Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Hi Everyone

I'd like to introduce you to Abbey. She is a 7 week old Lab/Boarder Collie X.  We brought her home from a private shelter on Saturday at 6 weeks old.  She was left in a farmers field along with her brothers and sisters.  The people that left her there called the shelter a while after the left them.  The shelter only found 4 puppies they don't know how many there were.  Poor Abbey's had a rough start, but is settling in just fine now.  She has her issues but is learning to trust and love and let us love her.  I don't think she was really showed any attention till the shelter took her in and they only had her for a couple of days.

Abbey.jpg

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Awww she's gorgeous congrats on adopting her. Makes me teary to see her, my lab just died at 6:30pm last Sunday and I miss her so much.... her name was Allie. She was a gold lab however I'm looking into getting a black lab soon, a puppy. I miss my lab but with 5 other dogs there's hardly nothing to do lol.

It's so lovely you rescued her, she's gorgeous and looks very smart. Best of luck with her! bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm melting... bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Good luck with your journey. If I know puppies at all, she'll soon learn that you're the bestest humans ever!

And Gabriele, sorry to hear about your dog. bear_sad

Becky

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Thank you

Gabrielle its taken me over 3 years to get Abbey after losing my last dog. It was always going to take a special puppy. When I heard what her life had been like I jut melted and couldn't help myself. I wanted all 4 of them I felt sorry or them but old only take one. She's learning quickly and I'm amazed by it.  What does break my heart though is she seems to have horrible puppymares she shakes so badly and sometimes shrieks in her sleep. But they are getting further apart it used to happen all the time when she slept unless I was holding her, and when I was holding her she kept waking up and touching my face with her paws like she was just checking to see if someone was really there.  It's only been 5 days and she's settling in well.

And I'm not sure that we are the bestest Becky but we will give it our best shot to make her as happy as possible.

Amber

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What an adorable and very lucky little pooch!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

TinyPixi West Yorkshire

Awwww well done you for giving her a fresh start! She's adorable........

Have you heard of Bach Flower Remedies......They can be really useful for treating animals with trauma/issues

http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm

http://www.bachflower.com/Article-Pets.htm

Worth a read...
bear_original

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Aaawwww, you'd have to be made of stone not to touched by that beautiful little face ..  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
I felt teary myself reading the posts, little animals touch us in the most wonderful ways, especially when you mentioned the paw to your face, I'd had it my then!  Your little Abbey is a very lucky little dog and you are so very lucky to have found her, you are surely in for many years of pure delight!!

Gabriele - I'm so sorry to hear about Allie.  This is the big downfall of falling in love with our little furry friends but time is the great healer as they say.  But one lovely happy day, you will again find another special little face that will tug at your heartstrings.  :hug:

Hugs to all.

Marilyn x bear_flower

Karon Posts: 751

She is very cute  - love the turned over ears!

Karon

Mmmm...the name sounds familiar Amber bear_whistle

I know this is amber's post so I won't say too much it's not about me lol, just a quick thanks to everyone and your words about Allie bear_original Thanks all you lovely people, I do miss her bear_original

The bad dreams will go away eventually Amber, most of my dogs are rescues ~ it's amazing how they can come out of horrible environments and heal so well both physically and mentally. Give her time and she will forget. Dogs live in the moment, soon she won't even remember her time as a puppy and the things she went through.

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Gabrielle its hard o lose them. I think if I looked at everything over the last 3 years I probably grieved more for the dog then the people I've lost over the same time.  It is not an easy thing to to go through. I fact I think it is the hardest. My boss would agree he lost both of his goldens in one year. And one of them at the same time that I was off for a family loss, he was in worse shape than I was. Animals touch us in a different way than people do. They give love that no person could ever match.  When it is gone it hits us pretty hard and leaves an empty space that is hard to fill.  But when the time is right you'll get other and that space will be filled but in a different way. 

If you want to talk just send me a pm.

