Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

I have been invited to be part of a Teddy Bear signing event at a bear shop.  It will be my first time at something like that.

Up to this point I have always used a permanent marker to sign my logo on one of the paws of my bears.  Now I am thinking that I would like to sign my name and possibly number each bear consecutively.

What kind of pen do you all use?  And what do you write? 
Also, some of my bears don't have an area on the paw where they can be signed.  Can I sew a bit of fabric over the paw and sign that?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I only have one bear from another artist that has the paw signed.. I dont like paws signed.... You will never catch me signing my bears, ever... i see it as like teddy graffiti! LOL  If you feel the same way, maybe do like a tag on back sewn in and sign that???  if you really want to sign the paws go ahead, this is just my opinion bear_original  :hug:

BY THE WAY, CONGRATS!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have no advice, just make sure you use a permanite marker, obviously.
I think if the customer is there they can decide if they want the paw signed. I imagine that if they're going out of their way to get it signed, they won't mind seeing the signature on a paw.

But I want to congradulate you. that is a very cool honor.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

First off.... Hi and welcome to the board Marie!

Second.... A great big congratulations to have been asked to present your bears at a signing event!  How exciting, and what a huge compliment to you and your furry friends!  I'd be ticked pink! 

Third... I don't sign my bears as a matter of course either, but will always do so when asked... that is, if there is an available place to sign them!  My bears are so small there generally isn't room, and often my foot pads are made of micro pile upholstery velvet, which won't really "take" a signature.  I take it as a huge compliment when I am asked to do so though!  If it makes my bear that much more special, or meaningful, or personally valuable to a customer to have it signed, then my all means, I'm signing away!  I generally use a Pigma Micron.  It's a micro pigmented archival quality ink...  acid free, waterproof, they dry FAST, don't smear, light fast, don't "bleed" even if exposed fresh to an alcohol solvent-type stuff like FreyCheck... Lovely pens they are!  I use a black or brown size 02, which is actually a .3mm line width.  they come a bit wider or more narrow as well though.  You can find them at most scrapbooking supply places, or in the scrapbook isle of a good sized craft shop.  JoAnne fabrics also carries them, though I've found that they are a little more expensive there.  I use them for tracing my patterns out onto most of the fabrics I use as well. 

If there isn't an appropriate area to sign... HMMMM.  I can't think of a super perfect solution.  Anyone?  You could however, tell your customer that you'd be happy to personally sign the hang tag (if it isn't laminated) or something like that? HMMMM....

Congratulations again!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

How exciting Marire.  Congrats!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I agree with the other comments here.  I would not sign a paw pad either.  What I do is sew in a leather or ultra suede tag on the bears hind side and sign it with a micro fine permanent marker. You can buy these at any craft store or even many drug store that sell office/school supplies have them.  I also sign the hang tag and date it.  I would not use a Sharpe brand as I beleive they can bleed or turn purple over time.

Best of luck and please let us know how it truns out for you! bear_wub  bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You all said what I was thinking as I read Marie's post.

Marie, Congrats!!!
I have seen a few artists who do sign the foot pads... it's certainly personal choice. For me it's distracting and my eyes are drawn to the black ink on the foot... not the expression on the face! Definately use a Micron pen no matter what you sign. Many fabric stores or quilt shops have them or you can find them online.

Best wishes, Daphne

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

Thanks all.  I am very excited about the event!

You have given me some good things to think about.  I always thought that everyone signed their bears.  Maybe I will just leave it up to the individual person whether they would like the bear signed or the hangtag.

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I don't have much advice to offer as it's already been said! A huge CONGRATS though! Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Hudson, Ohio

I think that's a good idea Marie.... there are collectors who like it and ones who don't. 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

bearshow2.jpg
The bear show/ signing event was wonderful!  I am trying to post a picture of me with my bears; I hope it works! 

