Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

emmastephens Emma Stephens Crafty Creations
Gloucestershire

Hiya, I'm looking to do a bit of research & I was wondering if it would be possible for people to complete a few questions for me?
I think this will be useful for a lot of people, not just me, well, I hope anyway :P
If you'd prefer to remain anonymous & don't want people to see your answers, that's fine, please either email me at emma@emmastephens.net or pm me :)

Teddy Bear Market Profile Survey

Which age range do you fall into?
less than 20
20 - 30
31-50
51+

Which country are you from?
eg. scotland, usa, germany etc.

Are you...?
Employed
Self Employed
Unemployed
Other
If Other please specify....

Are you...? (please state all that are relevant)
A collector
An artist
A promoter
A dealer
Just interested in bears

If you're an artist or dealer, how many bears do you usually sell per year & how many have you sold in the last year (roughly speaking)?

If you're a collector, roughly how many bears (and other animals) do you buy each year?

If you collect artist bears, who are your favourite artists?

Has the recession affected the number of bears you've purchased in the last year or so?
yes/no - give details if you would like to

How much would you pay for a well made artist miniature bear? (change to own currency if neccessary eg. less than $30 [US])
less than £30
£30 - £50
£51 - £70
£71 - £90
more than £91

Thank you so much for taking part :)

Emma
xxx

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

less than 20
20 - 30
31-50
51+ here...older than dirt

eg. scotland, usa, germany etc. United States of America

Are you...?
Employed
Self Employed
Unemployed
Other
If Other please specify.... Wife, Mother and Grandmother

A collector
An artist... me too
A promoter
A dealer
Just interested in bears  that's me!

If you're an artist or dealer, how many bears do you usually sell per year & how many have you sold in the last year (roughly speaking)? Hummm, about six.

If you're a collector, roughly how many bears (and other animals) do you buy each year? 4 or 5

If you collect artist bears, who are your favourite artists? Lemonwolfbears

Has the recession affected the number of bears you've purchased in the last year or so? Yes, it is getting harder to put food on the table!

How much would you pay for a well made artist miniature bear? (change to own currency if neccessary eg. less than $30 [US])
less than £30
£30 - £50  depends on the bear and the artist!
£51 - £70
£71 - £90
more than £91

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I am a 68 year old female, from the USA, employed full time.
I am a collector and a bear creator, not an artist  like some of the fabulous ones.  But I do make bears mainly for craft shows and family. I think a good bear, mohair is worth at least 125.00.  I have charged much less for bears that are not as adequit as I would like.  As for my purchasing an artist bear, I would pay up to 350.00 if it was what I wanted.  But I only have a few good artist bears, someday I will have more.
Times are hard right now, that is why I still work full time to pay for my house.  But as soon as it is sold, I will finally retire and enjoy making bears a lot more.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

31-50

female

usa

Are you...?
Self Employed (I'm a freelance writer.)

Are you...?
A collector; An artist

If you're an artist or dealer, how many bears do you usually sell per year & how many have you sold in the last year (roughly speaking)?
14 or 15 in the last year

If you're a collector, roughly how many bears (and other animals) do you buy each year?
at least a dozen

mujibears, raggy rat, rasa kaper, sue jennings

Has the recession affected the number of bears you've purchased in the last year or so?
absolutely! (I had to leave the Chicagoland show without s single bear after paying for gas, lunch, etc. bear_cry )

How much would you pay for a well made artist miniature bear?
I don't usually buy minis, but I'd pay up to US $125 or so.

Becky

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

31-50

scotland

Are you...?
Employed

A collector
An artist

Well I'm at 4 right now, but have a fair in a couple of weeks that I've been holding everything back for.  As this is my first year selling, I can't really give you a better view, sorry!

