Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Well we had to have 3 teeth pulled, poor sweety, 2 were loose and 1 had an infection........that is terrible for a 5 yr old dog, goes to show what happens when you don't take care of your dogs teeth, they will be great now, cause I will be brushing them everyday like I do Tiffs............ I have to pick him up @ 5:00 I can't wait, I hope he does not think I'm not coming back  bear_cry  She also removed 3 small cysts on his back, so he will have to wear little t shirts until the stitches are removed. Poor baby, I'm sure he will be in some pain, I feel so bad, that is why I wanted all of this done when they neutered him but the clinic the animal shelter uses, does not do any of this............. bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry
Glad it is over and we are on our way to a more healthy happy Mini Cooper...............she said the teeth cleaned up really NICE! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  I'm sure he will feel better, I know anytime I have had a bad tooth, makes you feel awful!

cooperaftersurgery.jpg
cooperteeth.jpg

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

Aww poor Cooper. Give him big hugs when he gets home, he willl appreciate it.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

aaaahh poor guy.  I hope he feels better soon.  He will be so happy to see you.

Joanne

MZemeski Posts: 151

Cooper has been through the mill so to speak! Happy days are ahead I'm sure! I know you will spoil him with loads of love!:hug: Hugs for Cooper!!:hug:

Hugs,
Melissa

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Just got home awhile ago and fed him some chicken  bear_grin  he is doing well, very sleepy ...hope we have a pain free night! :pray:
They sent him home with pain meds and antibiotics......Poor sweety, he was soooooooooo happy to see me!
Love my little mini Cooper, Tiff keeps trying to smell him.....he looks really cute, he has on a onesies to cover his stitches on his back  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

So sorry to hear about Cooper's bad day!  :cry:

However, I feel optimistic that he'll be better off for the wear.  It's not nice to have three rotten teeth, even for a dog.  :(
What's worse is that he can't tell you where it hurts.  I'm surprised that he tolerated you brushing his teeth like you said.  He should have winced when you touched the bad tooth.  I guess that means he trusts you quite a bit!  bear_cool

Surely the pain made him feel bad and the infection weighed his immune system down quite a bit.  It is good to have those nasty bacteria taken out of there.  What is he taking?  A ten day course of antibiotics?  If he keeps taking his pills the way the doctor orders he'll be back on his feet in just a few days.  It'll probably take a couple of weeks for his mouth to heal but, after that, it'll be like it never happened.

Which teeth did he lose?  Was it the back teeth?  Those are usually the ones to go first unless there are other problems.  As long as he's got his canines and his incisors he'll look all right and he'll eventually get used to "chewing around" the other missing teeth.

Our schnauzer had a couple of cysts on his belly.  We were told, as long as they don't get sore or grow any bigger, that it was okay to let them be.  But, if they get "touchy" or start to grow, they should be excised.  Tyrone never had any problems with them so we just left them alone.

Again...  In a couple of weeks, he'll be right as rain.

I wouldn't worry about feeling like you're abandoning the dog at the vet.  I think Cooper knows you're taking care of him.  I think that, when he starts to heal up in a few days, he'll be thanking you for being such a good human.  If he was abandoned before, it was probably extra nice for him when you came back.  It was probably a good learning experience for him to see you come back to get him.  Now he knows that not all humans are thoughtless.

Cooper should know that he's found a good home with humans to love him and take care of him!  bear_cool  :thumbsup:

1,000 Bears are pulling for Cooper!  bear_cool

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Us Bears wrote:

So sorry to hear about Cooper's bad day!  :cry:

1,000 Bears are pulling for Cooper!  :cool:

Thanks so much, yes they were back teeth!   The stitches on his back come out in 14 days, so I'm sure he will feel 100% by then  bear_thumb
Yes he is on meds for 10 days
I'm holding him in my lap right now  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If there are no complications, you can probably take the sutures out of his back, yourself.  Just use a pair of very sharp, pointed cuticle scissors.  Wash them in alcohol first.  Carefully snip the knots and pull the threads out with a pair of tweezers.  It's no more difficult than clipping a dog's toenails.  Matter of fact, I think it's easier.

But, if there is even the slightest hint of complication... redness, swelling, seepage, etc...  take him back to the vet.