It was at the "Rocking Horse Gallery."  There were nine artists besides me (the only newbie): Sharon Anderson, Martha Burch, Dorothea Butts, Brian Hughes, Marcy McPike, Diana Lee Palomba, Wendy Robinson, Candi Taylor and Beverly White. They were all great fun to talk with and very gracious, freely sharing tips and ideas with me and each other.  Not to mention wonderful artists;  what a treat to see all of their incredible teddy bears!  I left encouraged and inspired.  The owner of the gallery is a very kind lady  and I feel very blessed and privileged to have been given this opportunity. 

I sold one bear.  The collector who bought her asked me to sign the paw, which I did.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!  And congratulations to you.

Congratulations, too, on being placed beside so many well known and fabulously talented bear artists; what a treat that must have been.  I'm green with envy!

Well done!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

:clap:
Marie, congrats! So glad you did well!!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Julia

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Marie, many congratulations on this venture!!  Yes, you were among some of the best artists around today . . . you lucky girl!!  And you did very well yourself - that's awesome!!  You are very pretty as are your bears - way to go!  :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

Densteds Densteds
Website

wow!!!!!! Marie, your bears are adorable, congratulations... bear_thumb  bear_thumb

hugs,
Denise.

Hudson, Ohio

Marie!!!!! What a lovely picture of you with your bears!  WOW... you really were with an outstanding collection of artists... how wonderful to be considered for such a grouping!  Congratulations again !!!! I bet it was so much fun, and well worth it, even if you hadn't even sold a bear!  YEA!!!! that you did though!  You and your bears look so warm and friendly!     :hug:

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Wow! love your bears!  Especially your avatar bear!  Congrats again!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

So glad you had a wonderful time, Marie. Thanks for sharing the pic with us, very lovely bears! I just love the bear in your avatar. What a sweet little doll she is! Congrats on the sale, too!

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Marie
Congratulations - what a wonderful experience for you.  I'm glad you posted a picture.  Your bears are beautiful.  It is easy to see why you were asking to participate.

Sandi

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

This is awesome, Marie!  What a great opportunity and experience for you! Congratulations!!   :clap:
Thanks for sharing and posting the picture. Your bears beautiful.  bear_wub
Maybe this will open even more doors for you.  bear_thumb

Bonnie

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Marie,
Congrats!
I know all of those names and they have been around for years.
Martha, Diana, Candi, and Bev are all great gals. I know the others, but I can't remember if I have meet them.

As for signing your bears...
This is what we do. We sign, date, and write our company name on a small piece of leather and then place that in the body's back seam near the tush. Hench the name tush tag. We were discussing the whole tush tag/signing issue in another thread.
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=1161
I hope that works. If not I'll figure something else out.
Hugs,
Jared

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Marie ! 
Thank you for posting lovely phot of you and your bear, what a adorable bear you make !!!   bear_wub   
Many congratulations  to you.  :hug: 

Hugs/Other Marie

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

Thanks for all the congrats! You all are wonderfully supportive!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Marie i just saw this post as i havent been online much recently  ( holiday rush!!)  first congratulations!!  and you're right about the other artists being fun and generous! your picture was wonderful..nice looking display!  Rocking Horse Gallery wow!  good for you!  way  to go!

Sandy nice avatar!!

i've often wondered about signing or not signing..usually do if they ask..i have been using a permanent marker,,,sounds like i may switch to the archival tho!!

happy holidays everybody! we did add some prices to the sitemmnot all th e artists have but several of them did!

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

P.S.    sorry that last line should have said.."we did add some prices to the site..not all.. but some of the artists  have""

i swear my brain and fingers get stupid late in the day!..i look up after i hit send and see complete gibberish go by!!   :sheepish :):):

deb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

1st Marie, let me welcome you to the board.....late as usual, but with a warm heart none the less.

Secondly what a beautiful picture, you are beautiful as are your bears.  I am very happy for you and for your success....That is simply great!

hugs

dilu

you already know our #1 rule.......

Board footer