Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

lucky.jpgted.jpgIt took some pretty major driving to get there, but the North American Bear Center in Ely, MN here in the U.S. was worth every mile - even those last 65 or so miles of roller-coaster road to the edge of the wilderness. (Ely sits at the southern edge of the Boundary Waters.)

The NABC has so much information that I only took in a small part of it in the three hours I was there. I was truly impressed with the center and with the research Dr. Rogers and his team do.

Here are pictures of Ted and Lucky, the two male resident bears at the center. It must have been too hot for Honey, because she didn't show herself - even at feeding time.

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What I would've given to be a passenger in your car, Becky!!  So glad you got the opportunity to visit one of my bucket list places.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Sue Ann wrote:

What I would've given to be a passenger in your car

I would have loved to have you along for the ride! bear_original I hope you do manage to get there someday. The center does not disappoint!

Becky

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

That is so cool!  I'd love to visit there too!  bear_original

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures.
I would love to visit the NABC one day!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Lucky you, looks like a great trip

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
dangerbears wrote:

It took some pretty major driving to get there, but the North American Bear Center in Ely, MN here in the U.S. was worth every mile - even those last 65 or so miles of roller-coaster road to the edge of the wilderness. (Ely sits at the southern edge of the Boundary Waters.)

The NABC has so much information that I only took in a small part of it in the three hours I was there. I was truly impressed with the center and with the research Dr. Rogers and his team do.

Here are pictures of Ted and Lucky, the two male resident bears at the center. It must have been too hot for Honey, because she didn't show herself - even at feeding time.

Becky

You're very lucky -- not just to go there, but to live on the same continent as real bears.  :)  Were there more types besides black bears there as well?  Hehe - they look quite happy, don't they?  Although something tells me they're not as cuddly as their teddy bear counterparts.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

puca bears puca bears

Awww, Becky.............such memories.......I SO want to go back again! Isn't it almost surreal to actually BE there..you are so used to seeing Ted, Lucky and Honey via the pond cam, and suddenly - there they are - for REAL! Sigh.......love those bears

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Oh Becky, How I would love to have been a passenger in your car as well.  bear_whistle 
It must have been an amazing experience to see these gentle giants in the fur and up close.  I hope you will share some more experiences with us!  :dance:

Hugs,

Peter, Arthur & Vincent

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Thomas wrote:

Were there more types besides black bears there as well?

There is information about every type of North American bear - black, polar, grizzly, kodiak, kermode - but the resident bears are all black bears (the only kind found in this part of the country). They've been surrendered to the center by their former owners and would not be able to live on their own in the wild.

Peter wrote:

How I would love to have been a passenger in your car as well.

Clearly we need to organize a Teddy Talk expedition to the NABC!

Maria wrote:

such memories.......I SO want to go back again!

Maria is the only person I know who has taken the week-long bear course and walked with the wild bears. It must have been a fantastic experience!

This picture shows the inside of the bear center. The skeleton (or model, I assume) in the foreground is of the extinct giant short-faced bear, one of the large ice-age carnivores that used to hunt in North America. It's not wonder the black bears are timid and shoot up into a tree at any strange sound.

Beckyinterior.jpg

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Oh what a wonderful trip. It is so nice that you got to see the boys in person.  I would love to get there some day.

Joanne

puca bears puca bears

Oh Becky.....I could talk about the bears till everyone's ears drop off! The bear course was the most amazing experience EVER - and a HUGE privilege to be allowed into the bear's world. Everything Lynn says about the bears is true - they are gentle and timid creatures. They trust Lynn and are comfortable to be around him, and by association, anyone who is with him - but I witnessed first hand - any strange noise and they disappear! We were visiting with June, and heard another vehicle drawing up (the BBC crew).......and June vanished. And the "mother bears with cubs are dangerous" (!).........we caught up with Juliet and her three cubbies.......as we stood admiring the babies, she wandered off......."watch the kids will you - BRB"!
I don't think I felt at all nervous, right from the first moment - admittedly, I found the huge males a bit daunting at first  - but on the last night there I ended up alone,  outside, sitting chatting to/at One-eyed Jack as he  sat out there on the decking, totally relaxed.........how SPECIAL is that? If any of you get the chance to do the bear course..........go for it - you will love every second.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Maria wrote:

I could talk about the bears till everyone's ears drop off! The bear course was the most amazing experience EVER

I think you have a good audience here - we're all ears! bear_grin

Just visiting the NABC was a thrill for me, but it made me want to go into that wilderness somehow... (I have visions of paying someone younger to paddle me around in a canoe. :whistle:)

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, Maria . . . can't get any better than that . . . chatting one-on-one with Jack!  Did he have anything to say about going through life with only one eye?
And actually seeing the bears and people we meet daily on Lily's FB page - such a treat that must've been.

puca bears puca bears

Awww Becky and SueAnn - what can i say........you just HAVE to go yourselves! I think every second is engraved  on my soul...........it was that special! And Jack? Well- he just radiates a sort of benevolent calm - I swear if he had the right musculature he would really SMILE.  And when you think of all the scars he carries...........well - he is one special , sweet bear bear_wub  bear_wub

Board footer