Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Karon Posts: 751

Yesterday I saw something on the TV that left me gobsmacked (a very rare occurance!).

This woman was caught on CCTV.

A cat walked along the wall towards her for a stroke, and she picked her up by the scruff and put her in a gi-normous waste bin - then walked on!!!!!

Apparently the hunt is on to discover the identity of this female dog of a woman.

It was a piece of footage I had to watch more than once to believe what I was seeing.

The cat, called I think Olive, was rescued OK.

My cats Thomasina and Frankie are housecats - seeing that made me realise I was doing the right thing - not only am I protecting them from mad idiot drivers but also the ever increasing number of people who take their cruel tendancies out on these lovely creatures.

Rant over!

Fallenrose near Cologne

oh my gosh.. what takes people to do something THAT cruel??
I can't understand it

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Karon,

I saw that video, and I was so angry, I felt like putting her in the trash bin headfirst, what a disgusting act of cruelty to a poor little kitty...luckily her owners found her and she is okay.....poor little pet had been in the bin for 15 hours in hot conditions ....the authorities have also tracked down the woman  :twisted:  and hopefully she'll be charged.....

Here's a link

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/w … 5909769498

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Oh poor Olive, thank god she was OK!  I would like to think that they will find that woman and severely punish her, but you know how wet the courts are here. 

My aunt used to have five house cats.  All her neighbours had very pretty gardens (my aunts wasn't too bad either  bear_grin ) and as true gardeners they hated cats, often throwing things at them, so my aunt kept hers in.   One of my aunts cats used to like going for a walk on a lead - now that was fun to watch  bear_grin

I didn't know you had cats Karon - do you still have bunnies too?

:hug: Ali

Hi Ali

Yes I still have my bunnies - I adore rabbits!

To be honest, I am not sure where this wicked act took place - do you know Denise.

I am SO glad they have caught her.  It just seemed such a totally BIZARRE thing to do!

:hug:

Karon

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

This 'woman'(I use the word lightly, she's a witch) is from Coventry, UK.
From today's papers: "But she claimed the outcry had been blown out of all proportion.
She said
'I don't know what the fuss is about. It's just a cat.'
The unmarried bank worker said she was just walking home on Saturday when she saw the cat and decided to play with it. But she told the Sun that she 'suddenly thought it would be funny' to put it in the bin.
'I did it as a joke because I thought it would be funny. I never thought it would be trapped, I expected it to wriggle out,' she said.
Referring to the CCTV footage, she told how she could not believe it was being seen around the world and was afraid it would upset her family.

She said: 'I don't know what my relatives will think but to be honest I think everyone is overreacting a bit.'
While Miss Bale admitted she should not have done it, she said she did not deserve to be 'hated' by everyone and assumed the cat would find its own way out the bin.

You can see her caught on camera here....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … t-cat.html

Her mother is so sorry and making one excuse after the other for her behaviour, but the women herself, doesn't seem to give a fig. Wouldn't be surprised if family have been making excuses for her, all her life and believing the family myth. Know it happens to the witch in our family.
Can't for second believe she thought, that cat, could get out of that bin, they are so tall with a lid and smooth sides.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Question: If she was caught on tape why didn't the person taping her go rescue the cat? I thought perhaps it was a security camera but why would it be aimed just at the trash bin and this woman? Seems odd to me.

Miss Bale needs some psychiactric evaluation. IMO. bear_ermm

Fallenrose near Cologne

Oh. My. Gosh! I just saw it in the German TV.. Holy crap!! How can somebody be able to do something like this to such a sweet lil cat?!  bear_cry

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales
Daphne wrote:

Question: If she was caught on tape why didn't the person taping her go rescue the cat? I thought perhaps it was a security camera but why would it be aimed just at the trash bin and this woman? Seems odd to me.

