it was one of the worse shows that I have ever done. Disneyland stopped putting on Teddy Bear Shows many years ago. Sorry, but better to be warned...Kathy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh Kathy, very nice to add your honest imput. You might be able to save Kim alot of effort.

Shelli.. OMG!! That bear!!!! That is my favorite of yours!! Wow! Is that mohair?? Amazing

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Nope, synthetic... and not a great one, at that.  It was one of my first "good" bears after the very first fifteen to twenty "bad" bears.  That one has clay eyelids and nose, which I dropped after learning how to do cording and embroidery.  The latter are both quicker and neater, and I like the effect better.  But clay works too!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

....hmmmmm...mental note that Shelli still has Chauncey... My hubby ADORES your Chauncey  bear_wub   bear_grin  He fell in love with him when I showed him this year's nominees.  So if Chauncey ever needs a new home... please let me know  :hug:  I think Eldon would have him as a friend for life!  :hug:

Board footer