Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I am going to be an aunt in march!  My brother and sis in law are expecting!  I need a sturdy bear that will stand the test of time and baby hands.  Kids can be tough on things.  Jenn

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi Jenn. Yes, I have made a bear for each of my son's that have safety joints and safety eyes. I used synthetic for both of them. My eldest takes his to bed with him and although it's starting to look 'well loved' it holding up!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I make baby-safe animals......no joints, embroidered eyes. Bears, lambs, bunnies all baby-safe
pandamac

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Jenn,
I make them too.... plastic joints & eyes.
I have one customer who just had her 3rd baby.... her husband had ordered a bear for the first baby 6 years ago, then she ordered one for the second baby. The grandparents just ordered the third one! I've asked for a picture of all 3 boys with their bears. The oldest still sleeps with his every night!

We've discussed the components of child safe bears here before so you might want to look in the library or do a search if you need some suggestions.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

yep, my project in Home Spun mag was a child safe bear.  Plastic eyes, embroidered nose, plastic joints, no beads.  I've made a load of bears for my niece and nephew and some of them have needed a wash, so important that they will dry if any accidents happen.

Congratulations on becomming an Aunt!!!  its the best, you can have fun with them and then give them back when they get whinny or too snooty or smelly lol bear_tongue

I'm not in a psssition yet to feel comfortable sewing bears yet so I may order one.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I did make some safety bears for my little cousins and my niece too.
Synthetic fur plus safety eyes and joints and of course filling suitable for children.
I had a try at making one I would give to a baby: cotton plush but no joints and embroided eyes instead of safety eyes.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

PS: I do wait for the children to be at least 3 years old to give them a bear for the bear's security... bear_tongue So i will have one more baby bear to make in one year and as my sister in law is pregnant, anther then to make in less than three years! Yeah!

I've had my firstbear since I was two days old.  Still in one piece! lol.

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

Yup, made the first one for my nephew over 20 years ago (its what brought me to the bear world from cloth dolls).....

The best version is one I created for my daughter about 10 years ago....she's now on her second one, having lost the first one to a roommate's dog (many tears over that one!!)

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

I just designed my first child safe bear, I'm still working out all the details.  But so far she's synthetic plush, no joints & I'm still deciding on either plastic safety or embroidered eyes. I usually never make a practice bear but this pattern is very different then my others & needed lots of adjustments.
This is going to be my first open edition but all bears from this pattern will defiantly be one of a kind.  These special bears are for my Love Buddy series. They will be given out at the PA Children's Hospital to any child who is in need of a special buddy to help get them through their Chemotherapy or any other treatment.
They will also be available on my web site free of charge to any child that is sick.
I'll post a picture as soon as I get the first one completed.

Good Luck with your bear -
early Congratulations on becoming an Aunt &
Best Wishes to Dad, Mom & Baby!!
~ Sandy

wends Posts: 1

Hi

Hoping that someone can help me pretty please!

I am looking for a teddy bear pattern that I have seen before (but can't remember where) its of a bear laying down...and the paws were embroidered with name and birth details.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Wends

Board footer