Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

DDar Posts: 11
Website

Or do you need to hand-sew it for it to count as hand-made? I'm just wondering if using a sewing machine diminishes the value of a bear in any way.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

It still counts as handmade.  And there are many good reasons to use one.   It does not diminish the value in anyway as far as I know.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's still handmade, just as the clothes my mom sewed (on a machine) for my sister and me were handmade clothes. It means the bear was handcrafted by one person rather than manufactured in assembly-line fashion.

And I agree with Joanne. Unless your bears are very small, there may be good reasons (such as seam strength) to use a sewing machine.

Becky

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I use my sewing machine to sew all but the gusset and foot/paw pads and I still consider my bears to be handmade.  I would do the gusset on the machine as well but they always came out horribly crooked. bear_rolleyes

Us Bears Pennsylvania

A carpenter who uses a power saw to cut the wood still makes "handmade" furniture.

The furniture maker still guides his tools, power or manual, using his hands.  The Bear maker still guides the fabric through the machine with her hands.  Thus, the Bears are still "handmade."

If you want to differentiate your product from something assembled with a sewing machine, you could use the term "Hand Stitched."

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I agree that 'hand stitched' might be the way to go...but I think machine stitched is just as good....as my mother used to say 'why have a dog and bark yourself!'

Us Bears Pennsylvania

What I meant to say is IF you hand stitch your Bears AND you want to differentiate your product from other people who make Bears using a sewing machine, you should say so in those words, "Hand Stitched."

Website
Us Bears wrote:

What I meant to say is IF you hand stitch your Bears AND you want to differentiate your product from other people who make Bears using a sewing machine, you should say so in those words, "Hand Stitched."

I totally see what you're saying. However, now that I hear that one is not actually more valuable than the other, I think I'll give machine stitching a try. I have a hard time getting my seams to be as consistent and strong as those that the machine makes.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I'd say it has a lot to do with one's sewing ability and the look that one is trying to achieve.

If you are a very practiced hand sewer, it might be fairly easy and fast to sew with needle and thread but, if not, the machine will be the way to go.  I would also venture to say that a hand stitched Bear might come out a little more rustic looking than a machine stitched Bear. 

It depends on what you want your Bear to look like.

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

I've just recently gone from hand stitching to using the machine on bears that the size is suitable.  I like it, and I like the way they turn out just as much as the hand stitched.  Oh, and the time I save is a nice perk!!  :dance: I really needed to find a way to make my bears a bit faster. And I feel that they can still be considered hand made.   bear_thumb

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I never machine sew however this is for one and only reason: I am scared of the machine LOL  :crackup:

Therefore I only ever machine sew, even my 20" bears.

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_original I always hand stitch just about everything as sewing machines and I are not the best of mates and bits and pieces, bad language fly everywhere - even dogs and hubby take cover if they see the machine coming out  :crackup: Oh yes I have got one modern and upto date but..........

Website

I've got a question for those of you who use machines:

How do you do areas that curve and that need to be attached to other already assembled parts? For example: Attaching the muzzle to the head, or attaching the ears, etc...

And for those of you who hand stitch:
How do you get the stitches to be as strong and tight as those the machine makes?

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

There was a post on this recently in the Tips and Techniques section (where you'll find a lot of answers, as well as the library in the top left of the screen) but basically most of us tack all the pieces together, mostly with whip stitch, before running them through the machine.  Doing the muzzle and paw pads are tricky, especially on smaller bears and I think the consensus was those get hand sewn in.  You'll need to use very tiny backstitch to get the strong stitches, and a good deal of practice

Board footer