One of Dad's hunting dogs got hung up in some barbed wire.  Had to have stitches in his shoulder.  It healed up just fine.
Dad had me hold Rex, the dog, down and pet him and keep him calm while Dad did the deed.  It took three minutes.  Rex didn't even wince.  I think he was glad to have those dumb things taken out and he didn't care who did it.

I have had to have stitches, myself, and I used what Dad taught me to take my own sutures out.  Twice in my hand and once on the bottom of my foot when I stepped on a broken bottle.  It doesn't hurt at all.  Kinda' tickles, actually.

It will save you having to pay yet another vet bill.  But, if there is any sign of trouble, don't skimp just to save a buck.

I bet Cooper is lying there, getting a scratch behind the ear, and he's thinking.  "HOME!"  bear_original

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

:hug:  Hugs for a swift recovery for Cooper. poor little man. At least he's in a good home now.

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

Oh sweet little Cooper - as he is lying there with his T-shirt he is sooooooooo cute, give him a big hug from Austria. this lovely little doggy still don't know, that he's got the best doggy-mom ever in the world, what a wonderful life he will expect!!!!!
bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

Aaww Tami - the poor little button!  I'm sure he'll be feeling 100% better by tomorrow, especially with a mouthful (less 3  bear_grin ) of sparkling pearly whites!!!!

What a great looking dog!

Hugs,
Marg  bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Awwww, poor little pumpkin, bless him such a lot to go through. He is so lucky to have such a caring mum in you Tami. He looks so cute, but really feeling sorry for himself in the picture. Give him a hug from me and Lucy and one for miss Tiffani too!

Hugs, Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Awww poor Cooper; I feel so sorry for him.  bear_cry   
I really hope and pray that all his health problems will be over now and that he can start to enjoy his new life !   :dance:   
I can't imagine him being in better hands though.  bear_smile

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Awww poor little guy. But the good news is that he will be healthier and happier... :hug:  bear_wub

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, poor wee guy, hope he's feeling much better now!

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Awwwww he looks so sorry for himself bless!!  He will soon be up and about like his old self again  .... he is very cute

Pauline

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Those new are pictures of Cooper's mouth?

Wow!  Cooper's teeth look worn!

The dog dentist seems to have done a good job cleaning up his mouth.    He's certainly going to be a lot healthier from now on but it looks like he was not taken care of very well before he went to the pound.  A five year old dog's mouth should not look like that.

I'm very glad you got Cooper out of that dog jail.  He is not the kind of dog that belongs there.  Schnauzers are not your average dog.  They're fairly expensive to adopt, even if they aren't pedigreed.  It's a damn shame that somebody would get a special dog like that and let him get so run down.

Then whoever it was who owned him went through all the trouble and expense to have the dog ID chipped yet they abandon the dog at the pound.

Something was not right.  I have a hard time believing that somebody could be so stupid to pay all that money to have a schnoz, spend all that money to have the dog chipped but take such shabby care of him and, finally, end up abandoning him at the pound.

Even though I'm no bleeding heart animal lover I still care about animals.  It bugs me quite a bit to see a wonderful dog like Cooper treated like that.

I'm really glad you took him in!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Ohh poor little guy.  But it is worth it to have healthy teeth.  He'll feel better real soon.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
Us Bears wrote:

I have a hard time believing that somebody could be so stupid to pay all that money to have a schnoz, spend all that money to have the dog chipped but take such shabby care of him and, finally, end up abandoning him at the pound.

Even though I'm no bleeding heart animal lover I still care about animals.  It bugs me quite a bit to see a wonderful dog like Cooper treated like that.

I'm really glad you took him in!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

I agree, but there are a lot of stupid heartless people out there, that is why there are so many unloved, abused , neglected animals left to die at shelters every day.
That is why I wanted to adopt a pup from a shelter....
bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Some dogs are house dogs who get pampered.  Some dogs are working dogs or hunters.  Every dog is different and every family is different, too.

But, regardless of the life a dog lives, they all need basic care.  Dogs are social, pack animals that live as part of a group.  They need to be part of a family, whether that be a dog family or a human family.

If you're going to have a dog, besides taking care of it, feeding it, cleaning up after it and making sure it is healthy, giving it a good home is an important responsibility.

I agree that it is good to get dogs from the shelter if you can but it's not always an option for everybody.  It doesn't matter where the dog comes from to me as long as its owners take care of it and give it a good home.

It p*sses me off when people don't do that!   bear_angry

Board footer