Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Hi everybody.  I'm trying to figure out ways to bring in extra income.  I crochet blankets and scarfs but these don't seem to go anywhere on ebay.  Am I out of luck?  If I just sold them custom order without ebay what is a fair price to ask?  I can even make teddy bear size or as a bedspread.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Jenn, would Etsy be a viable option for you?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Crocheted blankets and scarves are everywhere as a lot of people are crocheting/knitting and making their own or trying to sell. Be sure yours stand out in quality, yarns used, patterns, detail etc. to have a better chance at selling. In order to offer custom made items you've got to have a plan as to how you're going to market them/spread the word. As for pricing... that depends on what you're using for yarn, how intricate the pattern, size, etc. Like with anything hand made.... supply vs. demand as well as quality and popularity all factor into pricing. Sorry I can't give a specific pricing structure. Bear artists ask the same question. There is no straight answer.
bear_rolleyes

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Daphne's right, you have to make your work grab everyone's attention!  I've noticed that animal caps are really in right now, the cute ones with the bear ears, etc.  And, it's not just kids wearing them!  How about scarves along the same line?  I've not seen anything like that around here.  And, if you want year round income, you'll have to think of other things to make, scarves and blankets are usually only purchased in the winter time.  Definitely try ETSY!

Hugs,
Alison

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have a friend, actually a couple that are selling well.  They post their stuff on their FB page.  They started getting orders from FB friends.  They both have all that can keep them busy.  They mostly sell hats and scarfs, some ponchos.  I think they are selling scarfs, thin scarfs, for $15.00.  Hats I am unsure, probably about $10.00.  They both sell lots of kids sets. They started with just posting lots of pictures of finished stuff.  Then they asked if anybody would like to order any.  They really do well.  Facebook may be the place to start.

Joanne

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

The animal hats that Alison is mentioning have been very popular for both last winter and this one with adult women in the UK.  One of the high street shops sold panda type ones, but if you could do a whole range of animals I bet they'd be popular

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

You know, teaching may be a source of income for you. Go to your local community center and see if you can teach classes. In my community, they have all kinds of classes for a reasonable price (painting, drawing, and sculpting. I believe there is a beginners knitting class..). So consider giving knitting and crocheting classes. You could even go to a local quilting shop, craft stores like Michaels or Joanneā€™s and make arrangements to give classes. I don't know what the percentage could be but offer 30-40% of the proceeds?

Just some thoughts....

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Michelle is right, have you thought of teaching "how to crochet" even doing a online class over the internet, those seem to be really popular because people can take the class at their convenience.......  I would love to learn how to crochet...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I agree, when my daughter was little I taught a knitting and a crochet class at Michaels.  It was once a week in the evening.  This was years ago, but I got paid all the money for the class.  People spent money there buying supplies, so I was just their incentive I guess. 

Joanne

Board footer