Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

bear_original Hi I have just brought a needlefelting kit. Early christmas pressie for me bear_thumb  How ever I know nothing about this craft. Any hints or suggestions would help  :pray: Anything to make the job easier  :doh: . I am really looking forward to having a go  bear_original

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Like you I got into needlefelting and having no idea what to do ........ I just got in and had a go ..... I really wasn't happy with the results ........ but now I know I was doing it all wrong... I was trying to to do a bear in one piece but that is not the way to go you do each piece seperate and felt them together I still not sure how they joint them but I guess I will find that out when I am happy with the results of the felting sorry I am not much help.......but good luck

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

http://www.purelyneysa.com/felting/inst … ooklet.pdf

Neysa has directions on her website... these helped me when I started...

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Yeah ditto what Kim has said Patsy - once you get into it you'll really enjoy it. Also play around with it too, don't worry about getting everything perfect at first - like everything, you get better the more you do it.

Have fun with it Patsy - let us see the results when you're done (we are SOOO nosy)  :dance:

Penny  bear_thumb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Did no book come with your kit? 

Here's what you do

1.  take a small amount of fluff and squish it really tight in your hand....think about the first piece you want to make.  Is the squished up fluff about the right size?

2.  separate it by pulling it apart-and turn the parts in opposite directions.

3.  put the wad of fluff on your foam pillow

4. start poking.....have you ever made bread?  it's similar to kneading bread.

poke-turn-poke-turn-poke-turn...keep rolling it around too

5. you don't want to create a flat piece....you turn the piece as you poke and turn and ROLL .  When it gets tighter and harder you will need to switch to other needles.

6.  you want it to be quite stiff

7.  it takes thousands of pokes

8.  PAY ATTENTION DARLIN!!!

9.  have bandaids handy...

10.  after you have a piece resembling what you want you repeat for the other shapes.

I find it easier to start with the body- because all the other pieces are in proportion to my body.  Then I do the head, legs,arms.

The key, for me, is to be thinking, while I am poking, about world peace.  Opps, nope that was the movie I was watching, Miss Congeniality.  k055.gif

Think about what you think you want your critter to look like.  a010.gif

In my case I envision Disney-cute and get Goofy.....can't get Bambi cute or Thumper or even the cute little mousies in Cinderella, nope- I get Goofy.
a030.gif   c025.gif   e035.gif   e055.gif   n020.gif   k010.gif  o015.gif 

It is addicting.  And you can feel like Michelangelo-because you are sculpting out of a wad of fluff something no one has ever seen before.

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/flt_ndls.htm#needles

http://www.cobwebcottage.co.nz/BearsAvailable.html

I would recommend the Barbara Allen book, at cobweb cottage or Edinburgh

it is very basic but assures success....which is important if you are starting something new.

good luck

385.png

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

AAAHHH I could not have said it better myself ladies.   

Also keep in mind that needle felting takes a lot of time....hours and hours, depending on how large your project is, to achieve the desired results.

' Tarnuf' let us know how things work out for you.   :hug:

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

bear_wub  Thankyou so much for all your advice and links. The kit has arrived  :clap:  I have looked through it and got the needlefelting book from the library. It just dosnt seem possible  :doh:  Kids are at school today so going to sit down and have a go. I was lucky enough to go to our local bear show and met Barbara Allen in person. She is such a loverly lady and very talented. Will post pics when I have finished if he actually turns out ok  bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Best of luck.  It is really really fun!  Let us know how it works out for you and be sure to post some photos.
Hugs, Judi

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey Tarnuf, how'er you doing?  Fingers all bandaged?  Blood on the rovings?  Way to go....

180.png

YAY.!!!!  CAN HARDLY WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!

Board footer