Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

BellaPuppies17.jpgBellaPuppies16.jpgBellaPuppies15.jpgBellaPuppies14.jpgBellaPuppies13.jpgBellaPuppies12.jpgBellaPuppies11.jpgI couldn't help but to share a few more puppy pics from Bella! bear_original

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I love love love puppy photos.  Thanks for sharing them with us!!!  They are so adorable I don't know how you will be able to adopt them out when they are ready - I would keep them all!!!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I'm glad to see that the mother is letting you handle the puppies.  That way they'll be acclimated to humans better.  Pups that are used to human contact from a young age socialize better with humans when they are older.

Puppies that are born feral or born in pounds do not learn to socialize with humans well.  They are more skittish and hand shy.  Some "pound puppies" never fully get used to being around people.  Your puppies will have that advantage over those that don't have human contact.

Are there any young kids who can play with the puppies?  (When they are old enough, of course.)  Let some kids play with them... and let the puppies play with the kids.  When they are old enough to adopt they will be more salable or adoptable if you can say that they are acclimated to kids.

My dad used to let us kids play with his pups and we just thought he was being nice.  Of course, he was... but he was also crazy like a fox.  I never realized until I was older, what he meant when he told people, "Oh, yeah, they're good with kids."
bear_cool

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

They are so cute  bear_wub  I love their tiny ears, pinky pawpads, and their ickle noses awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  Keep these piccies coming, we love them!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

They're all so cute, I'm sure you'll have no bother finding them new homes

Ft. Bragg, NC
Us Bears wrote:

I'm glad to see that the mother is letting you handle the puppies.  That way they'll be acclimated to humans better.  Pups that are used to human contact from a young age socialize better with humans when they are older.

Puppies that are born feral or born in pounds do not learn to socialize with humans well.  They are more skittish and hand shy.  Some "pound puppies" never fully get used to being around people.  Your puppies will have that advantage over those that don't have human contact.

Are there any young kids who can play with the puppies?  (When they are old enough, of course.)  Let some kids play with them... and let the puppies play with the kids.  When they are old enough to adopt they will be more salable or adoptable if you can say that they are acclimated to kids.

My dad used to let us kids play with his pups and we just thought he was being nice.  Of course, he was... but he was also crazy like a fox.  I never realized until I was older, what he meant when he told people, "Oh, yeah, they're good with kids."
:cool:

Yes! bear_original We have three kids - 9, 6, and 3... and neighborhood kids who I know would be gentle with them. Right now they aren't allowed to pick them up, or reach inside her crate, and we only let them hold the puppies occasionally - if we are monitoring. But as they get older and start becoming mobile, the kids will be allowed to play with them! I'm sure momma will appreciate the break! lol I am really glad that Bella is so accepting of everyone; she doesn't even growl at visitors... but she definitely watches them like a hawk!!  bear_tongue

I will keep the photos coming! I love sharing them with you all! bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

awww....the pictures are too cute for words!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Such a lovely family!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  Thanks for sharing the pics.

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania
BearBottoms wrote:

Yes! bear_original We have three kids - 9, 6, and 3... and neighborhood kids who I know would be gentle with them.

It was all so many years ago but I still remember.

We weren't allowed to touch them very much at all until they opened their eyes.  Then we were allowed to pet them but not pick them up unless Dad was there.

When they started to walk, we got to pick them up and play with them just a little bit but we weren't really allowed to do much with them until they were able to get out of the puppy box by themselves and walk around.  Then we could play with them almost as much as we wanted.

We also got to feed them when they were old enough.  Teaching them to accept food from humans/kids at an early age is also important.

Ft. Bragg, NC
Us Bears wrote:

We also got to feed them when they were old enough.  Teaching them to accept food from humans/kids at an early age is also important.

Very good point! I hadn't thought about that, so I'll definitely keep that in mind as well. bear_original We've never had a dog that had food aggression - that's really important to me.

Your timeline was what I was planning on, as well... Limited handling and petting until they are up and running! bear_original

Board footer