Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

BellaPuppies8.jpgBellaPuppies7.jpgBellaPuppies6.jpgBellaPuppies5.jpgBellaPuppies4.jpgBellaPuppies3.jpgBellaPuppies2.jpgBellaPuppies1.jpgBella, our rescued shelter dog, had her puppies yesterday! She had 9 healthy puppies, 5 boys and 4 girls!  bear_wub  A couple of them are MAJOR PORKERS!!  bear_laugh  Momma and puppies are all doing well - she is SUCH a good momma and doesn't miss a beat. The runt had some big complications yesterday and I really didn't think he was going to make it, but he DID make it through the night and today he finally started sucking. bear_original Hope you all enjoy the photos!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, congrats to you all!

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

How adorable ALL of them are!  bear_wub My pets through the years have been rescued from the shelter and they have been the best pets. It is as if they know how lucky they are and return your love ten fold.  Thank you for sharing with us.

Hugs,
Cindy

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

OMG There sooo beautiful! How lucky you are . I just love them. Congrats!! To and Momma.

Bear Hugs,
Louise

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  Love the little "spotted" one!  All are adorable and mom looks totally content.  Congratulations!  Wow, nine!

Ft. Bragg, NC

Thank you, everyone!

Cindy, yes I have realized that the dogs that we have adopted from the shelter/rescued end up being the best companions! You are so right that it seems like they know, and really show you how much they appreciate it! bear_original

Sue Ann, the spotted one is my favorite, too!  bear_wub He is such a fat little hog too - ALWAYS hungry!  bear_tongue He tries to nurse on ANYTHING that touches him! lol

The firstborn (first pic) is such a squealer! If she doesn't get on a nipple right away and has to push her way in, she cries the whole time as though to say 'Moooomma, they're not letting me in FIRST!!!' hee hee

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

She sure does look a lot skinnier doesn't she.

Joanne

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

What an AWE moment.  What great pics - they are sooooo adorable!

Fallenrose near Cologne

What beautiful puppies! I'm so glad you saved their mom!  bear_grin

Hugs, Ariane

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Aw, beautiful Bella, she is such a clever dog, and she must be totally exhausted poor love. bear_wub  bear_wub

Thanks for posting the gorgeous photos of the new pups, feel sorry for the little ones that can't get near to Mum and the differences in sizes is quite amazing.

Congratulations of your new editions - you are going to have a lot of fun!

Hugs

Marilyn

Ft. Bragg, NC

Joanne, YES, she really is just skin and bones.  bear_sad When she stands up, we can see all of her ribs, spine, hip bones and shoulder blades.   I knew she was skinny when we rescued her, but gosh without that belly it REALLY becomes obvious just how emaciated she has been. She has been eating really well since the puppies were born (nearly 4 cups a day!), I am really hoping that she will put some of those pounds on soon, although she's nursing... Gosh, what a life she must have lived before we got her... I am just so happy that she has a nice warm, safe place to take care of her puppies.  bear_original

A funny story - I was transitioning her to her crate from the kiddie pool last night (they were about two feet apart), and she was just snoozing away with the pups. I thought 'ok.... uh... how do I do this?' and decided to just start moving babies... surely she would get up and move with them. Well I got them all moved over, including the ones that I had to pop off mom's nipples, she was still out cold. 'Uh, oh...' I thought... now what? I didn't want to frighten her by her waking up and all pups were gone, so I scooped one up to have ready to show her, brought him over, and called her... "Belly... Beeeeelly...." nothing. "BEEEELLYYYYY...." Nope, not even a budge. I tapped her, then I poked her a little, got a little worried, so I gently shook her, calling her name... nothing! Yipes! So I gave her a decent shake and said "BELLY. BELLY." and she snorts and opens her eyes, lifts her head, drool strung from her mouth to the blanket... lol  bear_wub She had completely passed out, exhausted from her long day!  I have NEVER seen a dog sleep that deeply!  bear_smile  So anyway, I showed her her pup and showed her where the rest were, and she happily hopped in her crate with babies... I was so sure she was going to wake up when I moved the first one... nope, she was out COLD!  bear_tongue

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Awwww... bear_wub  She has a right to be exhausted - That's a big litter of pups!