Miss Bale needs some psychiactric evaluation. IMO. :/

They called/looked for their cat, eventually finding him, after hearing his crys and finding him in the bin. They then looked at the film, to see how he got in there and were shocked to find he'd been in the bin for 15 hrs and stunned to see how it had happened. The poor cat was covered in it's own poop.

It was a security camera, they'd installed after someone kept scratching their car. They found it was their elderly neighbour, who was keying their car. When confronted the neighbour said it was because they were parking near or in her space. They made the neighbour pay for the repair/ repaint or they said they'd turn the film over to the police. Neighbour paid up.
They'd thought they had a good relationship with the neighbour.

Fallenrose near Cologne
Stitch wrote:
Daphne wrote:

Miss Bale needs some psychiactric evaluation. IMO. :/

They called/looked for their cat, eventually finding him, after hearing his crys and finding him in the bin. They then looked at the film, to see how he got in there and were shocked to find he'd been in the bin for 15 hrs and stunned to see how it had happened. The poor cat was covered in it's own poop.

They also said it was on the security camera in front of the cat owner's house^^

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

That is such a shock to see how this woman abused this innocent kitty. What a sick thing to do! I truly hope she gets charged with the fullest the law allows. Some mental health counseling should be a part of her sentence. Oh and she should never be allowed to own a pet. I hope that is in the sentence too. The judge needs to protect the innocent animals from the likes of her.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_cry Pretty sad what some people do to animals.  I understand she said it was a joke to see if the cat could get out.  Not sure on that.  The cat was named Lola and back with its owner. Thats why my cat was an inside cat only, no going outdoors to the terrible things that can happen to a pet.  I feel sorry for that woman as now she probably can not go out her own home, see how she likes being trapped.  There was more notarity on this piece, (front Page) than the miners trapped in Chile.  Unreal.
Thank goodness the cat is now safe.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

So she expected the cat to "wriggle out" - what did she think the cat was, Tarzan!  And it was"just a cat"!!  That sweet friendly cat was someone's pet - evil "witch"!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I guess I didn't read the article at the link Karon provided carefully enough. Sorry! Thanks for filling me in.

Still think she needs psychological help.

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

I think that woman should be put in a bin herself! How terrible to do that to an innocent cat!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Daphne wrote:

Still think she needs psychological help.

Absolutely right. I think we have to assume there's some mental illness at work here. Even if the woman had a story to make light of the situation, sadistic behavior is not normal.

It's very sad, and I hope that some good comes of it.

Becky

Moo Posts: 26

I couldn't believe this when my mum told me about it, I don't watch the tv so pretty much live in a bubble lol.  I googled it and lo' there it was, CCTV footage of this horrible woman appearing to stroke a kitty and then look around to check no one was looking and place it in a bin..
"It's just a cat" "It was only a joke"  "blown out of proportion" one excuse after another in my opinion.   Would she still find it funny if someone grabbed her and placed her in a sealed container for 15 hours?  Would she think it was just a joke then?  Sure a cat isn't a human, but it doesn't make them any less important. 
Whenever I see a cat on my walks I always stop for a little attention.  Even the cats in windows we see get a smile and a stroke on the glass (yes we're crazy animal lovers).  I can't possibly imagine what was going through this woman's mind.  I've been scratched by feisty cats before, I even have a scar on my chest after one I was holding became scared of a barking dog, I've been bitten twice by dogs and yet still would never cause any hurt.
In a way I do see what she means by blown out of proportion - it's like it's the most important story in the world right now, which it's not.  But in this day and age, it's disgraceful and shocking, which is why it's getting the attention that it is.

Hopefully she will receive some form of punishment as well as psychological help, but it's unlikely  bear_sad  I think I read somewhere that the police couldn't press charges, but hopefully the RSPCA can do something.

Densteds Densteds
Website
Karon wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure where this wicked act took place - do you know Denise.

