Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Amy Lilley Posts: 32

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a really chubby baby bear? I tried making a short nose and rounded gusset, but she came out a little flat-faced :-S I'd like chubby limbs and a chubby belly too. Does anyone have any tips?
Amy :-)

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

You could always try a longer pile fur!

Thank you so much for your reply Clare :-)
I have tried using a longer fur, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It doesnt seem to make them chubby, but fuzzy. I'd like to know how to alter my patterns to achieve that chubby baby bear look. Does anyone have any tips?

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Try investigating darts for rounding pieces out

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Yes, I agree with Katie. To add girth your best bet is to play around with darts or attempt a 4 piece body. I also really think it helps to have a flatter chest area and to bring the belly out, creates a natural look. Also try looking at chubby cubs and how they're arms are on proportion to the body together with head size.

Hope this helps a little and good luck.
Richard
x

susana fung hong kong

if you start with short pile or sparse mohair, consider to make bent legs design ( add darts to the inner leg side seam) as most baby post in this way.

i also find that the material and amount you choose for stuffing are influential to the body posture, plastic beads are my favorite choice on chubby bears  bear_original

hope this helps
susana

Thanks guys, that's great advice! I think you're right about adding darts. I have only done this once before (to add roundness to the belly of a dragon I made). I'm not entirely sure how to use them. How do I know where to place them? Do you have/ know of any diagrams I can see as an example?

I've also never attempted a 4-piece head. How do I do this and what benefit does it have?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help and look forward to hearing from you again and hopefully learning more about these techniques :-)
Amy xxx

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I add darts when making the head and the body.  I use a 2 piece body, I make it more narrow at the neck and wide at the bottom,  I use darts at the bottom.  I dart slightly back from where the legs sit.  Then I joint just in front of the dart.  The dart ends just about at the top of where the legs would be when the bear is standing.  It will give you a fuller looking middle.  I also dart the head on either side of the side pieces at the bottom.  I dart the top of the head after the bear is sewed to round the top.  It is about where the ears sit.  I open that dart up after stitching and pull the fur through so that it does not clump on the head of the bear.  Make sense?

Joanne

Thank you Joanne, that is great advice! I totally get what you are saying about the body but am still a little confused about the head. Could you explain this to me a little more (sorry-newbie!)? Do you have/ know where I can find some diagrams/ examples of adding darts to the head?
Amy xx

desertmountainbear wrote:

I add darts when making the head and the body.  I use a 2 piece body, I make it more narrow at the neck and wide at the bottom,  I use darts at the bottom.  I dart slightly back from where the legs sit.  Then I joint just in front of the dart.  The dart ends just about at the top of where the legs would be when the bear is standing.  It will give you a fuller looking middle.  I also dart the head on either side of the side pieces at the bottom.  I dart the top of the head after the bear is sewed to round the top.  It is about where the ears sit.  I open that dart up after stitching and pull the fur through so that it does not clump on the head of the bear.  Make sense?

Joanne

... In continuation of my last message: When you dart the head do you dart along the seams/ parts you sew, or cut into the side if the head? Are the darts a triangle shape? Whereabouts along the bottom if the head do you dart?
Thanks so much for the amazing advice! It's slowly starting to make sense :-)

Bloomsburg, PA

The bottom darts are triangular shape cut into the fabric before sewing.  They are on either side of the head at the bottom in the cheek region. The top darts are not.  I am sewing up a bear tomorrow.  I will take pictures of this dart I use and show you.

I will say that the easiest way to learn where to dart is to look at a bear you have made.  Pinch the areas that you want shape.  You will see right where to put your darts.

Joanne

desertmountainbear wrote:

The bottom darts are triangular shape cut into the fabric before sewing.  They are on either side of the head at the bottom in the cheek region. The top darts are not.  I am sewing up a bear tomorrow.  I will take pictures of this dart I use and show you.

I will say that the easiest way to learn where to dart is to look at a bear you have made.  Pinch the areas that you want shape.  You will see right where to put your darts.

Joanne

Thank you so much! I can't wait to see your pic, I'm sure I will understand perfectly then :-) xx

Bloomsburg, PA

darts-005-200x150.jpgdarts-004-200x150.jpgdarts-002-200x150.jpgdarts-001-200x150.jpgJust let me say as always this is my way, it is probably not the "right way"  It is the way that works for me.

Picture #1  side view of bottom head dart.  You can see how it pushes out the cheek

2  To find where I want the top dart I pull the head out from the cheeks and push the back of the head into the front.  this is a picture of the back of the head pushed in.  You will see corners.  That is what I want to get rid of to round the head.  Baby bears have a rounder head.

3  I open up the seams and pin everything in place making sure that the darts are even across the top of the fabric.  I then draw where I want to sew. They are not straight but rounded.  You can see how this will round the head.

4  After they are sewed I open the dart up and use a needle to pull all the fur out from the dart.  Because it is not cut and trimmed before there will be clumps of fur you need to get out.

I hope this helps.

Joanne

One more thing about this.  When drawing the head pattern I do compensate for the fabric that is being pulled into the dart by drawing the head a little longer through the top.

Thanks so much, that makes much more sense! Would it work if I added the dart to the top of the head before sewing?
Amy :-)

Bloomsburg, PA

I think that is probably the way most would do it, and I have tried it that way too.  The dart needs to be added to the gusset and the side pieces.

Joanne

I tried the darts and it worked really well :-) I used a four piece body too :-) when I upload my pics I will show you the chubby baby bunny I made xx

Bloomsburg, PA

Very good,  I would love to see.

Joanne

Board footer