Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hello everyone !  Hope your summer is going well.

When working with mohair, say you have a large piece and on the "right" and "left" edge it is bare, no mohair...this is called the selvidge?  I think   :redface:
So with the mohair placed in this orientation, would the "nap" of the fur always run towards you?  ( or 'away' from you if turned completely around )

I usually run my hand over the fur and it is usually quite clear that in one certain direction, the fur is "smoothed" rather than roughed up.

However, a couple time now....my teddy forehead ends up with a "cowlick" appearance  :crackup:   The fur leans to the right.

Can't figure how this is happening.   I lay my pattern pieces and draw them all before any cutting is done, so I know it is not a shift in the pattern piece.   

Secondly, is there a way to tame unruly mohair....maybe it was folded for a long time....resulting in the bend the wrong direction?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated   bear_flower

Regards,
Lee Ann

Bear is almost done....I will post a pic soon

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

You are correct, the sides with no nap are the selvages and that should be considered the 'sides'.  Nap will have a tendancy in most cases to be 'smoothed' in one direction and be 'fluffed up' in the other.  The key to having your bear parts cut with the correct nap is when you lay them on the material before cutting.  Most patterns have an arrow on them pointing in one direction.  This should be the direction of the nap when 'smoothed'.  So if your material is set with the selvages on the sides and is smooth napped if going from top to bottom (towards you) then you want the arrows on the pattern pieces pointing to the bottom.

Sometimes you can shift the pattern pieces a bit to angle them to go 'with the nap' the way you want the fur to be angled.  An example of this is the head (to have the nap/fur smooth or fluffy in a particular direction) or bottom of the feet (so the nap goes 'smooth' from toes to heal).  Usually on the head the side pieces will have the nap smooth from top to neck, and will have the gusset smooth from nose to neck.  It might look at bit odd when cutting but when stitching together it all gives an overall direction to the fur.

Experiment some with the nap.  Sometimes if the nap is running a different way than normal it makes for a very fun and cute bear!.

/miniteddyhugs,

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Lee Ann wrote:

However, a couple time now....my teddy forehead ends up with a "cowlick" appearance  crackup   The fur leans to the right.

Can't figure how this is happening.   I lay my pattern pieces and draw them all before any cutting is done, so I know it is not a shift in the pattern piece.   

Secondly, is there a way to tame unruly mohair....maybe it was folded for a long time....resulting in the bend the wrong direction?

Many types of mohair - especially if they're wavy or distressed, have changes in pile direction. With these, I try to make sure that the pile on the head gusset, at least, is going the way I want it to. Yet just today, I was working with a bear that came out with a very unruly forehead. I dampened the pile and then used blue painter's tape to "set" it the way I wanted it. A few hours later, I took the tape off, and voila!

For folded mohair pieces that have acquired wrinkles, I spritz the pile with water so that the piece is fairly damp. Then I pop it into the dryer on low heat with a couple of clean towels. in 15 or 20 minutes, It's nearly dry, and nice and fluffy. Then I brush the whole piece (not with the stiff wire brush, but with the type of brush made for pets) in the direction of the pile. The process doesn't change the character or finish of the mohair, but it does get rid of wrinkles from storage.

Becky

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Thank you both !   Very good tips
I also like to have the nap come forward down over the eyes sometimes but it makes the back of them look like they have "bed head"   :crackup:

bear_flower

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids
2catkiss wrote:

Thank you both !   Very good tips
I also like to have the nap come forward down over the eyes sometimes but it makes the back of them look like they have "bed head"   :crackup:

:rose:

I know what you mean; but there's an easy solution. Just turn the gusset into two pieces. I usually place the split about where the ears would sit, so the front part has the nap going forward and the back bit has the nap going back. Viola! That's what I do with mine as I like them to have a fringe.  bear_grin

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Excellent suggestion...

Thank you !

Kind Regards
Lee Ann  bear_flower

Board footer