ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Hello all,

I recall at the end of last year reading this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … o-bed.html

Then I have just come across this idiotic site:

http://gotmanswers.blogspot.com/2009/04 … e-men.html

Whilst the two sites mentioned are not related, it's likely the statistic for the latter comes from the former, and it's annoying to think that society, and men in general can't get past this fear that men might like teddy bears.

Not all men are:

* Jack-the-lads;
* Deluding themselves of their feelings;
* Afraid of expressing their feelings;
* Lager-louts with one-track minds, set on sex or football;
* Insensitive to others;
* Otherwise needing to be "macho" in a pack of other males (c.f. animal culture)

Yet, this stupid attitude amongst men means those of us (myself strongly included) who do cuddle teddy bears to sleep or otherwise, are still judged based on an act that has no bearing to personality, etc.  It's really annoying.

I wonder what others here think?  :)

-- Thomas Adam

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Thomas wrote:

I wonder what others here think?  :)

Well, you know pretty well what the people here think. The comfort and joy to be found in cuddling a teddy bear, for adults and children alike, is just obvious--to me, anyway.

On the other hand, the attitude expressed by the writer of the blog (or whatever it is) just makes me feel sad. That "pack mentality," where every man needs to censor himself in order to be acceptable to his male buddies, seems like a tremendous waste of human potential. People are incredible--so many creative, intelligent, and unique individuals--and life truly is short.

So I say: Be bold, men and women! If you feel like hugging a teddy bear, or doing anything else that makes the world a better and more interesting place, please do!  bear_flower

Becky

steifmm Posts: 18

I don't see the reason why grown men can't sleep with their teddies. Most of the paranoid ones on that website they sound like low IQ meat heads. I am a normal, straight man and I don't see anything wrong with having Teddy bears. I actually just started to get into  teddy bears, not because I have any issues  but I just appreciate all nicely hand-made items and teddies are just so cute! When I look at their innocent faces, they just make me smile. My partner she doesn't have any problem with this either. I have a few but I don't sleep with them, not because "I'm a man" but because I'm afraid to accidentally damage them while sleeping. Maybe when I get myself one of the Steiff plush machine washable range, I'll sleep with them. But for mohair ones I dare not.

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales
ThomasAdam wrote:

Hello all,

I recall at the end of last year reading this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … o-bed.html

Then I have just come across this idiotic site:

http://gotmanswers.blogspot.com/2009/04 … e-men.html

Whilst the two sites mentioned are not related, it's likely the statistic for the latter comes from the former, and it's annoying to think that society, and men in general can't get past this fear that men might like teddy bears.

Not all men are:

* Jack-the-lads;
* Deluding themselves of their feelings;
* Afraid of expressing their feelings;
* Lager-louts with one-track minds, set on sex or football;
* Insensitive to others;
* Otherwise needing to be "macho" in a pack of other males (c.f. animal culture)

Yet, this stupid attitude amongst men means those of us (myself strongly included) who do cuddle teddy bears to sleep or otherwise, are still judged based on an act that has no bearing to personality, etc.  It's really annoying.

I wonder what others here think?  bear_original

-- Thomas Adam

The site you linked to, is only a joke site ...it says this about it's self- "Disclaimer: Dr. Awesome is not a real person, but is actually a couple of uninformed, idiotic Christian men with too much time on their hands and a penchant for hyperbole. "

So I wouldn't take their statistics seriously at all. Most of the other subjects are funny, they have strong views on making marriage work and other values.
They probably have a teddy too. bear_original

People judge each other for all sorts of reasons, I wish I could say I don't care what other people think of me, but sometimes I do care. ..but we shouldn't let it stop us doing/wearing/being, what we like, as long as we are not hurting others.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Oh I so want to go off right now after reading this.  I'm actually shaking.  I think I want to go find the arctophobic straightie (I can't say the whole thing because I don't use words like that) and let Arcto have a blast with him.  Hubbie has three bears he sleeps with and sometimes he sleeps with my bear Gaither also.  Men who sleep with bears are not wimps, stupid blog guy.  They're called ARCTOPHILES!!!  Whoa, I guess I better get off my soapbox before I mess up the bear I'm working on.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

LOL Jessie that made me laugh  bear_grin

There's nothing wrong with men having bears ~ bears are gorgeous and I feel sorry for those missing out on bears and how awesome they are. I agree that this topic made me angry too, because why shouldn't everyone be allowed to appreciate bears? There's worse things you could be out doing then hugging bears! People are killing each other and getting addicted to things they shouldn't ~ why worry about people who like to hug bears when you could be focussing on helping people without food and homes etc..... Not only should you be able to have and hug bears if you want, but in the scheme of things it's just not something anyone needs to be worrying about or getting angry about.

There's so much  I want to say here right now but I can't as my computer is about to die and I don't want to babble lol ~ so better get back to this bear, which amazingly I have to say is a custom order for one of my male collectors who is straight (not that I think we should have to specify whether someone is straight or gay every time we mention a man who likes bears).

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I just love it..."MEN" can smoke themselves to death, drink their brains out and beat each other sensless and that is "macho".  But, if you hug a sweet teddy bear...
Does any one else see anything wrong with this???

I know it's ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

It's so sad.  I used to hide my love of bears and only show them to close family and friends because of people's stupid remarks that bears are childish and all that bunch of hockey, but now I always have at least one bear on me at all times.  I don't think there's a person that knows me well that doesn't know Arcto and if they don't accept him, they don't accept me.  I was teasing one of the ladies at my physical therapist's and I told her that Arcto should be the mascot of the office because I've always got him every time I'm in therapy, lol.  Of course I'm a girl, but if I saw a guy like that, I'd probably write a song for him.

Yes why is it men think that men have to be all macho and that is attractive ~ when I think most girls I know and myself would find a guy who loved bears way more attractive LOL  bear_grin It's a bit backwards I think the world needs help if they start thinking bears are weird ~ OK so that means the world needs help as a lot of people already do think bears are weird.

HeidiBears florida

What's more manly than wrestling with a big grizzly bear at night?  :crackup:

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Frankly, I love the fact that Hubbie shares my love of bears, although he thinks I carry it too far.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

My husband would never sleep with a bear (although he would probably disagree saying that I sound like one if I snore :redface: ) however he has a healthy respect for my love of bears which I think is the next best thing.

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

I'd really rather meet a man who sleeps with his teddy bear than one who is aiming an automatic rifle with the intention to kill innocent people (like in Norway this summer).

Teddy1234 Ready Teddy Go
Oxford
Website

I used to collect and sell Disney Beanies and met many men at fairs who also collected them and were more obsessed than I was! Don't see anything wrong with Men collecting bears but filling the bed with them is a bit far in my opinion  bear_whistle

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

What's so wrong with wanting to cuddle a teddy bear?  I don't know why people think teddies are childish or for wimps.  Just because you're a guy, you still need love too.  What better way to receive love than from a sweet, loving, precious teddy bear *hugs Freddie the artist bear*?

Board footer