Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

beanie237 KerryBears
Lincolnshire

I love these eyes, again im not sure how you attatch them properly to the bear, as most i have seen are flat at the back, what do you suggest any advice would be great!!
Many thanks
Kerry  bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use eyes from VanDykes Taxidermy.  They are concave in the back.  You can fill the back with epoxy or polymer clay and stick a small eye with a loop in to sew it in. 

Joanne

Conni Germany

I know and have these eyes only of glass with a small wire loop.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Conni is right - Edinburgh Imports has a style glass eye with whites in the corners. I haven't tried them yet, but I think they'd look best with some eyelids.

And there is something called an "inset eye" that involves techniques I know nothing about. I saw this on one of Kelly Dean's latest grizzlys, and he put the eyes in before stuffing the head, so they must be secured in the fabric (layers?). His definitely had eyelids, and I'm guessing that's what holds the eyes in place.

Becky

beanie237 KerryBears
Lincolnshire

Thanks for the advice  bear_grin  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Bloomsburg, PA

206.jpgHere it is.  I am wondering if this could be made by adding white epoxy or polymer to an existing eye.  Interesting.

Joanne

donatel Berlin
Website

Yes, Joanne. It works with the white polymer too. I used Fimo and then backed together with the german glass eye in the oven.

beanie237 KerryBears
Lincolnshire

ohh so you can put them in the oven then the eyes i mean?
i like your eye sockets donatel are they made from polymer too? bear_grin

beanie237 KerryBears
Lincolnshire

joanne ,
I have just looked on your site wow your bears are amazing!! i love their noses i thought they were polymer at first. but then looking at you techniques page saw thet were felt. i would love to learn how to make the felt noses and eye sockets, lids.
My fiance bought me some felting stuff for my birthday have never used it before, your pictures make it look so simple, is there an online turorial of how to use these techniques that you know of?

Bloomsburg, PA
donatel wrote:

Yes, Joanne. It works with the white polymer too. I used Fimo and then backed together with the german glass eye in the oven.

I think I will try this, thank you.

Bloomsburg, PA
desertmountainbear wrote:
donatel wrote:

I think I will try this, thank you.

Thank you for your comments on the bears.  If you go visit my blog and look on the right hand side and the tags you can see felting a face.  That is a tutorial.  There are others on there too, you have to look through the tags.

donatel Berlin
Website
beanie237 wrote:

ohh so you can put them in the oven then the eyes i mean?
i like your eye sockets donatel are they made from polymer too? :lol:

The eye sockets are not of polymer, they are empty but the white around of eye is of polymer. As first you can form the eye socket and then pull an eye inclusive the white into this hole.

Board footer