Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi all,

I've had a peak in the library but can't find the help that I need.

I have a lovely Red Panda pattern by Durrer Bears (La Rousse) - http://www.durrerbears.com/catalog.php? … category=4
and have been fighting to make this bear for a long time! The tail rings I dyed prior to sewing with coffee (if you sniff it you can still smell the coffee!).

I had real issues turning the fingers and my poor panda is on his second set of hands and feet (plus one more I wrecked in the process). I started him well over a year ago and gave up but have recently decided my skills are much better.

I have made mine out of a gorgoeus red brown mohair with a slight metallic sheen to it (it's really hard to find a red brown mohair!).

The problem I now have is the face. The head is a 3 part design with an inset white face. The idea is to colour the face to match the red brown leaving a white muzzle and white eyebrows.

I have decided to try COPIC to colour and have purchased some colours that I hope will give me what I want (a red and two browns)  bear_ermm  I do have a COPIC airbrush (not very experienced in it though) and like the softened effect I tend to get from it. Any ideas how I can mask off the areas that I need to keep white? or would you just stick to hand shading?

Again, it will be a challenge but I want to finish him. The poor guy has his limbs jointed to an empty body and his head is just loose behind my sofa, eyeless and ear less!!

I really hope I can do a good job on him 'cos I always wanted to make a Red Panda - I just bit off a little more than I can cope with!

Thanks for listening!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I think I would use scotch tape to tape off where you don't want the copic markers to cover.  You can also use your hand to prevent the color from going onto the fabric.  I think I would cut out the tail and spray it flat before you sew it.  You could also cover the tail flat with another fabric or paper to prevent overspray.  You can practice on some scraps first if you are nervous.
Good Luck,
Donna

teeeej Brisbane

larouuse2.JPGlarousse.jpgHi Jaina! Silvia doesn't use the copic airbrush system. She gets the copic marker refils and pours a little into a small container. She then uses a paint brush to apply the copic marker paint. She uses a bit of Isocol if the paint drys in the container. I actually got to do this little fella as a workshop.

Here's a few photos of the ones I have made... The top two are hand painted. The bottom is airbrushed. I didn't use any marking tape.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thank you!

That is so helpful  bear_happy 

She does explain the technique in the instructions, but as I am down to one copic pen, There was not much point in buying the refills to use the same technique as I may as well buy the pens to use at a later date; I just happen to have the airbrush and compresser as I bought it cheap second hand off ebay.

its so useful to see someone who has done one, especially using a couple of different techniques! I do love yours!!

Thanks too to Donna. it's the face I am having issues with rather than the tail - but the advice works well either way. I am just hoping the pens I have bought will match up the red!

I have some scraps left of the white so I guess it'll just be an experiment.!

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Here he is at the moment....

P1310499.jpg

teeeej Brisbane

Yeah make sure you experiment with your colours before you start. I had a few problems matching my colours on the head when I airbrushed it.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
Jaina wrote:

Hi all,

I have made mine out of a gorgoeus red brown mohair with a slight metallic sheen to it (it's really hard to find a red brown mohair!).

Thanks for listening!

Hi Jaina,
I know nothing about copic markers so I can't help you there, but most of my bears seem to be brown.  I use RIT dye, I order online.  They have a formula guide with over 500 different shades, so you can dye your white mohair any shade you choose.  I have had very good results.
http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

ps. your panda looks great, love the tail.

Joanne

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Not sure if you know that you can buy empty copic pens and mix the colors from the refills to get the exact color you need. 
Donna

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thanks for the tips Joanne and Donna   bear_thumb

I will be sure to post him up when he's done. I do love Red Pandas so much.

Board footer