Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

MATOSKAH-Nose.jpgMATOSKAH-550X632.jpgJust finished my second bear - Matoskah, I believe it's a Sioux name meaning 'White Bear'.  He (or is it she?) is 19 inches tall and made with an unbelievably soft ivory mohair with cashmere pads and blue Buzzard eyes.  I managed to get both arms straight (untwisted) this time and even put armatures in them (bendy perming curlers) which work great.  I learned a little more about face sculpting and succeeded in creating a definite indentation across the bridge of the nose and under the chin.  I love the beautifully clipped faces on Julia Shepherd bears but it must take a lot of practice as my attempt didn't quite hit the mark, neither did the nose which is a bit uneven!   But I've always wanted a white bear so I love him anyway!

Frances

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Awww he's beautiful and to be totally honest with you so you know I'm not just saying it, he's absolutely gorgeous for your second bear. Did you design the pattern yourself? He's gorgeous regardless of whether you did or you didn't. I also love perm curlers as armatures they're fantastic and work wonders. bear_original Big thumbs up he's a gorgeous bear, and I have to say not many bears look so gorgeous completely white with not many contrasting features - I never use totally white without colourful accessories etc to contrast but this bear looks gorgeous and you've really captures an amazing expression in the face. bear_laugh Well done, be proud of yourself!

P.S - your noses will improve. Everyone's noses start out uneven, trust me bear_original

Thanks Gabrielle!  He was made from a Christies bear pattern, I think I'll be using bought patterns for a long time before I even think of designing one of my own.  I did consider adding a bit of shading around his eyes but I was terrified of ruining him!  It seems a little narcissistic to put pictures of my bears on here when I am so new to this, but I really welcome the helpful comments, suggestions and any criticisms too from such talented people.  Until I found this site I had never realised the wide variety of styles and the amazing skill that goes into making them.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
FrancesAnne wrote:

It seems a little narcissistic to put pictures of my bears on here when I am so new to this, but I really welcome the helpful comments, suggestions and any criticisms too from such talented people.

He is really lovely, Frances; the fur looks absolutely delightful and the overal shape and look of the bear is great!
I wish I could give you some criticism ( bear_whistle ), but I really can't: I just look at the bear as a whole and then I know whether I like him or not; even if he might have some flaws, that doesn't really matter to me.  bear_flower

I can't wait to see your next endeavours...  :dance:

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

He is really great!  Lots of love there.  When I am getting ready to shade, I find a scrap of the fur and do the shading on it first.  I try all kinds of different colors, marker types and intensity.  I then cut the scraps to fit the area I want to shade and pin them, one at a time, in place to see what I think.  I am then a little bit braver at shading the real thing!   :hug: TC

Thank you Thelma, that's a great idea I'll definitely try that next time.

Frances   bear_original

Thelma I'd never thought of that idea for shading! I love shading it is my number one fav part of bear making. All through every step of making a bear I'm basically just hanging out for the shading at the end I adore it. But my mum, Robyn who is the other creator in GJOYful Bears, hates shading it scares her to think she may ruin it as it can't come off (this thought never occurred to me I was too enthusiastic lol) so I will let her know what you do it may help her build up some confidence in the shading department (I have been shading her bears for her so far lol).

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Thanks, Gabriele!  I figured this out after many a shading faux paux!  Hope your mom finds it helpful as well!   :hug: TC

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I really do think that this bear is stunning.  I can't believe it is only bear #2.  You certainly have the talent.

Joanne

I thought this too Joanne ~ it's such a gorgeous bear full of such personality. I too can't believe it is only bear #2. Well done Frances bear_original:):) Can't wait to see bear #4, #5, #6 and infinity! LOL bear_laugh:D:D

Board footer