Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hello everyone
I think alot of us on TT are animal lovers....so I thought I would share this true story as a reminder that pet proofing our homes is as important as "child" proofing...  bear_thumb

When we arrive home each day after work, there is normally a trio of kitties waiting at the door, to gently "guide" us to the kitchen where we may prepare their dinner  :crackup:

Yesterday, when I got home, only one kitty was around and was following me with great caution. There was a shopping bag upside down in the living room, a bit torn.  I thought immediately my hubby had thrown it down after an upset....but he said "No,  I left it so you could see....it looks like they really had fun playing today".  He went on to explain he had found papers strewn about in his office, all over the floor, rugs pushed up against the wall, and kitties' water dish had been upset/spilled.

I went on about my chores, but realized after about an hour I still had not seen the "two girls". ????? We started looking around...(all their usual hiding places) and could not find them anywhere. 

Eventually, we found little Sophie lying on her side, motionless, next to the couch ( the room had been dark up to that point so we did not see her earlier ). She had the curved handle of the shopping bag stuck around her tummy along with about 4 inches torn from the rest of the bag. 

This could get really long, but I think you have figured it out already.  She had been playing in the empty shopping bag on the table in the office, tried to jump out "through" the handle, and got stuck with her hind portion still in the bag.

I feel so sad about the trauma she must have felt. She must have cried alot too, because our other "brave" kitty, did not come out of hiding for yet another several hours. 

I imagine her "bouncing" through the house trying to "run away" from her captor and finally giving up, waiting for us to get home ???  My husband ripped the remaining paper and lifted the handle off her and scooped her up.  She was purring so loudly.....and was not hurt at all.  However, she spent the remainder of last night in my lap, licking every inch of her...and then collapsed to sleep with a heavy sigh.

From now on, I will not leave those bags around or anything with small space that they could get stuck in while playing.  That and rubber bands, which for some reason she likes to eat. bear_shocked

Take care everyone, and hug your kitty  bear_wub

Lee Ann

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks for sharing the story, Lee Ann. I've witnessed the sight of a kitty tearing through the house with a bag in close pursuit (really attached to her), and she really was terrified. Poor dear.  bear_cry

Becky

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

We had a pup once who ate a whole box of rubber bands......interesting poop the next day!
poop~poop~poop~poop~poop  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my goodness . . . one of my cats had the identical predicament several years ago.  It happened exactly the same way as Becky's kitty and she was traumatized BIG TIME!!  Never went near a sack again.  Thanks for sharing, Lee Ann.

jissy Posts: 70

So sorry to hear about her trauma. I would still keep an eye out for any blood in her urine or poop around the house, any blood at all could signal internal trauma. Not trying to scare you, just be careful. (i can not help speaking up, it's the old Vet Tech in me!)
also check her mouth in case she tried using it to get out and damaged her teeth or cut herself inside there. Most likely you wont see a cut but you would see redness or infection.

I am sure she is gets lots of love love love!

Snookums Posts: 285

I hug my cat several times a day. He's my first baby...and fortunately he rarely tries to eat anything that isn't edible. He loves playing with yarn, string, and even thread (sometimes with needles still attached) but he's pretty good about not eating it. The dog on the other hand is a "garbage gut". He will try anything just to see if it has taste.

Hope the kitties are on the mend. They all had a trying time.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh my what an upsetting scene that must have been. Poor little thing must have been terrified. My kitty got into the garbage and the plastic bag had a handle. Luckily I was home to hear the awful commotion of him running around the front room with this plastic bag around his neck and garbage spilling out everywhere as he ran. Poor little thing. Another incident was when we put a flea collar on one of our kitties and I came home with her jaw caught in it! Her mouth was so red. She must have been licking around her neck and her mouth got caught. I cut it off and refused all flea collars for my animals since.

Yes, so many lessons to learn.....

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Bless her, glad she is ok.........yes we live and learn with children and fur babies, you have to be so careful  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer