Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

874TY-5.jpgHello fellow TTer's!  I tried looking in the library, but only found a fraction of the information I'm looking for. I want to dye some mohair different colours with a varigated or mottled look. I've included a picture of the effect I'm looking for, as pictures are easier to follow than my rambling explanations, lol. If anyone has done this before, please let me in on the secret!  bear_grin  bear_thumb   Thanks much!

Shannon  bear_happy

P.S. I got the pic off of Intercal for reference, in case anyone recognized it  bear_tongue

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Could that be one of Paula Carter's bears?

I believe the fur is tie-died. I've never done it myself, however.

Becky

Ottawa, Ontario

Yes, it's one of Paula Carter's bears, Intercal uses it's picture for a reference guide for the mohair colour, I just borrowed it  bear_tongue   It' doesn't look especially tie-dyed to me, mind you I'm thinking of those crazy hippy shirts from the 60's when I think of tie-dying, so I may be confused  bear_whistle

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You can wet the mohair and tie it just like you would the tie dyed t-shirt then dip it in the different colored dye.  Another treatment would be to place the colors of dye on the fabric where you want them.  I would let the fabric and dye dry before I rinse the dye out of the fabric.  Another treatment to try is to lay out the fabric and sprinkle it with the dry powder dye.  You can do it to either dry fabric and then spray the fabric with water or dampen the fabric first.  You will get some interesting fabric this way.  Another way that I liked was to take a sponge with the dye on it and just pat the fabric where you want the dye.   Take a piece of less expensive fabric or some scraps and just play.  You do not need to use white fabric, sometimes you get some interesting colors.  You can also dye a tipped mohair knowing that the tips will dye differently from the base color.  Just play and have fun.  If you will want to try to reproduce what you have done you will need to take notes along the way. 
Donna

Ottawa, Ontario

I'll give it a whirl Donna, thanks for the tips and advice!  bear_thumb  bear_grin

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Hi Shannon,
You know what? It is no secret at all!!! I think you will like the RIT website, especially this page:  http://www.ritdye.com/dyeing-techniques … -immersion  because I think this is the way this mohair was dyed. I know it is usually sold as 'batique' mohair (which it isn't as batique dyeing is done differently  bear_rolleyes ) but I know from someone who is an expert at dyeing mohair that this method really works to get the effect you want  bear_original
As you will see the page contains detailed instructions.

BTW: the 'sponge' technique Donna told about can be used particularly when you want to have your mohair 'tipped'  bear_original with a darker shade or contrasting colour.

:hug: from Holland,
Marianne

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hi Ladies Afriend is bringing me KoolAid please can you assist as to how dye works hot or cold water  how much powder can you use powder dry to just tip fabric do you wash faric after you have dyed do have to use the whute string fabric or can you dye coloured fabric  oh lots of  questins im new to the game  so you old hand will have to help me  thanks thanks Paula

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Paula.  There are several threads about KoolAid dying in our library.  Click on the "Dyes and Colorants" topic and you will find the KoolAid subjects.

durban

hi Sue Ann ill do that forgot re threads port hava great teddy hugs day Paula

durban

Hello Sue Anne hate to be a pest i cannot find a threadthat gives me all the inscructins from start to finish on dying with cool please help can t afford to botch up my mohair thankyou Paula

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Hi Paula,

You could try this link:

http://members.peak.org/~Spark/dyeingfelt.html

or:  http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolai … howto.html

and like  Sue Ann said, there's loads of posts about KoolAid dyeing in the TT Library.
It just takes some time and patience to find what your want for your use  bear_original

Good luck!

TerryQui Posts: 14

I have use Pigment ink for dying. I dry brush is on. By that I mean, the ink is diluted in water, but the brush is not very wet. Then you can put color anywhere you want.
I heat set it after to set the color.

Board footer