Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

To all the challenge seekers,

We're about a month away from our informal deadline. I have another bear on the way, and perhaps other bears are still "in the works"?

The Challenge Gallery: Bears have quietly made their way into the gallery, and wow! I see bears inspired by autumn, by summer, and in the case of Nataly Tools' collection - all four seasons!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  (Be sure to stop in and take a look.)

Becky

Fallenrose near Cologne

Well... actually I haven't even started with my bear, I thought about it this month, but with the Basic Bear Boot Camp, I had other things to do. Plus, I'm working on my mother's birthday present so I won't be able to even start before next month.... Hopefully, I'll have some ideas soon!

Hugs, Ariane

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi !
I have bear #3 in progress, and that looks like all I will be able to complete.
I am holding off posting the pics, because I want to pose them all together.
It has been a very fun project   bear_flower

Best Regards
Lee Ann

teeeej Brisbane

Hmm now that I have a tonne of competitions out of the way I think I might create something for this challenge. Going to grab my dyes this weekend and see what I can come up with.  bear_grin

---
Therese

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Paula Carter's wonderful "fall collection" is also in the gallery now. (Sweet, aged-looking souls.)

Becky

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  A round of applause for Lee Ann (2catkiss)! She's another bear-maker who managed to pay tribute to all four seasons, and the bears look fantastic together.  bear_flower 

I've got one more bear to add in the next few days. Anyone else?

teeeej Brisbane

I just need to sew on the ears of my little fella, then I can take a photo.

Fallenrose near Cologne

I have an idea now, but don't have the time to get it done in time..  bear_ermm  There's so much other things I've got to do until the 10th of october, I won't even get a bear done in this time...
Any possibility to expand the deadline?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Fallenrose wrote:

Any possibility to expand the deadline?

I think the deadline is pretty informal, Ariane. Maybe you could just post a message here when your bear makes it into the gallery? That way we'll know we should take a look.

Becky

Fallenrose near Cologne

That's a good thing, Becky, as I have the design in my head already and all materials nearby me - but unfortunately not enough time.....
I'll surely post a message here, when I'm done
Thanks for your help!  :hug:

Ariane

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Thank you Becky !  This was a very, fun project !  All the pics are wonderful !  Everyone has such creative ideas.

Kind Regards
Lee Ann bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Lee Ann wrote:

This was a very, fun project !  All the pics are wonderful !

I couldn't agree more!  :clap:  Thanks again to Emma Stephens for the original suggestion (which I sort of ran off with...)

My winter bear has now joined the gallery, and bears are still on their way from Australia and Germany, and... who knows? 

Becky

nealabear Teddy's Treasure Chest
Toronto

Hi Everyone:

Sorry it took me so long to get my pictures submitted but Jillian is finally finished.  I've been getting ready for a Show in November and I guess everyone here knows what that's like.  Jillian is dressed for all those Christmas parties in a winter white two piece dress done in satin and lace.  What else would a lady wear?  She is the first in a line I'm calling Dream Bears.  These bears will be wearing evening wear from all periods.  They can be dressed in styles from the 1700 and 1800's or styles from the 20th century.  Whatever I find that I think will look nice goes.  Some of the outfits will be crocheted (Paridise Patterns) some will be sewn all will be pretty.  Everything from flappers to princesses and any style including bridal wear.  She is 17" high and has hand painted eyes in a deep purple surrounded by long pretty dark lashes.  Her fur is mohair.  Her jewelry is done in shades of black, gold and amber beads.  She is wearing a pastel mink stole and yes ladies the mink is real.  She is designed to wear cloths and unlike other lady bears she has a smooth hipline so no bumps at the hipline to interfer with the way the dress hangs.  The bear and the outfit including the stole are all handmade which is what took so long to get her ready not to mention adjusting the pattern to fit her.  She is wearing an outfit based on the Hello Dolly Pattern Bewitching Moonlight.  I had to redesign the top of the pattern to accomodate the differences in the body style from Barbie doll to lady Bear.  I really wanted to do this outfit in red but couldn't find red lace anywhere that didn't cost two arms and a leg so I used lace and satin that I had on hand.  Hope you like her.  This is a prototype bear so any suggestions on changes to improve her would be appreciated.  Anyway she is listed in the challange gallery so everyone can see her. I put in two pictures so that she could be seen with and without her stole.

Neala

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Neala wrote:

Jillian is dressed for all those Christmas parties in a winter white two piece dress done in satin and lace.

Well-done, Neala. Her costume is fabulous, especially the stole.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Since you asked for feedback, I'm not sure if I like the long neck. Does that have to do with dress-ability?

Thanks for sharing Jillian,
Becky

Toronto

Hi Becky:

I'm not sure if the neck just a bit too long or if the head is a bit too small.  I wanted to be able to put tiered necklaces on these bears.  She is the first one and I think that if I make the neck slightly shorter and the head slightly bigger it will make all the difference. I'm not sure if the problem is with the neck or the head with this one.  If the head is a bit bigger then the neck won't look so long because the head will be more in proportion with the neck.  I'm going to try putting on a head that is slightly larger for the next one and see if that makes a difference.  If that doesn't take care of the problem then I'll shorten the neck on the following one.  What do you think?

Neala

Toronto

Hi Again:

I'm working on another one now and I made the head bigger by about 20%. Once I get her finished I'll post her as well.  I've found a pattern for a 1930's evening gown that is trimed in fur.  I'm making this one for the next bear and triming it in fox fur.  I have some red silk here and some red satin.  I'm just trying to decide which to use to make the outfit.  I'm triming it with silver fox which it very dark (charcoal to black) in color with silver (almost pewter in color)tipping on the guard hair.  I think the red will really set it off.  I have white alpacca here and I was thinking of making this dress for the white bear but am afraid to use the alpacca (considering what alpacca costs) until I have the pattern perfected.

Neala

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Neala wrote:

I've found a pattern for a 1930's evening gown that is trimed in fur.

bear_original  You definitely know your way around dressing a bear. This sounds fabulous!

I see what you mean about the head size. That makes sense. I can't wait to see the next bear!  :dance:

Becky

Toronto

Hi Becky:

Thanks for the input.  When you're working on something entirely new it helps to have someone to bounce ideas off.  I decided to shorten the neck slightly and narrow it in at the top slightly.  I think this is going to work with the larger head.  I think this will help give more definition between the neck and head which I think will solve the problem.  As for the clothes I guess it helps that I really became overweight when I was younger not that I enjoy being overweight but it forced me to make all my own clothes to make sure they didn't look like something that my grandmother would wear.  I got to be really good at combining pieces from different patterns to get the look I wanted.  Now I'm taking that experience to making clothes for my bears.  As they say every cloud has a silver lining. LOL

Neala

Toronto

Hi Becky:

I finally got around to adding some more bears to the challange page.  A June bride, a bear dressed for New Years and a bear dressed for spring.

Neala

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Neala wrote:

I finally got around to adding some more bears to the challenge page.

Cool! My favorite is the spring bear, but all of them are fab!

Becky

Board footer