Thank you everyone.  Tiny I will look at the sites thank you for finding them for me. I've noticed one big thing about Abbey the level of intelligence  is amazing she's picking up things in short order at 7 weeks she has learned to sit on command in 2 tries.  She thrives on praise.  We will have to be careful with her though shes proving the statement " once for a boarder collie is habit" to be very true. I've had 3 dogs before her in my life and I don't think they've had her level of intelligence. It's going to be a challenge.  She heards me out the door now in the morning because my mom comes to visit and feed and play with her in the early afternoon.  It's like go away so grandma can come.  Then she heards my mom out as if o say go away mommy and daddy are coming home. lol

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Awww, she is so adorable!  bear_wub   
Well done, Amber, for giving her a new lease on life.  :clap:  She is a very lucky puppy to have found you and I am sure that with lots of patience and lots of TLC, she will soon settle in and her nightmares will turn into lovely dreams.  bear_flower 

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Aaahh, she is so cute.  I am sure with love she will be the best dogs.  I have had a couple of rescued dogs and they are the most grateful.  They seem to never forget where they came from and cherish everything they have so much more.

Joanne

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

She snuggled up beside me in bed this morning and was nudging me with her nose.  I missed the suttle hint that was mommy get up and play with me and was just enjoying the cuddles.  She pounced in my face and that was the end of that for me I was up and she was ready to go.  I aslo swear that I left a pair of underwear on the bed this morning with my socks, I turned around and they were gone.  Still didn't find them when I went to leave for work.  Probably go home and find them in her hiding place.  Its funny she has a place where she hides all her toys and sometimes food.  I'm hoping that she out grows the need to feel that she has to do that.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have a now 7 month old Chihuahua.  He has and still does that.  I find stuff hidden all over the house.  He keeps a nest under the sofa.  It is so funny to watch.  I think that it just might be in some dogs nature.  Thor was loved since the beginning.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Amber wrote:

And I'm not sure that we are the bestest Becky but we will give it our best shot to make her as happy as possible.

Out pets usually think that we are. Lucky us! bear_original

Becky

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

bear_wub  What a cutie! bear_laugh

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Thank you Everyone

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Awww, such a sweet story - I was so sorry to hear about her nightmares and it made me smile to read about her waking up and touching your
face with her paw just to make sure you were there and you were going to keep her safe!
Enjoy your new little furry friend (may want to buy some new underwear just in case she has decided that is her toy of choice!!!!)
Hugs,
Janice

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Abby is darling. bear_wub  the world needs more people like you to adopt homeless animals and give them god homes.  :hug:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

An adorable puppy!  bear_wub ...and she now has a lovely home with you Amber  :hug:

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

My husband got really frustrated last night with her.  He filled her water dish, she had a little drink then started dragging it around th room and into the bedroom.  Water went everywhere she was so proud of herself. It didn't help that I was trying not to laugh.  All my dogs in the past have done this it is just a faze in puppy play. Jay has never had a puppy though.  Went out yesterday and came home with the book puppies for dummies.  He was thrilled.

LOL I like the sound of that book. All my dogs had weighted water bowls when they were puppies for exactly this reason bear_original My Great Dane is still a puppy technically (10 months old) and still tries her hardest to move the bowl. She also has an awful habit of burying her toys in REALLY deep holes in the garden (and being toys for a Great Dane they're very expensive toys lol - I'm not amused). I live on a property and all the dogs have this annoying habit of literally hurling their toys into the really deep damn. They get a thrill from the splash and that's the end of it lol. Toy never seen again as they always choose the heaviest ones so they can get the biggest splash. My lab who passed away used to go in and collect the toys (she loved water and duck-diving) for me and bring them back to me not the other dogs lol - but now the toys just disappear and never come back bear_sad

Enjoy the puppy days they're really special, sometimes annoying but it's the annoying things you remember. bear_original

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Well this game with the water dish is now taken to a new level.  I think we need to get her a smaller dish.  Tonight I walked by and she was getting a drink.  She was sitting in her water dish.  I've been trying to figure out all day why her little bum is always wet.  Now I know.  On the plus side she's getting over her water issues.  Just got to keep hubby calm and keep reminding him she's a baby. 

My old dog would have probably loved diving with your lab.  I miss her.  Funny seeing things that Abbey does, it reminds me a lot of the things that my old dog did at her age.  I guess that is why I'm calm about it.  I realize it will pass one day and the funny things will be fewer and far between instead of hourly.

Board footer