4 or 5

Whichever one makes a bear I fall in love with  bear_grin

not at the moment as my job has, thankfully, not changed

well it depends on the detail and accessories, but assuming a 'fully loaded' bear  bear_laugh
more than £91

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

31-50

UK

Are you...?
Employed part-time & mum

A collector
A hobby bear maker

3 - 4

Tough one, there are plenty I love but can't afford.  Some of the bears in my hug are A Bear by Kim, Kessey Bears, Valewood Bears, Maws Paws, Madabout bears - in other words fluffy bears  bear_grin

Yes, actually went to a fair and did not buy one bear - horror!!!!  bear_shocked   

How much would you pay for a well made artist miniature bear?

I have miniature bears by Joxy and Hoblins which were between £45-55 each.  My daughter has two of Pauline (Valewood Bears) anime bears.  I would say £55 would be my limit.  However if money was no object and the bear was worth it, perhaps £80-90.

sandlalouer Luxembourg

31-50

France

Are you...?
Employed

A collector

If you're a collector, roughly how many bears (and other animals) do you buy each year? 10-15 as an average ...

If you collect artist bears, who are your favourite artists? so many!!!! Deb Beardsley Elertson is one of the first artists I fallen in love with her funny critters!!

yes, but now back to normal

more than £91

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

51+

Canada

Are you...?
Self Employed

An occassional collector
An artist

I make 30-35 bears a year

just one or two

Forget-Me-Not bears, because their bears look like antiques, and other artists with a vintage style

yes - we help our daughter with expenses for our grandson - she is a single mum

more than £91

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

20-30

UK

Are you...?
Long term ill :(

A collector.

N/A

Up to 6 but I buy Charlie Bears too which aren't as expensive.  It would be more but I'm also a doll collector.

Hugs Unlimited, Joxy Bears, Desert Mountain Bears (Though yet to won one), Dusty Attic Bears (Am yet to own one of these too), Jac-q-lyn Bears, KJ Lyons (Yet to own one).

Not really as have only been collecting for a couple of years and have to save up for the ones I want anyway.

I've paid £89 for one but I'd probably not pay more than £100 unless it was really special.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

31-50 (I'm 42.)

I'm from the United States.

Are you...?
Employed

A collector
An artist

I just came back to making my bears after a period of hibernation. This year, I've sold three bears, and I'm working toward the online show in November. Because I work full-time, I don't make many bears per year; they're rare bears.  bear_smile

I have a small collection of antique bears (though no early Steiffs) and some artist bears, but I haven't bought any bears in probably 9 or 10 years.

I have so many favorites, mostly those who create traditionally styled bears, like Mary George and Vicky Allum--but there are more than just these two. How could I list them all? bear_flower

No, it really hasn't because I haven't bought a bear in a long time due to relatively tight finances. We adopted two teenage girls from Ukraine last year, too, and that whole process took soooo much money...and now we are expending more money than previously. Someday I hope to adopt some bears by artists I admire!

£71 - £90
I think around US$125, but it would depend on the bear, of course. I don't really collect miniatures, but I love those by Dawn Jellis-Jones (The Old Post Office Bears) and Esther Pepper (Aerlinn Bears)--and others, too, but I can't list them all here, LOL!

Sherroy Sarchie
Tasmania

less than 20
20 - 30 = 23
31-50
51+

Which country are you from? = Australia

Are you...?
Employed = full time receptionist
Self Employed
Unemployed
Other

A collector = yes
An artist  = yes - starting out
A promoter
A dealer
Just interested in bears

If you're an artist or dealer, how many bears do you usually sell per year & how many have you sold in the last year (roughly speaking)? Just starting out.

I'm yet to start my collection but these are the ones I'm ver interested in Jenny loves benny, benson bears, Kj Lyons and many more...

yes/no - give details if you would like to = YES, to many bills not enough spare monies for luxury items.

less than £30
£30 - £50
£51 - £70
£71 - £90
more than £91
depends on quality and uniqueness so all of the above  bear_smile

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

51+

Australia

Are you...?
Other
If Other please specify....Lady of leisure

An artist

This year I reckon I've sold about 10 bears and as for other years can't really put a figure on it as it varies.

If you collect artist bears, who are your favourite artists? Too many to name

Has the recession affected the number of bears you've purchased in the last year or so? No because I buy very few

£51 - £70

Board footer