Now that they're starting life in a good home, I hope every one of them has a long, healthy life and loving humans to live with.  bear_flower

Thanks for the pics!

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Puppies are always cool!   bear_cool

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  Oh what a clever girl !! Awww they are so cute  bear_wub  bear_wub  How lovely.

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Awwwwwwww they are so gorgeous  bear_wub

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

How wonderful. I just adore dogs and puppy dogs just steal my heart. Your Bella looks like she is a wonderful mum, just look at those chubby babies she has.

My friend's dog had puppies a few days ago...her name is also Bella...here she is with her babies.

bella.jpg

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

What beautiful babies!

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

Ahhhhh.... well done!!! xxx
How are you going to part with them!

Ft. Bragg, NC

Awww Jane! Look! Two Bella momma's with puppies at the same time! What a coincidence... These puppies were born on the 25th, when is their birthday?

Poor runt did not make it...  bear_sad I was worried about him from the very start... but all of the rest of the pups are perfectly fine, wriggling, active little things. I think the remaining 8 will do just wonderfully. I am so sad for runt... He passed in my hands, Bella sat there the entire time with her chin on my arm, watching. I think she really knew. She didn't try to take him back, but she ignored all of the other pups for a bit and just sat there watching, then looking up at me, gently licking his little feet and nose from time to time. Anyone who says dogs don't have feelings or don't care... gosh, they are SO wrong. I am glad the rest of the pups are healthy.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Beautiful pictures. What a wonderful thing you did bringing home Bella. Now your family has grown by nine!! Are you going to find good homes for the wee ones? Will you keep any for yourself?   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Jane: your friend has a beautiful dog as well. Love the picture.... bear_wub  bear_wub

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Michelle, yes we are trying to work with rescue agencies to help get the puppies their vet care and place them in responsible homes. bear_original The shelter we rescued Bella from has very little resources and also doesn't have the advertisement that a big shelter would have to be able to find all of them good homes. So I am hoping that we can get a rescue group to help us! bear_original

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

That is a wonderful thing you did, Kimberly : taking Bella in, giving her love and comfort and warmth, so she could have her pups in the best possible circumstances  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb .

It still saddens me that runt didn't make it  bear_cry , but on the other hand, if she had stayed at the shelter, I shudder to think what would have happened to the pups  bear_sad

Well done, Bella & Kimberly  :clap:  bear_wub

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Ft. Bragg, NC

Thank you Peter bear_original I appreciate your kind words! You were asking on facebook... Runt is in the last photo, he is the smallest one, lying in front (you can see almost all of him), under her chin.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub WOW what a housefull, great pictures, each one cutier than the next. I love the one with the markings on the eyes.  Good luck with getting them adopted.  You did the right thing taking the mother, people usually take the pups so that should be ok.  my daughter did that also, rescued a mother and left the pups for adoption.  It worked out well.
You are a wonderful person, enjoy the babies.
hugs Pat bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania
BearBottoms wrote:

Poor runt did not make it...  bear_sad I was worried about him from the very start... but all of the rest of the pups are perfectly fine, wriggling, active little things. I think the remaining 8 will do just wonderfully. I am so sad for runt...

Sad...   bear_cry
But, unfortunately, fairly common.   bear_sad

When my dad bred dogs, there was usually one, sometimes two pups that did not survive. bear_sad
There was more than one occasion when the mother killed the runt and tried to bury it.

Out of all the times we had puppies, I only remember one time when the runt lived very long.  We even tube-fed that pup and kept it alive for a couple of weeks but, eventually, it was just too weak to live.

There was only one time I remember when all the pups lived long enough to be adopted.

It's not a very happy thing to happen but that's Mother Nature.

Board footer