Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Zagzagael Posts: 43

The more bears I craft the more I'm beginning to find my own technique and my own "way" into this wonderful craft!

Here's something I realized last night and I'm wondering if the more experienced bear artisans know of serious problems which could be encountered by this approach.  bear_sad

I'm thinking of finishing the critters completely and then working on the face/eyes/nose/ears. I was trying to set eyes and ears and embroider noses when at the "just a head" stage....but was finding it really disconcerting and discouraging. Inevitably, once the head was fastened to the body I found myself still tweaking the face. bear_sad So, last night I put the entire bear together and I just fell in love with his blankness and began working on his face and ears with a much more upbeat feeling.

Is this a "legitimate" approach to bear-making?  bear_tongue Or am I going to find myself with a worktable filled with faceless mohair creatures????

Fallenrose near Cologne

Well, there isn't a "right" or a "wrong" way - you can do however you want to! And if this works for you - why not?^^

I Prefer to finish the head before I put it onto a body but that's jsut my way of doing it^^

Hugs, Ariane

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree with Ariane. There's no right way.

Personally, I do the ears and facial features once the bear is completely assembled. It just works better for me.

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I work both ways.  When I felt the face I do the whole face last after everything else.  When I am embroidering the nose I do the whole face first.  I have found that if it is not attached to the body I can move the stuffing around if I need to in the nose area as I am working.
But either way is right.
I actually think that there is no right or wrong way to do anything.  This is your creation, and whatever means it takes to get to the end.  If the end is good and you are happy who is to say you did it wrong.

Have fun experimenting and finding your way,
Joanne

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I ahve always worked this way.  It's something about bringing them to life adn my own impatience

Zagzagael Posts: 43

Thanks! It's not that I think there is a "right or wrong" way but I would want to know if something terrible is going to occur if I do it in this fashion. ;)

Clarebear wrote:

I ahve always worked this way.  It's something about bringing them to life adn my own impatience

This is it EXACTLY!!!!!  bear_smile

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

No right or wrong way, I just do my whole head first so all my thread ends etc are all hidden round the joint area  bear_original

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I have done both; but like Katy I mostly work before the head is attached as I find it much easier to hide my threads right by the joint.

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I usually stuff the head and attach it to the body but do not stuff the body at that point.  That is, I joint the body parts (using the set screw or Arizona jointing method) and attach the unstuffed body to the stuffed head.  Having the unstuffed body attached to the stuffed head sort of gives one something to hang onto when finishing the face and ear placement.  There are many patterns of assembling and stuffing bears, and no one way is more correct than another way.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I do it just like you do.
I tried doing the head, off body.  But it just didn't feel right, mentally.  As you said, it was disconcerting.
My bears have to speak to me, and the sooner the better.  Putting them all together does this for me.  Mouth or no mouth this is when they start speaking to me.
:hug:

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Plum Cottage  high there what is the arazona screw method never hard of it
GHave a great one Paula

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_noexpression Me either!

I always do my body and limbs first then the head.  I do not like to see a headless bear...freeky!  Also, I want to see the whole when I am working.  One thing I do before attaching the head is the embroidery for the nose.  Easier for me to flip around that way...

jissy Posts: 70

I am brandy new at this... my first bear to be exact! I did get to AC Moore and bought some animal eyes small, large and medium. I have the body,head and muzzle in place. I put the eyes on the face and asked dd6 what she liked. Naturally she liked the very large eyes and said it made a softer tough to the bear that "isn't here yet". I said ok but what about the rest? I will quote my dd6.... "mama why don't you wait till she is finished and then see what she says she wants?"

So that is what I am going to do!

Board footer