Karon

Karon, it was in Coventry in the West Midlands, England...it's on the link in my first post..the pussycat is named Lola

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

How can somebody do such cruel things - what has happened to the world???? Where are we going???? Why can't we all live in peace with all our neighbours and all our beloved animals - this makes me very sad to see the world in this way!!!!

I'm glad they found the woman and I hope she will never forget what she did and will be remembered day by day what happened!!!!

a kitty hug from Austria bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website

I just saw her interviewd on tv.What on earth was she thinking.I think its so sinister as she appears to be affectionate then does that.Also she looks so benign and normal.I just hope it doesnt spark a lot of copy cat behaviour.That poor cat would have had a horrible end crushed in with the garbage .
Ihave a cat myself and hate the thought of anyone hurting him.I am more a dog person myself as cats can be such wee horrors playing with their prey but then thats just cats being cats.
I think they deserve their freedom though.Lots of scary things can happen to us but we wouldnt want to spend our lives indoors.I think we have to take risks to give our animals full and rich lives.

I am sorry Nettie having already sacrified two cats to the road on which I live - I am not prepared to risk any more.

My neighbours over the road have lost about SIX during the time I have lived here.  Another over the road lasted about a year.

My road is NOT busy, it is just the youngsters who persist in driving up and down there was though it is a race track giving scant regard for anything that might be in their way.

The neighbourhood is also a haven for bull-terriers, the majority of which are not kept on their leashes in public places - and if my cats DID go out I would not reckon much for their chances if they encountered one or encrouched on the garden of one in residence!

Not having ever been outside, it is my belief that they don't miss it - they have certainly never made any escape anyway.

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

That lady sounds like a bitter, angry soul.  If she believe she was just playing and thought what she did was funny, it makes me wonder what other things she might think funny that could possibly harm another for her grins and giggles. Frightening to say the least!

I keep mine inside also.  They are my furry kids and I don't want anything to happen to them.  They are so spoiled they would probably ring the doorbell until I let them back in.   :lol:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Karon wrote: I am sorry Nettie having already sacrified two cats to the road on which I live - I am not prepared to risk any more.

I agree with Karon. I keep my kitties indoors. I would be too anxiety-ridden wondering what harm they will encounter outside. I think if you get them as kittens and raise them indoors and getting them fixed they will be content to be indoor cats.  They will not have the urge to go outside. My cats have never tried to sneak out. The key is getting them fixed at a young age for their urges will prompt the need to sneak out to procreate.

My father had a sweet cat and he was attacked and killed by the neighbor’s dog. There are raccoons, and other wild animals not to mention cars, sick people like that lady in the video, cat fights that result in injuries leading to costly vet bills. For me, I'd be worried all day long. No, my cats stay inside; they are happy and safe....

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Michelle Helen wrote:

I agree with Karon. I keep my kitties indoors. I would be too anxiety-ridden wondering what harm they will encounter outside.

I know that we're veering off the topic here, but it is an interesting question for cat owners.

I have two cats that are quite happy living indoors with plenty of access to windowsills and a screened-in porch. One was adopted as a kitten and has been raised indoors; the other was adopted after he was abandoned and spent at least a month outdoors starving and injured. For my part, I am happy to know that they're safe and healthy.

But this is a decision that cat owners make based on their circumstances. People in rural areas might choose to let their cats enjoy the joys of exploring and hunting and running up trees, and they deal with the fleas and risks that come with an outdoor life. Both lifestyles can be good options - depending on the cats and their owners.

My two cents!

Becky

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

You are right Becky.  I have a friend who lives on an acreage with horses, donkeys, chickens, tons of cats, etc....you get the picture. She is an animal lover.  But her cats are outdoor pets and I do mean pets.  She feeds them every day as if they were inside cats. If they want to hunt they have that option.  I asked her how she handles it when one of them disappears. She said that is the way it is and she knows that happens. They do not live by busy streets or highways.  But the coyotes and other animals are in abundance.

Pages:

Board footer