Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi you all
I have a question for you bear designers. I want to make a bear that looks, not only well loved but, like if have been in the attic for a long, long time,  not in a shoe box  bear_original  but, on a "dusty " shelve. What do you used to make the fur look a bit "dirty" and stained ?
Thanks bear_flower
Gladys

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I took a class many years ago from an artist who did distress, old looking bears. I can't find my notes but here is what I remember:

1) Peril Grey acrylic paint makes the bear look dingy.
2) hold the bear as a child would. Where your hands cover the bear, pluck out the fur (ouchy!). This would be around the belly, arms and legs.
3) Under stuff the bear in the belly section. This makes it slump over.
4) I think she said she used, fabric paints, dyes, stencil, inks and wood stains to achieve the old look of the bear. I remember rubbing one or all of these things on my bear and it looks great especially on the pads. No fading or rubbing off on my clothes. It looks just as old as it did 10 years ago.  I'd post a picture of him but it is placed high up on a shelf that took a special ladder to get my things up there.
5) It has excelsior for the stuffing. It may have some pollyfill too...
6) She did not recommend running over the fur with a car or rubbing dirt on it. She did not want to pass on a "dirty" bear to her customers. The effects were achieved by the items listed above.

I wish I could remember the artist name.... Hope this helps.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Michelle
Thank you so much! I made one  and I did use some of the things she recommended. It is my first one and I can not wait to start another , in the right way!Picture_dowload_funny_sign_006.jpg This is a picture of "Teddyey's " paw, with some straw coming out of him. I am trying to post a picture of him but, I do not know why it does not work bear_wacko  I am going to see if it needs reducing and I will post it.
Thanks again for taking the time to give me so much good information bear_flower
Bear hugs.
Gladys

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Michelle
I am going to see if this time I can get a "full" picture of him.Picture_dowload_funny_sign_005.jpg WOW! I did it ! I am so very bad at doing pictures stuff!
Thanks again Michelle.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Gladys your teddy is adorable! He has the "old" and "distressed" look.  :clap:

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Your bears is adorable.  He does look like he was just taken out of the attic.

Joanne

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Michelle
Thanks! I am going to work a bit more on the pattern and I will use a different fabric.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Joanne
Thanks! It was my first and I use a fabric that I had handy but, for my next one I am going to get a more suitable fabric and I think I will make the body a bit wider.
Bear hugs.
Gladys

Board footer